Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #11
Sarawithouth
Registered Users
seller
seller

We have 5 chickens in downtown Houston.

One red sexlink - she runs the pack. She has only skipped one laying day since she started, and that was because she layed a double yolk egg the size of my fist the day before. Her eggs are extra jumbo. She is quiet and friendly.

Two australorps - they are touted to be quiet, but ours are clucky! They're really friendly though and will hang out in your lap. Ours lay about every day. If I remember correctly, the australorp set the record for most eggs laid at 364 eggs in. 365 day year.

Two Ameracaunas - stupidest birds we have, lol. They're flighty, but smaller than the others. They don't lay as well - I'd say we get 5-6 eggs a week from each, but the eggs sure are pretty!

Advertisement

Sunny due in October!

We're a breastfeedin', babywearin', vax delayin', un-circumcisin', cloth diaperin', bedsharin', home birthin', atheist family from Texas!
Sarawithouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:53 PM   #12
Fitnessrae
Registered Users
seller

Re: What are the easiest chickens,rabbits,and dairy goats to raise?

We have 4 chickens, 3 buff Orpingtons and 1 leghorn, the buffs are my favorite, they are super soft, sweet and calm. I highly recommend them.

We hope to add to the flock as the summer rolls in. I would really like to sell eggs locally.
Fitnessrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #13
CaptainUnderpants'Mom
Registered Users
seller

Re: What are the easiest chickens,rabbits,and dairy goats to raise?

We have RIR's like some PP's, and I think we may have just gotten lucky because, although a little wary of being held and petted, none are mean tempered, including the rooster. In fact, he is so well mannered we call him "Gentleman." I used to work on an organic family farm and they kept just about every "heritage" breed chicken around and also some common breeds. Their silkies were amazing. They are bantams so no good for meat and not much for laying either as they are such tiny eggs, but the great thing about these birds is their hatching skills. They will hatch the mess out of some eggs. They are such great sitters, and that's why a lot of people I know keep them, all natural hatching, no incubator.

We don't plan on rabbits (though we're entertaining the idea) and don't have goats yet, but on the farm they had goats, Nubians, Lamanchas, Alpines, you name it. I like the Nubians best, or Dwarf Nubians. They seemed to be the best milkers, closely followed by the Aplines.