Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #1
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
How to get her to READ?!

DD is 5 and reading just is not clicking for her.

She can spell all her sight words just not read them.

For example, I have these cards I made up with the ending sounds (-an, -at, -og, etc) and then the beginning sounds on another card (F-an, C-at, L-og, etc)....if I lay the -an card out with ALL the beginning letters and say "Make the word FAN." She'll grab the F and make FAN. But if we're reading one of her beginning readers that has the word 'fan' in it and I point to it and say "The cat has a...." she just shouts out random words "Rat!" or something like that.

We go over and over and over it and it won't click

Advertisement

Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How to get her to READ?!

I've been using reading eggs with success for my 5 year old
Old 02-27-2013, 09:17 AM   #3
mamaspice
Registered Users

Say,"Oh wait, that word starts with an f. What sound does f make? Does rat start with an fff sound? What other word could that be?"

Reading a sentence is a lot more complex that a word by itself. It will take a lot of practice and repetition. Just keep it fun and keep at it.

Are you pointing to each word so she doesn't get lost in the page?

Last edited by mamaspice; 02-27-2013 at 09:19 AM.
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #4
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just keep working with her. She is only 5. Kids don't have to read at age 5 even though we want them to. My oldest is 7 and reading is finally clicking with him. I worried and worried and worried about it. But, it really isn't that big of a deal. Many, many children aren't ready to really read at 5. So, I say try to relax and just keep working at it.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yeah I finger along the words and sound each word out as we go along the sentence and then repeat the word after I sound it out and then repeat the sentence without sounding it out pointing at each word.

She's been doing Starfall...
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 09:31 AM   #6
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am a helper at our church for AWANA....I'm in the kindergarten room usually and those kids (most of them are 6 now) cannot read but it bugs me that she can build words but not look at the word she just built and read it...
Old 02-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #7
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds very normal to me. I would relax and leave her alone with it. She will get it. In my experience the more I force something the more frustrated my kids get and the longer it takes. Keep practicing but keep it fun.

My just 6 year old is just now figuring out how to read. He has been able to pick out site words for awhile but ready is just now clicking. He still sounds out a lot of words.

We go slow and I do not push AT ALL.. I want reading to be enjoying and not something that he dreads cause everyone is pushing/forcing him.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:39 AM   #8
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was going to say be patient and don't worry about it too. I didn't know how to read until I was 6 going on 7. In the "old" days, late 70s and early 80s, they used to send kids home to wait another year before allowing them to take part in school if they were not the right age to read.

I know the trend is different now, but I do believe some kids are just not ready to make that mental connection. They are not cognitively ready.

According to about.com
Quote:
Many 5-year-olds have already mastered the alphabet. They are able to write letters and are familiar with their corresponding sounds. Reading abilities can vary at this age; while some children may be just beginning to learn simple words, others may be reading first-grade level books.
And about 6 year olds they say:
Quote:
Reading will begin to really take off at this age. Many 6-year-olds will begin or continue to develop independent reading, and may begin to enjoy writing stories, especially about themselves. (Six-year-olds may be able to write a short paragraph about what they did over summer vacation or a weekend, for instance.)
I'd keep at it and guide her, but if you make too big a deal of it now, you might make her feel resentful about reading later on. There is a reason they used to introduce reading at age 6 in the old days, it was because that was the age that it clicked best for the majority of kids.

Lately, I think we are all in a rush to have our kids perform ahead of their cognitive development and it can be harmful.

It is good to foster the reading thing and to keep at it, but keep in mind developmental stages too.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:30 PM   #9
7mom7
Registered Users

I would get her some Bob Books and stop "trying" to teach for the time being. If she can spell then she understands how it works and she'll probably be able to figure them out on her own. DS kind of understood a little about reading but took the initiative to figure it out on his own when I gave him the Bob Books. I'd give him the whole box at bedtime or when he was going potty. One day I heard him in there reading out loud to himself. Prior to that when I tried to teach him it wasn't clicking. Even after he could "read" we didn't rush right into reading lessons. I let him get more comfortable with it for a few months and then we started the K Hooked on Phonics curriculum. It was all pretty much a review for him at that point.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #10
blondeviolin
Registered Users
seller
seller

Decoding (reading) and encoding (spelling) are two different skills. Yes, they are connected and similar, but they are not the same. I'd have her read each sound at a time while she's in this beginning stage. Don't expect her to know the whole word right away. The best way for kids to gain fluency/automaticity with words is to sound them out over and over again.