Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Cavities

I am pretty sure my three year old daughter has several cavities. I feel so bad. I know it should not surprise me since I was already told that lead exposure could increase her chances of cavities.

Anyone been there, done that with a three year old?

Advertisement

whitneywalters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Cavities

my daughter was 5 with her ton of cavities. her dad had some condition where the pits of his teeth are deep. well she had like 7 or 9 cavities. first dr wanted to cao all her teeth. 2nd dentist told us he'd wrap her down and do sternum rubbing if she fussed too much. NO WAY you freek.
3rd dr put in white fillings and although it costs over $2K, she looked pretty yet and had nice teeth!! the next teeth that came in were fine. we used gas and shots only when needed. she was so out of it, she never fussed. im not a shot person so i felt better w that and he used an air drill vs a regular metal drilling procedure.

so ask around. make sure you can stay in the room with your child.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would love to see these replies as well. 3YO DD was recently diagnosed with two cavities. I don't know if I should just follow orders and have them drilled and filled, or get a second opinion...
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:49 PM   #4
mysticmomma1879
Registered Users
seller
seller

My older two underwent general anesthesia for dental work around that age.
mysticmomma1879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #5
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2jandb View Post
I would love to see these replies as well. 3YO DD was recently diagnosed with two cavities. I don't know if I should just follow orders and have them drilled and filled, or get a second opinion...
yeesh, do what you feel is right. I have a 6 yr old with a cavity thats been the same size for a yr. I didnt want to get it filled thinking it would fall out soon. its crazy to spend $250 for a white filling when its coming out in a yr. we pay out of pocket too and with 5 kids you pick and choose. I dont think its that big a deal to let it go if its a small cavity and you brush that spot really good. its probably not going to spread much. but thats just my opinion and experience.

heck, I had one dentist tell me my 8 yr old needed a root canal on a molar and a possible crown. $1800? no thanks. we yanked it out thru another dentist. the old dentist saw us for a cleaning and ripped us a new one- we left him. the guy who pulled it said no way would I do a root canal on a child that young. plus he has wisdom tooth going to fill its spot perfectly.

point is, second opinions are good.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:08 PM   #6
Mags462
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think it depends entirely upon the disposition of the child.....

DS2 has TERRIBLE teeth from genetics (he's faring much better than his cousins, but still)..... we start taking our kids for bi-yearly cleaning at 18mo old. At 2yr he needed a crown/cap and have 3 fillings. 2.5 year he needed 5, yes 5 cavities filled. Etc, etc, etc.... he has never had anything but nitrus gas and shots in office. No general anesthesia. But i am a pretty up front mom in general. I let him know about it all up front - that it might hurt for a minute or two but then it would get better. He was totally fine with me holding his hand, covered in his blanket, and watching cartoons.

DS3 is another story entirely.... he starts crying at ALL doctor offices as soon as we sit down in the waiting room. He had a lot of health problems as a baby and toddler that he just cannot handle it. He has been the to dentist 4 times, but this last time was the first he actually allowed them to properly clean his teeth (although he kept his eyes shut VERY tightly ).... and i was so nervous that he would have the bad teeth of DS2 - mercifully he is like DS1 and has perfect teeth. No cavities. But i am telling you if he DID need more than a cleaning it would be anesthesia all the way. That kid would flip his lid.

So if you think your DD can handle it and the dentist is willing to try i would first try in office - if that doesn't go well then obviously do something else...

It's so hard....
Old 02-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #7
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirthmom View Post
yeesh, do what you feel is right. I have a 6 yr old with a cavity thats been the same size for a yr. I didnt want to get it filled thinking it would fall out soon. its crazy to spend $250 for a white filling when its coming out in a yr. we pay out of pocket too and with 5 kids you pick and choose. I dont think its that big a deal to let it go if its a small cavity and you brush that spot really good. its probably not going to spread much. but thats just my opinion and experience.

heck, I had one dentist tell me my 8 yr old needed a root canal on a molar and a possible crown. $1800? no thanks. we yanked it out thru another dentist. the old dentist saw us for a cleaning and ripped us a new one- we left him. the guy who pulled it said no way would I do a root canal on a child that young. plus he has wisdom tooth going to fill its spot perfectly.

point is, second opinions are good.

Yes......make sure you ask lots of questions, question everything they tell you.....also I would recommend a pediatric dentist not a general one.

We had some issues this year with our regular kids dentist(not pediatric) .....basically the 2nd tooth in less than a year that they had treated/filled and then had gotten even worse(cavity then abscess-extraction-spacer.......other side was cavity...then they said baby root canal...then stainless steel crown??) By the time they told me the other tooths diagnoses....btw...a month after his all clear check up, I noticed the filling feel out.....I said no way, you've messed up two teeth now. Brought him to a pediatric dentist and they could tell from the same xray that his adult tooth was coming up anyway so no need for baby root canal and cap.

Basically the pediatric dentist deal only with kids and generally have more knowledge in this area. Make sure you are in the room as I did hear a horrible story on OT a few months ago re work they did on the childs teeth....
Old 02-27-2013, 09:35 PM   #8
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh...I haven't had a child that young with cavities even though my DS1 doesn't have great teeth it was more like 5/6. But my 3yr old sits nicely for his check up....tv above the chair, music etc....
Old 02-27-2013, 11:39 PM   #9
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is new to us, the older kids have great teeth. I know Kairi would freak at the dentist going in and having them look at the cavities is going to be hard enough.

Just from me looking in her mouth, it looks like at least four teeth have cavities. I am pretty upset
whitneywalters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:49 AM   #10
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our 3 year old has 8 or so. It is part genetics and part our fault. We let him sleep with a bottle and I skipped the fluoride. Major mommy guilt. He let them fill 1, the one that was on his front tooth therefor obviously noticeable and he did awesome. But then they tried to seal his molars and that's when things when bad. He won't let them near him since. We've always been great at brushing with him; he loves it and flossing and rinsing. We're torn as to what to do- do we give him gas/drugs and fill them or just let them be until they fall out? ugh.

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote