Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #21
Southern Momma
Registered Users
Formerly: MorrigansMomma
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Labor time frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers View Post
I'd go by the 4-1-1 rule; contractions are 4 minutes apart, lasting 1 minute, for 1 hour. Should mean you're about 4-5cm, so in active labor and at the right time to get something for pain management.
I didn't know this, thanks I live 45 minutes from the hospital and I'm not really sure when to leave. I know I can get in the birth pool at 5cm so this 4-1-1 rule sounds good to me. My midwife did say to call her and she'd be able to tell by how I'm talking when I should leave.

I was induced with DD so this is new territory for us.

Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #22
4dramamama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Momma

I didn't know this, thanks I live 45 minutes from the hospital and I'm not really sure when to leave. I know I can get in the birth pool at 5cm so this 4-1-1 rule sounds good to me. My midwife did say to call her and she'd be able to tell by how I'm talking when I should leave.

I was induced with DD so this is new territory for us.
Well, I'll throw a wrench in the midwife's theory for you. With my fifth, I was very calm, peaceful, and not at all intense even during contractions. I was talking and laughing between contractions at 8cm and didn't really have to stop during. The only reason I would stop and be quiet during a ctx was so I could focus on relaxing my bottom. Most peaceful birth imaginable for me. I do pray for another peaceful experience again even if it makes it difficult to tell if it's the real thing. I based my travel to the birth center completely on consistence, frequency, and length of ctx.
Beth, Christian mama of 5 (expecting #6 Spring 2013).
Check out my blog Heart Stirred with Wisdom
4dramamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #23
Blessed2005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Induced with DS1 at 7ish and had him at 3:15ish....yeah I don't remember exact times of my children's births....I'm terrible, I know.

DD, I started back labor night before she was born, but I didn't know that's what it was bc this was 11 days before my due date. DS1 was born 4 days late after induction, so I was in denial. I also felt NO CONTRACTIONS with him bc of early epidural. Worked 10-5 while in labor with DD and then went by the grocery store on the way home. Since I had been having contractions all day, my boss(also a nursery nurse at the hospital) told me I should go be checked. Called my mom to come sit with DS. Water trickled as I was going out the front door....still in denial here people, I felt so dumb. But labor wasn't what it had been described to me as. Contractions were constant but sporadic too. Anyway, when I got to the hospital I was 8cm. Water still intact bc bag had shifted. DR. broke my water and she was there within 30 min.

I live 5 min away, but will be going in fairly quickly bc of fast labors. Maybe I will recognize it this time since I have experienced "my labor" without epidural. Hope this baby stays in for a while longer. I am 32wks 4 days and ontractions have been coming for 2 weeks now, cervical change last Dr visit(friday), Celestone shots to mature his lungs friday and saturday and Dr appt tomorrow for a re-check. Abel stay in there!!
Old 03-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #24
Southern Momma
Registered Users
Formerly: MorrigansMomma
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dramamama View Post
Well, I'll throw a wrench in the midwife's theory for you. With my fifth, I was very calm, peaceful, and not at all intense even during contractions. I was talking and laughing between contractions at 8cm and didn't really have to stop during. The only reason I would stop and be quiet during a ctx was so I could focus on relaxing my bottom. Most peaceful birth imaginable for me. I do pray for another peaceful experience again even if it makes it difficult to tell if it's the real thing. I based my travel to the birth center completely on consistence, frequency, and length of ctx.
I hope I'm calm and peaceful like that! My mother (a retired labor and delivery nurse, mother of 4, nana to 10) says I should really leave for hospital based on consistence and frequency. So, that's what I'm going with Funny how my docs and midwife tell me one thing and I have to call my mother to make sure it's correct

I pray you have another peaceful experience again!
Old 03-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #25
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
I just like being monitored. I want a pool too, I need to find out how many they have. I didn't even think about that!
You may want to ask about their policies for VBAC, as well. I know at a lot of hospitals they "require" mom to be on constant fetal monitoring (even without pitocin) and in bed.
Not to say to not go in. But maybe ask to see what they usually do, so you know ahead of time what you're going to want to change/adjust/decline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Momma View Post
I didn't know this, thanks I live 45 minutes from the hospital and I'm not really sure when to leave. I know I can get in the birth pool at 5cm so this 4-1-1 rule sounds good to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed2005 View Post
I am 32wks 4 days and ontractions have been coming for 2 weeks now, cervical change last Dr visit(friday), Celestone shots to mature his lungs friday and saturday and Dr appt tomorrow for a re-check. Abel stay in there!!
and !
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #26
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

I will not change, adjust, or decline anything. I do what the pros recommend. That said, my OB knows we are going for a vbac and pool labor so it must be ok there.