Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-03-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
KandFsMomma
Registered Users
Formerly: keirinsmomma
seller

My Mood:
Question How much clothing if you don't have a washer & dryer?

Hi!

I like to lurk around here, I am very far from a minimalist, we have way too much stuff, but we're working through it. We started in an 1800 square foot house and have downsized to a 28 foot trailer and some storage while we put up our 24' yurt!

We are moving totally off grid, doing micro hydro and solar, we will have our washer/dryer set up someday, but not anytime soon.

We plan to put the yurt up in the next few months and I'm trying to figure out how much to keep. Clothing is a huge issue for us as DD and love clothes

We live rurally, so there is no close laundry mat. I think I will do laundry once a week at my Moms to start with. I am really hoping I can get DS potty learned before we go off grid! (He's mostly there in the day time at home)

Thanks for any help!

Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
Bhavana
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: How much clothing if you don't have a washer & dryer?

OMG you are brave!

Is there a creek/river nearby? You obviously cant wash there during winters, but its doable in the summer?

Here in India, more than 1/2 of the population wash clothes in the bathrooms. Soak a few hours in a bucket. Squat and scrub or beat with a bat and rinse in a small tub/ tap. Rinse in clean water some 3 times, wring and line dry. But yeah, the jeans/towels/sheets heavier items are back breaking.

DS member debcita had a review just a couple of mos ago about a spinner. It works...a huge help with heavy clothes.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
KandFsMomma
Registered Users
Formerly: keirinsmomma
seller

My Mood:

Thanks Momma! Yes, we have a lovely clean creek, this is gonna be interesting
Old 03-03-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
Bhavana
Registered Users

My Mood:

I could send you a pic of another set up we have in South India. I love it...and miss it being in an apt and all.

About washing in a creek, just google images of 'women washing clothes in river' You'll get ideas. If you have a play wagon, have your kids pull it with the soaked clothes/take a ride while mommy pulls, and you wash there. Having a huge, flat slab of stone would work wonderfully.

And as I imagine you getting to do that (since our kids are the same age!) Im instantly jealous of you. Clean water at that!

Last edited by Bhavana; 03-03-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Bhavana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I want a yurt! I'm so jealous!
Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #6
graceworks
Registered Users
Formerly: annaelise
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well we don't live in a yurt (had to google that one - wow!) but we don't have a washer or dryer. I wash by hand (well with a plunger thing called a breathing mobile washer) in the tub and spin in an electric spinner then hang dry. I wash each "type" of laundry once per week (adult clothes, kid clothes, towels/underwear/socks) so I would say a little over a week's worth would be the minimum we could live with (so that while that week's worth is hanging to dry we'd have a couple more outfits). We could probably get by with just 2 towels for each person too. Keep us updated! I'm very interested!
loving being a stay at home wife to DH (married 4/11/09) and mommy to DD1 (10/4/10) and little DD2 (5/30/12) and expecting baby #3 in March!
graceworks is offline   Reply With Quote