Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-01-2013, 04:21 AM   #1
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

From when you first knew you were in labor, how long did you have until you went to the hospital (for hospital birthers obviously)?

We live 5 minutes away. Just trying to get some idea of what to expect if I go into labor at, say, 3am?

I know it varies of course, but generally you are home for a few hrs at least correct?

Advertisement

Last edited by Mom2Connor; 03-01-2013 at 04:22 AM.
Mom2Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:27 AM   #2
MamaWeeks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I started labor at 3am, told my husband to go back to bed and went to take a shower, just to make sure it wasn't false labor. My contraction only got stronger, so We head out for the hospital at about 6, had my DD at 9am.

Hard to tell how in advance, but your body will tell you.
MamaWeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:48 AM   #3
Namiko
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Labor time frame

my contractions started at 6 pm and were abt 3 min apart by 11 pm. We went to the hospital at 2 am. This was our first though. I was 5 cm by the time we got there
Old 03-01-2013, 04:59 AM   #4
KumfyKozies
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Somewhere underneath my yarn and fabric hoard in the US of A
My Mood:

Labor with my first was 24 hours long. I labored at home from the time it really started at 4:30am until we went to my parents' house(it was Christmas day! ) and I labored there until 4:30pm. Went to the birth center and was checked at 3-4cm, so I went back to my parents' house for dinner and labored until about 9:30pm when the pain was truly unbearable. Went back to the birth center and was admitted(at only 5cm, but it was something ). My girl was born the next morning at 4:30am.

With my second, I had one hard contraction and suddenly felt like I had to go to the bathroom so I went and sat down on the potty. For twenty minutes I produced nothing but contractions were suddenly 5 minutes apart and when I stood up I had the full mucous plug in my hand. OY! I hadn't lost it until transition with my first, so we scurried, assuming birth was coming soon. We called my midwife and went straight to the birth center. It was an hour away and I checked in at 9cm! He was born 3 hours later.

With my third, I'd had 10 days of prodromal labor and went for a check-up with my midwife. I asked her to check me because we now had a 2-hour drive home and she said I was 5cm with no membranes, but I knew I wasn't contracting. An hour of bouncing on a birthing ball and walking around the grounds of the birth center, and I suddenly went from nothing to ctx every 2-5 minutes, varied. After 30 minutes of that my midwife checked me again and I was 8cm! She was born 2.5 hours later.
KumfyKozies™- Etsy Shop

Last edited by KumfyKozies; 03-01-2013 at 05:01 AM.
KumfyKozies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:21 AM   #5
MamaWeeks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaWeeks
I started labor at 3am, told my husband to go back to bed and went to take a shower, just to make sure it wasn't false labor. My contraction only got stronger, so We head out for the hospital at about 6, had my DD at 9am.

Hard to tell how in advance, but your body will tell you.
I should also mention I was check at 4 cm 2 days prior, plus I bounced on a ball from 4-6am. when I got to the hospital o was checked at 7cm.

Last edited by MamaWeeks; 03-01-2013 at 07:22 AM.
MamaWeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:36 AM   #6
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it depends on how you feel and what the contractions are like.
With my second baby, I woke up at 12:30am (in bed already) with very painful contractions. My husband and I basically just got our bags together, I think I may have taken a quick shower, we said goodbye to my MIL who was going to watch our other child, and we left. That labor was only about 4 hours total. I think I was already 6cm when we arrived at the hospital.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:51 AM   #7
Buena
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Second baby water broke 530 suddenly. Contractions started fast ad hard, got to hospital 645 he was born 747.

Third baby contractions started 730. Got to hospital 930 and she was born 130.... I think lol
Old 03-01-2013, 08:08 AM   #8
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With our first, labor started with my water breaking at 5:30pm. I called DH at work and he came home, we packed stuff up, called our parents, and went to the hospital because everyone said you had to go in right away if your membranes rupture. We were at the hospital about 7pm - only 2cm and not feeling any contractions (though they were showing on monitors). I started contracting hard and terrible, but stayed at 2cm until about 2-3am. It wasn't an easy labor.

DS1 was an induction. DS2 was a c-sec.

With DS3 I was losing my plug through the weekend, had a couple good contractions while watching tv Sunday evening (10:30pm) but was able to go to bed and to sleep. I woke at 1:30am with a definite real contraction, 10 minutes apart for half an hour or so. A good one hit and I grabbed DH's hand - he woke up and asked if I was okay, I told him I was contracting, he asked how far apart they were. When I started to say 10 minutes, the next one hit - DH said "that was 5 minutes". They stayed 5 minutes apart for a while, we got up and started finishing packing and woke FIL to let him know we were leaving. We got to the hospital around 4am (though it's a 40min drive, DH made it in less than 20mins, lol). I was 4cm, definitely in active labor. Levi was born at 8:40am.
With that labor I could have stayed home longer, probably would have gone a bit faster, but I was also GBS+ and by the time they got the antibiotics running it was barely 4 hours from those to birth - if we'd not gotten them or not had enough time we may have had to deal with crap about Levi needing observation or meds or us staying longer.

I'd love to be GBS- this time and not have to worry about getting to the hospital with any amount of time to spare We'll see how it goes.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:15 AM   #9
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:

My water was broke at 12noon(at the hospital) and he was born at 6pm. We live 45 minutes from the hospital, and depending on who is taking our kids(my parents or IL's depending on when I go into labor) it will take them 45 minutes to get to our house. So I'm hoping I don't jump the gun, but also that I don't wait too long! Don't want a car birth!
Old 03-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #10
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I had irregular contractions in the evening. At 2 am I woke up with HARD contractions that went from 5-3 minutes like clockwork with back labor in 30 minutes. Called my on call number for my OB. Was at the hospital within 1 hour of waking up. I also had had my membranes stripped earlier that day. I had my baby 12 hours later. It was my first vaginal birth.

I have been advised to call the doc when contractions are 3-5 minutes apart consistently for an hour or if my water breaks.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote