Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #11
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Labor time frame

I just wanted to add that for some people (like me), you can tell a lot about where you are in your labor by your emotions/feelings. I get a very panicky feeling when I am closer to delivering, so obviously I get to the hospital at the point.

Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #12
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

I expected to be home for hours upon hours. but......................... when my water broke (prior to labor starting at all), I went to the hospital to get checked. And they wouldn't let me leave. Well, they would.. if I signed a document that said I knew I was leaving against their best recommendation.

I had absolutely no labor signs prior to my water breaking. So, if you think that my actual labor from thick and closed to an 8 was only about 23 hours.. that's not bad.

this time we're an hour away from the hospital, plus will need to give time for the babysitter to arrive before we can leave. My doula said she would be able to tell on the phone from how I was talking/moaning, when we needed to leave.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #13
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Oy, I thought we would have a lot more time! Lol
Old 03-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #14
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You'd have lots of time to stay home if you're only 5mins away.
If you're comfortable waiting it out, I'd stay home until I knew I was in transition/very close to pushing - my contractions get a lot different, all of a sudden, when I hit 8-9cm.
For us, I couldn't wait that long because I'd never make it to the hospital. But 5 minutes away would be definitely doable!
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:45 PM   #15
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

With my first, contractions started around 6pm. We went in around 11pm because I really didn't know what to expect. I labored for what felt like forever, and baby was born at 5pm.

With my second, we started driving down to Las Vegas (3.5 hrs away) before my contractions started. I was a week late at this point, school had ended for the summer the day before, and we figured we'd just go down there and wait for labor to start. About half way there, we stopped at a gas station and my contractions started. The contractions were consistently 3-4 minutes apart for the next 2 hours in the car. As soon as we got to the hotel a couple hours later, we left to go to my midwife's house about 15 minutes away and I was dilated to 9cm when we got there. Baby was born a half hour later. If I would have lived a lot closer, I probably would have gone in after an hour of my contractions being 3 minutes apart.

ETA: my midwife said she always knows when it's getting close because the husband calls her instead of the mom. I had DH call her when we were at the hotel to let her know we were on our way, and that's when she knew baby was coming soon.

Last edited by rverrone11; 03-01-2013 at 09:48 PM.
rverrone11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:21 AM   #16
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers
You'd have lots of time to stay home if you're only 5mins away.
If you're comfortable waiting it out, I'd stay home until I knew I was in transition/very close to pushing - my contractions get a lot different, all of a sudden, when I hit 8-9cm.
For us, I couldn't wait that long because I'd never make it to the hospital. But 5 minutes away would be definitely doable!
Honestly, I want all the pain meds available amd since this is a vbac I definitely am not comfortable laboring that long at home. I don't mind hospitals at all actually lol
Old 03-02-2013, 06:44 AM   #17
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rverrone11 View Post
we left to go to my midwife's house about 15 minutes away and I was dilated to 9cm when we got there. Baby was born a half hour later.
Oh, I would love that! Although being in a vehicle with 9cm contractions would NOT be entertaining!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
Honestly, I want all the pain meds available amd since this is a vbac I definitely am not comfortable laboring that long at home. I don't mind hospitals at all actually lol
If you want pain meds, you definitely want to get there a lot sooner than 8-9cm, lol! In that case, I'd go by the 4-1-1 rule; contractions are 4 minutes apart, lasting 1 minute, for 1 hour. Should mean you're about 4-5cm, so in active labor and at the right time to get something for pain management.

What is your main concern with this being a VBAC?
If it is uterine rupture, which for a lot of mamas it is, remember that it's really a very low risk especially without induction methods.
If you're laboring at home and worried, pay close attention to where you're feeling contractions, for serious pain in your lower abdomen, and for pain that continues after the contraction is over - between the contractions, I mean, there shouldn't be any pain. The contraction should ease, and you should be able to feel okay, kwim?

I don't know if that is your main concern, but I know it helped me with my VBAC to know the signs to watch for.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:13 AM   #18
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor

I'm with you 100%.

My last hospital labor was fine (from a 1-8) so I'm not at all worried about being there.

In fact, specifically chose this hospital for their laboring gardens, so feeling like it'll be a nice place to labor.

And want dibs on their 1 birthing pool. Lol. Gotta get there to claim it

I don't know if you have specific concerns about your vbac. I don't. I just know I feel safer being monitored. In one sense I'm irritated knowing I'll be monitored the whole time, but in another sense, it gives me a peace of mind.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #19
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

first kid i lived 30 mins away & waited til 5 mins apart contractions. i live 5 min away now like u &have had 2. second started contracting very irregular 8pm then by 5am was like maybe yes letgo. 3rd here it was like midnight & went in about 7am (7cm dialated).....
Old 03-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #20
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Emily -

Yeah, that's more it. I don't have a specific concern necessarily, I just like being monitored. I want a pool too, I need to find out how many they have. I didn't even think about that!

Last edited by Mom2Connor; 03-02-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Mom2Connor is offline   Reply With Quote