Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-18-2013, 12:58 PM   #31
missc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
This week we got a bottle calf, 2wo jersey bull, and chicks. I wish the weather would cooperate and bring warmth!
I can't seem to post pics of them. I have a question though - we're currently feeding 1.5 bottles (2qt) of milk replacer 2x day, but he still seems hungry. Should he be getting more? He has fresh hay and water available as well.
Oh, and banding him...I know that's not until 2 months-ish, I just want to prepare. Is that done by the vet?
Thanks...I'm so cow ignorant!

Advertisement

Old 03-18-2013, 01:12 PM   #32
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Re: March Farm/Homesteading Chatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by missc View Post
This week we got a bottle calf, 2wo jersey bull, and chicks. I wish the weather would cooperate and bring warmth!
I can't seem to post pics of them. I have a question though - we're currently feeding 1.5 bottles (2qt) of milk replacer 2x day, but he still seems hungry. Should he be getting more? He has fresh hay and water available as well.
Oh, and banding him...I know that's not until 2 months-ish, I just want to prepare. Is that done by the vet?
Thanks...I'm so cow ignorant!
Last year when we bottlefed Baby Boy Calf, we fed him 3x a day. We band the bulls ourselves. Do you have a bander though? If not, does a farming neighbor around you have one that you can borrow?

I hear ya on the weather! It feels like winter this week again. How are the pigglies doing?
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #33
missc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingcropsandbabies View Post
Last year when we bottlefed Baby Boy Calf, we fed him 3x a day. We band the bulls ourselves. Do you have a bander though? If not, does a farming neighbor around you have one that you can borrow?

I hear ya on the weather! It feels like winter this week again. How are the pigglies doing?
Thanks, I was hoping you'd check in! Dh would love to get the calf drinking from a bucket, but that doesn't look like it will happen for a while . The days we're home I can bring another bottle out, or maybe we'll bring him out one right when we get home, then later at night another one. I hate to have the little guy hungry!
I'm hoping that one of the guys around us will help; the dairy farm we're getting the waste milk from doesn't generally keep the bull calves. So sad, but guess it's just too much of a time commitment for them. We're thinking about buying a bander just to have, it doesn't look too difficult and Jeffers has one on special $9.95 and a free 100 bands.
Pigs are doing great. I want to move them out of the barn onto pasture, but the lovely weather isn't cooperating. Maybe this weekend! Did you guys find some? Or are you waiting a bit?
Old 03-20-2013, 07:54 AM   #34
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

*sigh* got a foot of snow last night The kids had a snow day yesterday (first one this year, in anticipation of the storm, the next district over did a half day, we could have too), then a 2 hour delay this morning which was nice since it enabled the kids to sleep until 7 rather than 5:45 and have a relaxed morning with a real breakfast (oatmeal with raw honey and celyon cinnamon, yum!) I hada homemade multigrain bagel and a yogurt, oatmeal wasn't tripping my trigger this morning.

I'm soooo done with snow! Dh ended up with an 18 hour shift instead of 8 so the next shift wouldn't have to drive in the snow and then the morning shift person called and said they'd be late, they were unburrying their car, then called back to take a sick day. Once one of the regular workers who had the capability to do DH's job as well showed up he came home to help me shovel a path for the kids to get to the bus. My step Dad will likely plow us out tonite when he gets home from work (or I'll get off my butt and do some more shoveling).

That nice 45-50 degree weather was such a tease last week. Got the coop cleaned out, the hens were able to get into the extended run, I walked around the garden scheming and planning in my head, DH started work on the greenhouse then WHAM! back down to 17degrees of a high and then this snow 9and 2 more snow storms expected. And here I thought the farmer's almanac had lied to me about more cold and snow than usual and Feb being alright followed by a snowy/cold March. (I took a sneak peak at TSC last fall).

DH did manage to get a few trees down that I needed cut near the garden before the snow tho he's getting pretty good for a city boy, he dropped them very close to where he wanted them, the first one was only off by a foot.

My seedlings under grow lights in the basement are taking off, I'm going to need the shelf lowered here soon! I'm wondering if I'll even be able to get them planted this year at this rate!

debating meat birds and a pig, I'd really like a female and a male (unrelated) and after the female gets knocked up butcher the male. There's a huge pig shortage around here, everyone wants them and theres not a lot of people selling (the ones that are selling are going for $200+/piglett and that's just your backyard breed nothing fancy)

I guess we'll see.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:33 AM   #35
dublinup
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by missc View Post
Thanks, I was hoping you'd check in! Dh would love to get the calf drinking from a bucket, but that doesn't look like it will happen for a while . The days we're home I can bring another bottle out, or maybe we'll bring him out one right when we get home, then later at night another one. I hate to have the little guy hungry!
I'm hoping that one of the guys around us will help; the dairy farm we're getting the waste milk from doesn't generally keep the bull calves. So sad, but guess it's just too much of a time commitment for them. We're thinking about buying a bander just to have, it doesn't look too difficult and Jeffers has one on special $9.95 and a free 100 bands.
Pigs are doing great. I want to move them out of the barn onto pasture, but the lovely weather isn't cooperating. Maybe this weekend! Did you guys find some? Or are you waiting a bit?
Jersey bull calves are super hard to keep alive. It is way better to keep them on the side of hungry versus giving them too much and letting them die from scours.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #36
missc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dublinup

Jersey bull calves are super hard to keep alive. It is way better to keep them on the side of hungry versus giving them too much and letting them die from scours.
Thanks, we'll keep that in mind. Dh feels bad for hungry critters, but we don't feed to saturation with him, He is still fairly hungry after eating. He definitely had scours though, he's got hair loss all over his tush. Makes me feel so bad!
Old 03-26-2013, 07:15 AM   #37
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Lots going on:

Loading up some calves today for auction tomorrow. We have Dh's distant cousin haul them (we don't have a trailer that big). I think we have 15 ready to go and 1 bull to go.

