Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-12-2012, 02:14 AM   #1
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:
Anyone raising a dwarf (stunted) animal - sheep especially?

Hi Mamas-
So I went and did something that I hope isn't going to come back and bite me I adopted a "pet" sheep tonight to join our flock of breeders. We are brand new to all this and aren't even breeding this year and I really shouldn't have adopted a rescue sheep since we are trying to farm NOT run a rescue BUT

ANYWAY - "Bella" the sheep is about 1/4 the size of her mama and less then 1/2 the size of her siblings. She was a triplet. She was born in May and did well. Other then having a large tummy which made it hard for her to get around she did great at her old farm. (She would get toppled over by accident and then not be able to get up with her tummy being so big.) We have a flock of shetlands so even though they are twice her size they are a more appropriate flock for her to be with then her home flock. She was raised to train sheep-dogs and is too small to live there safely so they were looking for a pet home.

I "trust" the woman I got her from as much as you would trust a random stranger you met on craigslist. She seemed nice, knew what she was doing (or at least more then me) and her flock seemed clean and cared for. She doesn't think that there is anything "wrong" with Bella other then her tiny, tiny size.

I've only ever had pet cats and dogs before last year and my first thought is to take Bella straight to the vet for a check-up BUT she is "live-stock" and I get that "farmers" don't generally run their sheep to the vet for well visits Bella could EASILY go to a vet though since she rode home in a dog crate in the hatch of my SUV!

Anyway - sorry for rambling. I am a little afraid she will be sick or get hurt and I don't know what to look out for in dwarf animals. She is NOT supposed to be a mini - she is either stunted or a genetic dwarf. I know dwarfism in people can cause heart issues etc - what about in animals???

ETA - I tried doing a google search and could only find info on dwarf and mini breeds that are supposed to be little not on animals that are "special needs".

Advertisement

Last edited by mg5g; 10-12-2012 at 02:17 AM.
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:56 AM   #2
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone raising a dwarf (stunted) animal - sheep especially?

She doesn't sound like a runt?
Here is some articles I found.
http://flockandherd.net.au/sheep/reader/arthritis.html

http://priscilla.saltmarshranch.com/...ed-lambs-soay/
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
Mysweetseven
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Do you have a picture of her?
Mysweetseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #4
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

Thanks Sarah - well she isn't lame and she has a nice big belly. We will for sure make sure she is getting enough to eat. She isn't afraid to get right in there with the big girls to get the grain but thanks for the article because I will make sure to monitor how much food she actually gets. We have another sheep who is timid and I always worry about her getting pushed around so maybe I can feed those two together in private. I couldn't imagine her trying to live in a regular sized flock! Even the Shetlands we have who are about her age are twice as big as her! It will be interesting to see if she does grow up eventually. If she does grow to full size she is going to be our biggest sheep
Old 10-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #5
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

Picture from her first farm

Last edited by mg5g; 03-27-2014 at 11:55 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:14 AM   #6
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What a cutie!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:13 AM   #7
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

OMG ADORABLE!!!
Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
igotmywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #8
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Cute! She doesn't look like she suffers from dwarfism..she must just be tiny. My mom raised mini horses for a while and while none of ours were dwarves we saw a few at other farms. You can definitely tell b/c their bodies are normal but their legs are extra short. They aren't proportionate. I would guess sheep and other livestock would be similar.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #9
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

aw, she's cute. I don't know what you'd call it in an animal but as a triplet could she just be "failure to thrive"?
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:54 AM   #10
bumminbeachbabe
Registered Users
seller
seller

In my experience in my parents farm I'm surprised that she is doing so well for being that runty.

Our littlest lambs from triplets and quads just don't make it no matter how hard we try. She doesn't look dwarf to me. Just very small.