Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-28-2013, 06:31 PM   #1
aerobebe1421
Registered Users
seller

Born in Water: Introducing Kelsey Anne

Kelsey Anne
January 13, 2013 | 12:22pm
8 lbs. 3 oz. | 21.5”

After a month of prodromal labor, I decided I wasn’t going to know I was really in labor until there was a head sticking out. Little did I know how true this joke was going to turn out to be!

On Friday, Jan. 11th, I went to my 41 week appointment. I was scheduled for an NST (non-stress test), which consisted of hooking me up to the monitors to monitor my contractions, Kelsey’s movements, and her heart rate. She passed the NST with flying colors. One of my midwives, Amanda, offered to check me as well as to sweep my membranes. I was at 3cm and 100% effaced. There wasn’t any blood with the sweep, but we were both hopeful that it would stir things up enough to get labor going. Kelsey was super low and she could feel her head.

From my appointment at the birth center, I went to an appointment at a perinatologist. At this appointment, there was some confusion and they insisted they needed to repeat the NST before I could have my BPP (Biophysical Profile ultrasound). So back on the monitors we went and again, she passed with flying colors. After the NST, we headed back to the ultrasound room and got a quick peek at her. Everything looked great. Enough water and she was practice breathing.

Friday night saw a few sporadic contractions, but nothing consistent like it had been for the past month or so. This left me somewhat disappointed. Little did I know this was the calm before the storm!

On Saturday, I woke up to the same sporadic contractions. Matt got Carter ready to go to the MN Zoo. Right as he was getting ready to leave, at about 1:30pm, I went to the bathroom and noticed blood streaked mucous. While it was just a small amount, it made me a little bit excited that maybe something was finally happening. I gave my midwife Amy a call and let her know. She told me to eat and then take a nap. Take a nap! Who can nap during this potentially exciting moment! 

At about 4:30pm, Matt and Carter returned from the zoo. It was at this time that I started to have regular contractions, about every 5-6 mins. Nothing was different about them compared to the ones I had been having for the past few weeks, aside from sporadic bouts of blood tinged mucous.

At about 10pm, the contractions died down. They started to come every 10-20 minutes. They were picking up a little bit in intensity, but the fact that they had died down left us both thinking that it was just more prodromal labor and things weren’t going to happen anytime soon. As the night progressed, the contractions stayed strong, but began to stretch even further out to every 20-60 minutes from midnight onward. I was able to get some sleep, but was woken up each time I had a contraction.

At about 8am on Sunday, the contractions were becoming more intense and started to pick up slightly. I was having to breathe through them, and had a few choice words slip my mouth quietly. I moved out to the living room to try to get some rest. They were now coming every 20-30 minutes, and I was fairly certain that today was baby day. I was still having a lot of mucous discharge when I’d go to the bathroom.

I moved back into the bedroom two hours later. I remember being bothered by Matt snoozing away in the bed while I was in agony for those 1-2 minutes that the contractions took over. I squeezed his hands during the wave which would wake him briefly. Shortly after moving back into the bedroom, I became nauseous and ran to the bathroom just in time to throw up. The contractions picked up to every 5-6 minutes shortly afterwards.

At 10:45am, the contractions jumped to every 2-3 minutes. At that point, Matt started timing them to make sure they were consistently coming. He decided to start getting things ready while I attempted to call our midwife Amy. I remember grabbing my cell, punching in the number, and then throwing my phone across the couch as a wave overcame me. Matt took over a few minutes later and called her (time on the phone said 11:22am). At this same instant, I had the sudden urge to get into the tub. I have no idea why, because realistically, this was not a good idea! Our midwife knew right away from my vocalizations in the background that we needed to get to the birth center now. Matt got Carter bundled up and ready to go, brought our bags out, and then told me I needed to get out of the tub if I wanted to have our baby at the birth center. At this point, I was already beginning to feel the urge to push. I quickly got out of the tub, which only made the contractions worse. I threw on some clothes and made my way outside. Poor Carter was trailing behind me and slipped on ice, but I was in mid-contraction and couldn’t stop to help him. Luckily Matt was right behind us and quickly helped him up and got him into the car. I brought along a towel and remember biting down on it to help muffle the vocalizations. I didn’t want to scare Carter. My eyes were closed and I stayed focus on the contractions for our 20 minute drive to the center. I remember opening them once to see a semi truck pull out in front of us to turn in the opposite direction. We had to brake to avoid t-boning him and I cursed him out quietly. The entire drive I could feel myself bearing down and pushing without control. I kept saying to Matt to hurry up, that she was coming.

