Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-01-2013, 07:30 AM   #11
pinktoes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Just want to say this is a really nice post. My kids are too young yet to homeschool and I don't know that I will. But it's really nice reading.
Makes me smile.

Advertisement

pinktoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:51 AM   #12
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Reasons Why We Homeschool

I homeschool for the reasons above but one of the biggest ones I am doing it now is because my son I am SURE would be labeled with some sort of hyperactivity or something if he was in public school. He doesn't sit still and learn, he moves and learns. I adapt lessons to reflect this and he learns wonderfully. However if he were forced to sit and be patient, he would be disruptive to the class.

So because of this homeschooling is the best option for him. My son just learns differently then they teach in school. He also gets bored easily so school wouldn't be good for him either.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:19 AM   #13
CCRMSS
Registered Users

My Mood:

because the public school we feed into SUCKS! (and all the standardized testing, and teaching to the tests not what is actually beneficial to the child, etc)

So they can be kids a while longer

So "I" am the one raising and influencing them

Because we can't afford private school

so we can teach our family/chrstian values

more flexibility with learning style, schedule, speed, etc
Old 03-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #14
PurpleFluff
Registered Users

DD is only 3, but I'm about to start a structured PK program with her. Our main reason is because of her medical needs. She has cystic fibrosis and her treatments take an hour in the morning and an hour and a half every night. She gets up earlier and has a later bedtime than most kids her age so we can fit it all in, so she takes a 2-3 hour nap every afternoon to make up for it. I just can't see making PS work without sacrificing sleep, or family time. And I'm not willing to do either! Once she outgrows the need for the afternoon nap, I'm not sure what I'll do. My gut says keep her home, but DH is pro-PS so we shall see.
PurpleFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:44 PM   #15
7mom7
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleFluff View Post
DD is only 3, but I'm about to start a structured PK program with her. Our main reason is because of her medical needs. She has cystic fibrosis and her treatments take an hour in the morning and an hour and a half every night. She gets up earlier and has a later bedtime than most kids her age so we can fit it all in, so she takes a 2-3 hour nap every afternoon to make up for it. I just can't see making PS work without sacrificing sleep, or family time. And I'm not willing to do either! Once she outgrows the need for the afternoon nap, I'm not sure what I'll do. My gut says keep her home, but DH is pro-PS so we shall see.
We initially started homeschooling for medical reasons as well but now we love it for so many other reasons. DH wasn't 100% sure at first but now he's really proud of it...we both are!
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:07 AM   #16
nehunt
Registered Users
seller

So I can Be with them
nehunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:19 AM   #17
TooBusyBearcubs
Registered Users
Formerly: K**ten
seller

My Mood:

• Because my children were not made to sit behind a desk. They were created to move, to jump, to climb, to actually enjoy the time they spend learning.
    • Because life is made up of more then their peers, and learning is so much more than homework and tests.
    • Because our public school system is morally bankrupt - and proud of it.
    • Because I will not sacrifice family time for endless hours of busywork.
    • Because most of the time spent in public school is empty, when it should be full of life and joy for learning.
    • Because my children deserve to learn in whatever way God designed them to learn best, and they deserve personal attention and every opportunity to excel.
    • Because teachers are overworked and underpaid.

I could go on for hours...lol...
TooBusyBearcubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #18
6ncountninwv
Registered Users

My Mood:

Because I want to be the one raising my kids
I want my children raised with our Catholic beliefs, not someone else's
I don't want my children to feel as if they have to be like, dress like, have things like other children, I want them to love themselves and be proud of who they are, no matter how wacky, crazy, funny they are
We enjoy sometimes being able to sleep in or stay up late because we control our days.
we love being together as a family and doing things as a family

just to name a few
6ncountninwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #19
Sassybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiemama View Post
1. So our children have a genuine and close relationship with one another
2. So we can incorporate OUR faith and values on our children
3. To protect our children from unnecessary cruelty and hatred
4. So our children will enjoy education and learning
The above reasons plus:
5. We don't live near family so the flexibility to travel at any time during the year and not be limited by the school districts calendar is a top reason for us.
6. To allow my kids to enjoy the beauty and wonder of the outdoors and not be confined to a classroom for long hours at a time.
7. To nurture their curiosity by spending time on their interests. This is something a teacher with 20 + students can't do.
Sassybottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #20
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by slmiddlebrook
We homeschool our kids because we want them to grow up confident in who they are. We don't want to the to conform to someone else's ideas of who they should be.
Everything that's been mentioned but this specifically! My dd was in ps until 1st grade when I pulled her out mid year. She was not herself anymore or confident enough to be different. She's slowly getting that back and I love it!
Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote