Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-29-2013, 05:40 PM   #1
cyndyinohio
Registered Users
seller

Should I refinance???? HELP!! Advice needed!

Right now I have 13 years left on a mortgage with a $992 payment (3.785 percent I think). I am thinking of refinancing for 30 years to lower my monthly payment to $630 (I think the rate would be 3.5.)

Our income took a big nosedive recently, and since I really want to keep staying home and homeschooling my kids instead of trying to earn more I thought this might be a good idea. But it does stretch our mortgage out for a lot more time.... I don't think this house will be something I stay in forever, though, so maybe that makes a difference? It has 2 acres and I'm not sure I'd want to do all the maintenance on it myself.

I'm not sure if I should just try to earn more instead of refinancing? Right now I just sell things here and there on eBay, but I could try to do more of that and still stay at home and homeschool.

Any thoughts???

TIA!

Advertisement

Last edited by cyndyinohio; 03-29-2013 at 05:45 PM.
cyndyinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
MommyLyssa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Should I refinance???? HELP!! Advice needed!

I would start looking for ANY other options. Become thrifty woman first. I personally feel a mom being at home is important, and I am going to take a guess you do as well

To refinance, you are essentially tripling how much you paid for your house than how much it is worth. I couldn't imagine losing 17 years of payments already made, to start all over again for a $350 a month difference. Try selling more, swag it up (I am on track to make close to $100 this month and I don't spend much time on it, which is nuts!), thirft more.

Everything I said is probably duh and well known, but thought I would throw that out there.

I would find a calculator somewhere and just see how much more your house would end up costing you to change now (what would you be paying in interest after 47 years??- My husband and I were amazed that our 76k house would cost us well over 150k at the rate we were going. (we are now on a mission to pay it off in 7 years, and trust me, he doesn't make much!)

Owner and creator at https://www.etsy.com/shop/AllClothedinScarlet for modest, durable, and out of this world gorgeous dresses!
MommyLyssa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:03 PM   #3
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

From the payment you are paying now, what portion are you paying to principle and what portion to interest? For the new payment, what would those numbers be? Look at it that way.

I wouldn't refinance. It's not a large enough rate change.

Did you ask about a 15 year mortgage? What rate you would get there? That may be worth investigating, and then check the principle/interest portions against what you are paying now.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
wolffie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar View Post
From the payment you are paying now, what portion are you paying to principle and what portion to interest? For the new payment, what would those numbers be? Look at it that way.

I wouldn't refinance. It's not a large enough rate change.

Did you ask about a 15 year mortgage? What rate you would get there? That may be worth investigating, and then check the principle/interest portions against what you are paying now.
I agree with this. I wouldn't want to add on all those years.
Mama to ds '08, dd '10, due w/#3 5/13! wife to Missing my angels 6/07, 10/07, 3/12
Let's swag! SWAG friends!
wolffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:14 PM   #5
omahamama731
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
refi to 15 or not at all
Old 03-29-2013, 06:16 PM   #6
JellEBeanDesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would not refi, I would work on saving money and then bringing in a second income from home
JellEBeanDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:02 PM   #7
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

I think it could be a good idea if it were temporary. There is no reason why when your income increases again you can't either refinance back to a shorter amortization or just start making lump sum payments against the principle.

Additionally, like you said, if this is not your forever house and you think it's possible you will sell in a couple of years then a few years of lower payments against the principal are not the end of the world.

One thing to consider I think is it is possible you could end up in a situation where you were upside down on your mortgage and you wanted to sell.

I've spend a lot of time thinking about this type of thing because I'm trying to figure out if we should do it!

Last edited by isabelsmummy; 03-29-2013 at 11:03 PM. Reason: spelling
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:14 AM   #8
KrisM
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabelsmummy View Post
I think it could be a good idea if it were temporary. There is no reason why when your income increases again you can't either refinance back to a shorter amortization or just start making lump sum payments against the principle.

Additionally, like you said, if this is not your forever house and you think it's possible you will sell in a couple of years then a few years of lower payments against the principal are not the end of the world.

One thing to consider I think is it is possible you could end up in a situation where you were upside down on your mortgage and you wanted to sell.

I've spend a lot of time thinking about this type of thing because I'm trying to figure out if we should do it!
I agree with this. We went from a 4 years into a 15 year mortgage and refi'd to a 30 year. The economy was bad and we wanted to back the difference in payment. We banked it for about 6 months. Since then, we pay at least what we were on the 15 year mortgage. Since we're also at a lower rate, we're easily ahead of where we would have been had we not refi'd. The refi was 4 years ago now. We've been in this house 7.5 years and have 2.5 to go at most to pay off the mortgage, so 10 years total on it.

So, it can work and not be detrimental.

Earn gift cards or paypal at Swagbucks! Click Here to join the fun!
KrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:35 AM   #9
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:
I dont know.....the rate change really wouldnt justify the fees and hassle. If you have been paying on it this long you probably have some major equity built up. Perhaps selling would be a better deal?? Then you could move in to something more affordable. Good luck!
Old 03-30-2013, 07:57 AM   #10
cyndyinohio
Registered Users
seller

We did just refinance to a 15 year 2 years ago after living here for 6 years...doing so again now would not lower our payment enough to justify the costs of doing it so that is really not an option.

In thinking more about it, what I value more than paying it off the mortgage early is being at home with the kids and homeschooling them. It would be $40,000 more in interest to go to at 30 year at this point, but in 13 years when my youngest is 17 (!!!!) I would hate to have a paid off house but have missed that time with my kids.

I might want to sell in about 10 years when I no longer have boys in the house to mow the grass. Not sure at all!!

But...my husband's new job does increase from newbie pay to a lot better amount in a year, so maybe I can just try to sell a whole lot for this one year??? Still, being a single mom (we are separated) and trying to homeschool...$360/month is a lot.

Thanks for taking the time to give your thoughts...any others???

Last edited by cyndyinohio; 03-30-2013 at 07:59 AM.
cyndyinohio is offline   Reply With Quote