We got to the birth center at noon on the dot. I had a contraction in the car, and then walked quickly into the center. I had to pause by the entrance and brace myself on the wall during another contraction while my midwife Amanda rubbed my back. I asked if the tub was ready, which it wasn’t. The midwives had arrived at the center close to the same time as us, as we didn’t give them much notice (side note, Amy was in Wisconsin!)! Amanda then helped me to the birthing suite and had me get on all fours on the bed while Amy started the water for the tub. I really wanted in the tub, and kept asking if it was ready. Amanda tried to keep me calm and told me to go with my urges and push if needed. Matt was rubbing my back. I was certain I had to go to the bathroom, and kept asking to go. Amanda reassured me that it was just my baby coming. The urge to push was there, as was the stretching feeling, but I could feel myself holding back as I just wanted to be in the water. During the second contraction on the bed, my bag of water finally broke.

I had one more contraction on the bed before the tub was finally deep enough to safely deliver in. Amanda and Amy helped me off the bed and into the tub. The water wasn’t warm, and the second I sat in it, I began to regret it. This quickly went away though as a contraction hit and I felt myself finally allowing my body to push. I closed my eyes during this. I was surprised that the burning, stretching feeling I felt while on the bed was gone. I felt her head emerge. The cord was around her neck, and I could hear Amy guiding Amanda with how to safely free it. Then I felt the rest of her body being born. My eyes were still closed, and while part of me knew she was here, the other part of me felt like I would still have hours left to go! One of the midwives announced she was here and told me to open my eyes so I could see my baby. At that moment, she was placed into my arms. I was in shock. I couldn’t believe our little girl was really here and so quickly. From the moment we got to the birth center to her arrival, 22 minutes had passed. A part of me wishes I had opened my eyes earlier so I could have seen her being born!

After a couple of minutes, I was helped out of the tub and onto the birthing stool to deliver the placenta. Kelsey’s cord was left alone until it had stopped pulsating. At that point, Matt cut her cord. He got to hold her shortly after that as I was helped over to the bed. She was handed back to me for skin-to-skin. The midwives left us alone to bond with our baby, stopping in to check her temperature as well as mine, plus my blood pressure. Carter came in shortly after her birth to meet his baby sister. He was very excited but then left to go back to play with my sister upstairs. Matt picked up food from a sandwich shop across the street while Kelsey tried nursing for the first time. She has a shallow latch, so it was a work in progress! We spent the next 3 hours doing skin-to-skin and getting to know our little girl who slept happily on my chest.

When she was three hours old, Amanda began the newborn check on Kelsey. She was weighed (8 lbs. 3 oz.) and measured (21.5”), as well as given an overall check of health. This was the first time we heard her cry a little! She was then handed off to Matt so that I could be assessed by Amy and Amanda. I had a tear that they determined I needed to have stitched. This was probably the worse part of her delivery. Shortly afterward, we were both given clean bills of health and were told we could head home with our little lady and begin life as a family of four!

Advertisement

expecting someone new 11.14
aerobebe1421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:41 PM   #2
StaceyS
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Born in Water: Introducing Kelsey Anne

SO beautiful!!! Your story, you, your family, and little Miss Kelsey Annne! xoxoxoxo
We love him, because he first loved us.<>< 1 John 4:19
StaceyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
Awesome story. Congrats in your beautiful Baby girl!
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
Mommyto2B2G
Registered Users
Formerly: **kau*
seller

My Mood:

Wow, beautiful story. I know this is weird but I think I go to the same birth center you delivered at. Your from my area, it looks familiar and my midwives have the same names. HF? Your baby is beautiful! WTG mama.
Mommyto2B2G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
aerobebe1421
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Kaun View Post
Wow, beautiful story. I know this is weird but I think I go to the same birth center you delivered at. Your from my area, it looks familiar and my midwives have the same names. HF? Your baby is beautiful! WTG mama.
Yep!! She was born at Health Foundations! Small world!!
expecting someone new 11.14
aerobebe1421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:07 PM   #6
thealmightyme
Registered Users
seller
seller

I love her name.
thealmightyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:22 PM   #7
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh choked me up there! Beautiful and congrats!!
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #8
Mama_K
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Great story, congratulations!
Old 03-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #9
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

congratulations.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:51 AM   #10
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Congratulations - she's cute! Sweet name!