Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:
How to handle this....

Emily, my 5 year old kindergartener surprised the heck out of me on the way to playgroup this morning. She said "Mommy did you know that A(boy classmate) has a line on his bum that shoots peepee into the toilet?"

She actually had to repeat it for me for it to sink in that she was talking about a boy's penis. Trying not to freak out, I asked her a few questions, and by the sounds of it, he was in a hurry to use the kindergarten bathroom and came in and just started doing his buisness while she was washing her hands. I asked her if the teacher knew, and she said no.

So what do I do here? She and I had the talk about boys being different than girls - and again had the talk about what our underwear covers being private and what private means. But should I bring it up to the teacher? It sounds completely innocent, kids that age aren't terribly shy....I don't want to make a mountain out of a molehill, but at the same time I have this feeling that I should let her know that it happened.

Advertisement

Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How to handle this....

is there a lock on the bathroom door? Maybe remind her to lock the door. I know when I taught I always had to remind the kids to shut the door when going to the potty.

I would just inform the teacher that your DD mentioned that she was walked in on and the little boy didn't wait for her to get out before pulling down his pants and going to the potty.

I'm sure the teacher would be mortified to hear what happened! I know I would be. I always remind the kids to shut the door and lock it (I have a key incase they can't unlock it). And if the door is shut to knock.
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

agreed.

I wouldn't freak out really (not that you are), but I might casually mention it to the teacher so she can remind the kids to respect privacy.

and start preparing in case she starts analyzing these things and comes up with more questions :P
Old 02-28-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

I don't think I would do anything. I'm sorry to sound so under alarmed...but, it doesn't sound like a big deal to me at all.

I mean, I guess if she never saw a baby's diaper being changed, I could see how she'd not realize that boys and girls are different...but, but this age, most kids are very familiar with how the other half goes pee.

I'd be more worried if it were an older class and there was boy's bathrooms and girl's bathrooms.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #5
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think I would let the teacher know about it. It doesn't sound like anything inappropriate happened at all, but it is something that should be addressed to the entire class.
The teacher could just make a general reminder about bathroom "etiquette" to the entire class. "Class, as a reminder, there is only one person allowed in the bathroom at a time. I know sometimes it's hard to hold it or you just want to hang out with your friend while s/he washes their hands but that's the rule here at XYZ school."
I know my kids didn't shut the door (and don't always now) and would walk in on each other while someone was bathing or using the potty. I assume this kid has open doors at home too.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum most likely while nursing
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:36 PM   #6
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't freak out, sounds innocent, but you may also want to let the teacher know it happened too just so she has the information in case something becomes an issue later, KWIM?
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:04 PM   #7
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'd tell my daughter what she should do in the future. Give her some choices and responsibility. And I would leave it there. No big deal.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:17 PM   #8
jammy
Registered Users
seller

i wouldnt freak either - she has obviously not been around boys before. I know many daycares actually share boy/girls going to the bathroom together up until they are around 3-4 yrs old.
as pp said i would mention it to the teacher just to have the bathroom rules reviewed again.
jammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:26 PM   #9
CASMama711
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77
seller

I wouldn't be concerned about my child, but I would let the teacher know.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:33 PM   #10
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage View Post
I don't think I would do anything. I'm sorry to sound so under alarmed...but, it doesn't sound like a big deal to me at all.

I mean, I guess if she never saw a baby's diaper being changed, I could see how she'd not realize that boys and girls are different...but, but this age, most kids are very familiar with how the other half goes pee.

I'd be more worried if it were an older class and there was boy's bathrooms and girl's bathrooms.
This. I have a 4yo DS and 5yo DD. One will brush teeth while the other sits on the commode. It's no big deal for them. While I realize there's a difference between siblings and classmates, I doubt they do!

And both of my boys have a "gotta pee NOW!" kind of thing where they canNOT wait to use the restroom. I'd guess that the little boy in the OP was having an experience like that. Poor guy has to go and hears running water to boot!