Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-28-2013, 06:56 AM   #11
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Cavities

If you want to try a natural approach, google "natural remedies to heal cavities." I wanted to go this route with my son, but he has a fish allergy.

We ended up having to put DS under at 4 years old because of the amount of cavities he has. (I'm blessed with a loving mother who thinks all kids should have ginger ale and candy to their heart's content.) Originally, DS was just going to be numbed and then have his fillings put in, but he freaked out over the needle so we went to another dentist (a pediatric dentist) who suggested putting him under. He also needed one crown. The process was only a few hours and took place in a hospital. DS woke up quite fussy but he was ok.

Advertisement

keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:30 AM   #12
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hmm. Well, our dentist said that my DDs cavities were small enough that numbing wouldn't be necessary... Any thoughts on this? Is numbing ever not necessary?

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread but rather contributing to the conversation!
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:58 AM   #13
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

James had a TON of cavities at that age...ended up with fillings & caps *sigh* and under GA. IME, most dentists will not fill more then 1 or 2 without GA in a kid that young. Aldria had 1 filling at 4 but the dentist told me she was only doing it on someone so young (without GA) because she only had 1. They did gas and a shot once the gas was on board.

Also, as a FYI (since you have the same delta dental ins we do) they won't pay for white fillings at all, only the silver ones...when I inquired with Aldria it was an additional $100...we went with silver for her because we don't have $100 LOL. Just so you're aware...
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)

Last edited by MamaNae; 02-28-2013 at 08:01 AM.
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:50 AM   #14
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes....if the fillings are shallow then they may not need numbing.

Also true about the silver vs white.....our insurance company(cigna dental) does the same thing....such bs as if I'm going to choose a silver esp for myself on a permanant teeth. At least we wracked up our benefits usage this year.....they really do try to cheap out of doing stuff. They are questioning a crown I need done that my dentist are getting pre approval on, questioning when the filling in the tooth was done(about 12 years ago) and the dentist told me that sometimes if it's that big back molar(it is) that they won't cover it as it's too big???? As in $$$ for the porcelin crown.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:03 AM   #15
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My 3yr old had a total mouth restoration in October. We got several opinions before doing the GA route. We even tried gas and no go. It would have taken over 8 visits to get it all done with gas. It was all done in three hours with GA. Not getting them filled, crowned, etc was a bad idea, even on baby teeth. If the cavity gets too deep, it can cause the permanent adult teeth to have damage. You also CAN heal cavities naturally, but only if there is not already a hole in the tooth. If there is a hole, it is in the dentin and needs to be repaired. DD has stainless steel crowns and darker fillings because it's all on her back teeth. You barely notice them and it saved us a ton of money, since our insurance has a $1500 cap per person. We cleared that walking in the door. Our total OOP was $4400.
DD's issues stem from us letting her have a bottle too long and no fluoride. We now use flouride toothpaste for her and for our 19mth old.
Definitely find a good peds dentist. Ours is great and really talks to us about the options. When your 3yr old has 16 cavities, though, there aren't a whole lot of options. She now has one small one in a front tooth and it is being filled with no numbing, but under gas in March.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #16
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

^^ We went fluoride free too in regards to DS's toothpaste. I also had him use a natural mouth wash. Needless to say, we switched after to a more common toothpaste with fluoride and we limit junk and sweets, even with Grandma.

And I agree, discuss it all with your dentist and your insurance. My bill for about 6 fillings and one crown came out to over 5,000 but we only had to pay a fraction of that cost. The dentist was also fantastic and explained EVERYTHING to us more than once. He even tried to "save" the one tooth that needed a crown by attempting to fill it first. There were really no surprises and I could explain everything to DS beforehand.

Good luck, mama! I'm so sorry this is happening to your baby. I've read about the issues you've had with the house and my heart aches for you with all the struggles you've had and lack of resources.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:30 PM   #17
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my first ds had no fluoride, and had no dental issues. second ds, we did the same, but one of his teeth had some brown staining around 18 months, and so I kind of freaked, and started using a fluoride toothpaste on him. within 6 months...he had three cavities! I was shocked, because I have been taking him every 6 months since his first tooth erupted! one was small enough that they were able to fill without anesthesia. the other two, the dentist has been putting a coating on them to buy us time until he is a little older and better able to handle a needle/gas.

we've stopped fluoride again, and I've switched to using Squigle Toothbuilder toothpaste.

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:22 PM   #18
Mags462
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2jandb View Post
Hmm. Well, our dentist said that my DDs cavities were small enough that numbing wouldn't be necessary... Any thoughts on this? Is numbing ever not necessary?

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread but rather contributing to the conversation!
If its a small cavity they can probably just use nitrous oxide (eg gas) and call it good. Lowers are more painful than uppers, and front teeth are barely felt. So depending on where it is and the severity i can see them recommending in office, non numbed cavity filling

I also want to add 2 things i just thought of - do not assume what you are seeing IS a cavity. Take her in and let the dentist tell you. I honestly thought ds3 had a cavity - he has a brownish spot on one of his molars. But its a stain actually, not a cavity. So what i thought looking in his mouth was an issue isn't an issue at all.

The second thing i wanted to bring up was the necessity to find a provider you trust. We have been doing the "dentist yo-yo" for 2 years now. Our insurance doesn't pay well and so not many dentists take it. My husbands close friend is a dentist, and my best friends husband is in dental school. We get a lot of "insider" info. Not all offices are created equally. There are different types of products being used, different methods for doing the work, and different skill sets in various dentists. We went to a "recommended" dentist 8mo ago and although he was nice, when he was filling DS2 cavity i could tell he just wasn't a very good (eg had talent for it) dentist. He was taking longer than the previous dentist, and he work seemed "sloppier"..... it was prroficient (i went and had it inspected by the above close friend mentioned) and it was fine, but i was not going to take my children back there simply because i felt the dentist lacked skill wise. We just went to a new dentist here last week and i FINALLY found one that is awesome and swears he will continue to take our insurance He uses top quality product, has a great personality, has a good skill set (DS1 filling looks awesome and only took 20min!!), and his staff is awesome. So with that said, please look around if you just don't like the dentist you currently have. they are NOT all created equally and every office is different. After 4 dentists in the last 5 years i am so so glad to have found the current one. And i have seen it all in terms of service, skill, product, etc.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #19
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone.

She goes in tomorrow afternoon.
whitneywalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #20
rosefall
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2jandb View Post

I had a dentist tell me I had 10 cavities, but they wouldn't need numbing. Tried a different dentist first and he said I didnt have any that needed filling, and it was ten years before I did.

Two different dental philosophies. One wants to fill everything before it gets the chance to get deep. One wants to fill only when necessary to maintain as much tooth structure as possible.

Also, OP, DS and I both have deeply pitted molars that stain so it looks like we have cavities, but we don't.

Last edited by rosefall; 02-28-2013 at 04:15 PM.
rosefall is offline   Reply With Quote