Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-28-2013, 10:55 AM   #21
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Locking up food!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley84 View Post
Don't be so quick to judge. I've see more than one Maury/Dr Phil episode where the parents of an obese child were asked why the heck they didn't put a lock on the fridge/pantry.

I used to work at a residential treatment facility for children with mental illnesses and behavioral disorders. Many of our kids came from backgrounds of severe abuse and neglect. They would hoard food to no end. We had to lock the food up or too much went to waste.

Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.
Agreed. My son has never had a mental illness or behavior issues (that we are aware of) nor severe neglect or abuse of any kind. Even still, up until about a year or two ago, we had a SEVERE problem with stealing food. He would only do it with things like any candy, snacks, or treats. The thing is, if he would just ask we had no problem with him having these things...within reason. With DS, though, he would steal it and eat the entire package, but ALWAYS left the last one. That is how we could tell it was him doing it. He would hide the wrappers in his bedroom somewhere. With him, it wasn't a matter of being hungry b/c he never stole food that wasn't some kind of treat. He also had 3 meals per day, and has always been allowed to eat until full, as well as a snack or two.

We got to the point where we kept any snack or treat type food in a plastic storage container in our bedroom closet, and we just didn't keep that stuff out for him to steal or gorge himself on. I have a HUGE sweet tooth and I still wanted these items, otherwise we would have just stopped buying them. I just made sure to only eat them at night after he went to bed. This worked well for us for years. I don't know if DS just grew out of it, or he is maturing, or what, but he doesn't steal food anymore and we can keep snacks in the kitchen again. He still leaves the last chip in the bag, cookie in the box, etc. Old habits die hard, I guess.

Advertisement

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:02 AM   #22
GreenHome Sewing
Registered Users
Formerly: Jonah Baby
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsGiggles View Post
I've found success by leaving it at the store. ...all those foods I really shouldn't have
LOL!

I have two very challenging foraging boys, both with a degree of special needs. They also think that they are hungry 24/7.
I'm failing at locking up ALL the food, unfortunately, but for my fridge and freezer I just ratchet strap it closed.
My mom bought our fridge, so I didn't want to damage it by putting external locks on. One ratchet strap around the back of the fridge, looped through the door handles, hooked together and tightened snug does the trick.
One of my cupboards has a combo lock on it, but I'm not very good at engineering a way to prevent them from sticking their arms through the small opening to dig around. Usually by the time they are doing this I hear them anyway.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:12 AM   #23
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildasMum View Post

I would bet if he made himself sick on "sometimes" foods, he would learn quickly not to steal them. Locking up food makes me afraid that you may be setting up your child for food/eating habit problems in the future.
This doesn't always happen. I have TWO diabetic children and they steal food left & right. It is very common for children to steal food. Especially if they have a huge reason. My kids make themselves deathly sick and they don't care. I had to lock all food up for years with DS1. I had 2 Brinks locks on the 2 cabinets with food. Then I locked the keys up in the fridge and used a combination bike lock on the fridge. We have moved and our new place doesn't have the same type cabinets so I can't lock the food up the same way. I tried bike locks but my 5 yo has such skinny wrists he can slide his hand inside & still get whatever he wants.

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #24
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickshep19 View Post
This doesn't always happen. I have TWO diabetic children and they steal food left & right. It is very common for children to steal food. Especially if they have a huge reason. My kids make themselves deathly sick and they don't care. I had to lock all food up for years with DS1. I had 2 Brinks locks on the 2 cabinets with food. Then I locked the keys up in the fridge and used a combination bike lock on the fridge. We have moved and our new place doesn't have the same type cabinets so I can't lock the food up the same way. I tried bike locks but my 5 yo has such skinny wrists he can slide his hand inside & still get whatever he wants.

Agree also...my son would eat until sick, then turn around and do it again.

Have you tried Tot Locks? That might work! The magnets are SUPER strong, there is no way your kids would get past them. Then lock the key in the fridge like before.

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.

Last edited by somo_chickenlady; 02-28-2013 at 11:16 AM.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:22 AM   #25
mamaspice
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildasMum

I would bet if he made himself sick on "sometimes" foods, he would learn quickly not to steal them. Locking up food makes me afraid that you may be setting up your child for food/eating habit problems in the future.
I tend to agree with this, unless there is an allergy present.
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #26
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by somo_chickenlady View Post

Have you tried Tot Locks? That might work! The magnets are SUPER strong, there is no way your kids would get past them. Then lock the key in the fridge like before.
Thanks! I added them to my cart on Amazon so I can show DH.

P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:31 PM   #27
ashersmomoo
Registered Users
seller

Being sick will not stop him. He is not the victim of any abuse or neglect or behavioral issues or special needs. The problem stems from feeding issues as a baby. He had very severe GERD and silent aspirations. Because of this he was on medication and only drank VERY thick breast milk through a premie nipple for 13 months. He was essentially over full and starving. His ability to gauge hunger was lost. They told us at Children's Hospital that he had a 500% greater chance of obesity because of this. I want my baby to be healthy and happy and whole. I cook 90% of our food entirely from scratch. The only junk DH brings in. He can eat as much fruit and veggies as he wants and I cook 3 meals of whole food daily. He also recently started playing hockey. I want to help him learn how to eat, but in the meantime I worry for his health. He has nightmares that people are calling him fat. He eats every meal like he is starving. It's all we can do to work with him on not using his hands and taking a drink and a breath between bites. And trust me, I work very hard to shield him from having emotional issues. I do NOT want that. But I can't let him be diabetic and morbidly obese by age 10, can I???
DW to my BFF and DH! In SAHM heaven to my 3 perfect boys: Asher (9/2/05) , Oliver (2/24/08) , and Gabriel (3/30/12) Novice urban farmer, trying to feed my family on 1/3 acre! http://wildcardgardenbug.blogspot.com/
ashersmomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:19 AM   #28
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I've heard good things about the Tot Locks someone else mentioned. They use magnets and a key to open. There's nothing on the outside of the cupboards and no gap a child could slip their hand through. As far as the fridge, something like PBAki posted might be your best option. If the worst offending foods are ones your DH buys, can you guys work out another place to stash those items if they are few? Maybe a combination of limited access, minimal taboo items, and therapy can help your DS work through this. Good luck mama!
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:12 AM   #29
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildasMum View Post
But what about binge eaters they make themselves sick all the time and it doesn't stop them. My concern is that children (and even some adults)especially can't always control themselves. So if there is a reason he is doing this ,the urge may be stronger than his ability to reason out why he shouldn't eat those foods. Just like you would stop a child from touching a hot surface rather than let him burn himself,it may be necessary to stop him from hurting himself with food. I think that first you need to make sure he can't have access to the foods that are causing problems and then you can help him work out ways to learn to control himself. I think you are on the right track mama.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:59 AM   #30
Angel89411
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by somo_chickenlady

I second magnet locks. We lost the key. I have to buy another. I can find no other magnet strong enough to open it. We use ours on our entertainment center to lock up the PS3 and movies and such. DS1, who has figured out a way past every type of baby gate we could find and countless different child proof things. It's not that he can't figure it out, it's that without the key there is no way to open it.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote