Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #111
MommyLyssa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: March UYS Game - CHATTER Thread

Whoops! I just remembered the pictures are to go in the see and share thread

Advertisement

Owner and creator at https://www.etsy.com/shop/AllClothedinScarlet for modest, durable, and out of this world gorgeous dresses!
MommyLyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:24 PM   #112
RockinLou
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyLyssa View Post
I just got a job! Well, kind of. Haha. Another mom just asked me to make her four re-useable sandwich baggies - not sure what to ask her for money though!!

Made a few other small things lately, as well Along with a skirt that didn't work well. (not sure if I posted that?)

Here are a few pictures of the necklaces- not sure how else to get good pictures- they are cuter in person

Had two people ask me to sell them! Too bad they weren't people I will ever run into again
These are really pretty!

When I make reusable snack bags for people I charge $6.50 if I am using fabric in my stash. $9 if I have to go and buy a custom fabric. That is without shipping, and using waterproof nylon for the lining (i special order about once a year from Seattle fabrics) and velcro closure.

I am just too busy with my real job and living alone with the kids to functionally make a business out of any of my craftiness... though it would be nice...
RockinLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #113
MommyLyssa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I love them Going to make a few more soon! They are just using long scraps and walmart wooden beads (I will get at least 10 necklaces with beads left over from the $5 container of beads .

I used pul for the lining and then they are zippers. I might just say all four for $20- I don't want to push it. I am new and I am sure there is a flaw in there somewhere!

Owner and creator at https://www.etsy.com/shop/AllClothedinScarlet for modest, durable, and out of this world gorgeous dresses!
Old 03-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #114
MamaDawn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

At the cuff of the second leg on the romper!

Hand Painted yarn by Fairy Tale Knits

Direct link to my current colorways
MamaDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #115
Kaylacherie88
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Very cute Alyssa!

When you do tiered skirts, do you straight stitch and gather? For the one I did yesterday I noticed it was easier for me to pleat it by hand.
Also do you hem the bottom before or after? And how to make it straight?

Thank you Rdesonia for my crafty surprise!! Excited to make the nursing cover! And dryer balls! PS good dying job :-)

Last edited by Kaylacherie88; 03-07-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Kaylacherie88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #116
RockinLou
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmom View Post
I was going to make snack bags...I got the ripstop and everything to do it. Washed the ripstop and now I don't know which side I am suppose to use (there is a right and wrong side when using it for food).
i don't think so, i have mine with either side in and though there is a SLIGHT functional difference, ie- with the shiny side facing the food they are easier to wipe clean, I really don't htink it makes a difference.

I will ask my sister though, she did alllll the research on food safe fabrics when Fabrite when out of business, and she would know, she used to make a ton of them, but now she sells upcycled dresses and waldorf dolls (though not many of the dolls very often) ... anyway I'll check with her tonight!
Old 03-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #117
RockinLou
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaDawn View Post
At the cuff of the second leg on the romper!
I can't wait to see! I love to drool at what others can create that I am a lost cause over. (ie: all yarn crafts )
Old 03-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #118
MommyLyssa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinLou View Post
I can't wait to see! I love to drool at what others can create that I am a lost cause over. (ie: all yarn crafts )
I totally agree with this statement.

I normally cheat and gather on the machine. (If you apply just a small amount of tension to the top thread while sewing, it gathers it for you. SOO easy. And my machine has never gotten mad at me over it

As far as skirts- I hem bottoms first always. I tend to sew things together often, so if I can avoid that, I do I have only had one successful tiered skirt so far, and it ended up being slightly tight on her waist Next time I go to Joanns, I am going to buy some coordinating colors and try for another one! (Don't have any three I like together.)

I LOVE that I am able to whip out a simple skirt in 30 minutes. Just your basic gathered skirt with an elastic waist. My dd was picking out a fabric 30 minutes ago, and I am done

Old 03-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #119
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylacherie88 View Post
Very cute Alyssa!

When you do tiered skirts, do you straight stitch and gather? For the one I did yesterday I noticed it was easier for me to pleat it by hand.
Also do you hem the bottom before or after? And how to make it straight?

Thank you Rdesonia for my crafty surprise!! Excited to make the nursing cover! And dryer balls! PS good dying job :-)
I figured you that you have fabric so I sent things I thought you might want. The boning is used at the top of nursing covers so you can peak at the baby. The D rings are used for the strap to make it adjustable. Here is a tutorial.
http://madebythemamamonster.blogspot...-tutorial.html

My DD is too big now to make a little sailor dress. But I had the fabric matched up with that pattern at one time. (I actually have 5 yds of that fabric left as I think it is really stinking cute for a boy or girl! )

In the overalls, I threw some tiny little vintage metal sew in snaps and elastic that might be needed to make it.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #120
RockinLou
Registered Users
seller

Stevensmom- I checked with my sister and she said in terms of food safety it doesn't matter which way the nylon is put in the bags, but people prefer the slick side touching the food, it is easier to clean and smoother to the touch, but really, it doesn't matter. Whatever looks or feels right to you!