We had a lamb we were bottlefeeding, but it died. The boys took it very well, of course (animal deaths just don't seem to phase them at all... I would be concerned, but a friend of mine's kids are also farm kids and it's the same way with them!). She was a sweet little thing who's mama didn't own it (the ewe was way too old).

I've taken over evening milking and it's going well! I love it too. I'm wanting to go upto an auction next week to look for another jersey heifer. We're selling Rosie when BamBam calves, but BB is still really old and I would like to have 3 milk cows besides her (we have 1 holstein due anyday and then Rosie's jersey calf). We shall see...

Homeschooling has taken a turn for the better. We ditched all extra stuff and are going with the basics. It makes fitting it in easier. I ordered next year's curriculum (reading, writing, math, history). I figure farm work can count as life science for 1st grade!!! I also have started a new routine. We do school at 8am. I'm sure that might change a bit when we get our chicks and hogs, but the earlier in the day the more likely we fit it in!

Ordering 50 meat chicks for the 2nd week of April. There is snow on the ground and so I'm glad we haven't got our grower pigs yet. I'm calling a place today to see if they have 7 for us. Would like to get those within a couple weeks.

In home news...DH bought me a dehydrator. I LOVE it... too much. The kids have had fruit leather for snack everyday for 2 weeks. hehe. I'm making yogurt in it tomorrow.

Oops, better get. Running late for today. Have a good one ladies!!!
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:33 PM   #38
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

been an exhausting week here. had another snowstorm mostly melted now, still piles of snow everywhere tho and we're expecting an April fools Day storm I just want my land back from winter's stubborn grip!

Seedlings are doing superb under the grow lights in the basement despite it being cool down there. Just wish it'd warm up so I can get them into the beds in the greenhouse!

I have spring fever like crazy!

I've decided on my HS curriculum for next year. I'm only taking ODD out (DD#2 is a very willful child and I have a hard time with her as it is, and #3 will be going into K and she needs school supported speech etc. I'll take her out in a couple years, ODD is the one light years ahead of where her peers are at). I"m doing Oak Meadow's curriculum for 5th grade and Nallenart's french (I took 4 years of it in HS so I'll be in my comfort zone for our first language). I'm pretty excited about it and hoping that the following year I can bring DD#2 into the HS'ing fold. She's thriving in PS tho, so we'll see.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:51 AM   #39
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OMG, I thing spring might finally be here! so excited. We have sun for the first time in FOREVER! I have laundry on the line, it's 53degrees in the shade, warm enough for a t-shirt in the sun.
Sat on the sun looking thru fruit catalogues for wayyyy longer than I should have, but I don't care, I NEEDED the sun. Feel so much better (and I do take a D3 supplement in the winter too, I just think the sun does wonders for the psyche).

The kids have found a few mud holes tho, they're having fun, but they are banned from the house atm.

After this little lunch break (kids are eating on the porch), I do need to make bagels or I'll have nothing to take to work for breakfast in the am. Dh and I both have to work Easter so the kids will be doing it at thier granparents. DH will have them hunt eggs at home when he goes and gets them after lunch. We're coloring eggs when he gets home today.

The hens are free ranging today and loving it. They've dusted themselves in the hole the girls dug under thier slide and had a grand old time. The pup (who's quite big now) keeps wanting them to play. She's not attacking them but keeps bouncing around them, play bowing and barking trying to get them to play. She's been a little depressed because our other dog Molly had another lyme attack recently so still isn't up to playing much.

Oh and we'll be getting a pig! Someone next to my mom has a pig due anyday (dunno the breed) she wants one but has no place to put it. We have the old goat pen that looks very lonely, so she's buying the pig, I'm raising it and we'll split it when it gets butchered. I know the woman who owns the local grocery store. Going to ask her to save any produce being thrown out for me to feed the pig.

Well ODD just came in with her first bloody knee of the season. Have to go supervise her medic skills (she's bound and determined to learn how to do it all herself).
Old 03-30-2013, 06:09 PM   #40
missc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Hey all! We've been super busy around here, but getting things done. Have 2 bottle calves now (that's the limit for this year I believe). The pigs are outside and doing fab.the raw milk from the dairy just stopped, but I'm glad they're outside. Plants are growing - maters, broccoli, peppers, and hops. We put the fence up for the garden today, and will be doing the dog run soon, perimeter fence this coming week.
Looks like everyone else is super busy with spring too!
Amanda, that's awesome on the pig!
Happy Easter to everyone tomorrow!

Last edited by missc; 03-30-2013 at 06:11 PM.
missc is offline   Reply With Quote