Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-01-2013, 08:15 PM   #41
Kaylacherie88
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
The basketball picture is all fleece. The bright blue one is rosebud minky (I think that's what they call this) soft but has a pattern to it. I dont have micro-fleece in there at all though

Advertisement

Kaylacherie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:18 PM   #42
MommyLyssa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: March UYS Game - CHATTER Thread

I would be up for a yard of the pink checkered fleece and the sage-y green fleece (maybe for a pair of jammie pants for ds2- I didn't have enough to make him a pair and he is rather sad)...and a little bit of the blue minky?

Owner and creator at https://www.etsy.com/shop/AllClothedinScarlet for modest, durable, and out of this world gorgeous dresses!
MommyLyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #43
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinLou View Post
The green / orange is a Batik

the heavy purple is a poly blend that is used mostly in clothing, but the name is escaping me. When I worked at Hancock fabrics the old ladies loved it for pants/jacket sets.... which makes it sounds awful, but i think it all depends on skill in the tailoring

BTW- what do you need? I'd love to trade you for some of that knit, DD would love it for summer PJs!
I agree it looks like a Batik. Batiks are hand-dyed/wax dyed cottons. They are used in quilting and are typically more expensive than other quilting cotton. They tend to be brightly colored and very popular for clothing in Africa. They make great hippy shirts and summer sun dresses (broomstick style... not sure the real term. But you wash it and wrap it around a broomstick to dry so it comes out wrinkly ). Batiks have a wonderful soft drape for clothing.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:35 PM   #44
Kaylacherie88
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Any ideas for the fabric all the way on the left? I like the look and feel, just no idea what to do with it.

Last edited by Kaylacherie88; 03-02-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:05 PM   #45
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylacherie88 View Post
Any ideas for the fabric all the way on the left? I like the look and feel, just no idea what to do with it.
It's a synthetic. I'd say 1980's from the colors. It would make a great moo moo nursing night gown. Sorry I don't have any really good suggestions for
it.
There are plenty of websites that can tell you how to figure out what a fabric is by burn testing it.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:12 PM   #46
Kaylacherie88
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
That's crazy! I have never heard of burn testing! I did think it would make nice pjs. It's most definitely pretty old, was hiding in my mothers stash for who knows how long lol
Old 03-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #47
MommyLyssa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have no suggestions...I am still pretty new, and have no idea what most fabrics still are honestly. I feel like such a fabric newb and really, really wish there was someone around here that would awkwardly walk around a fabric shop with me and feel all the fabric

Owner and creator at https://www.etsy.com/shop/AllClothedinScarlet for modest, durable, and out of this world gorgeous dresses!
MommyLyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:35 PM   #48
RockinLou
Registered Users
seller

I updated the game thread with the bonus themes for the month- I know the last week is really long, but it is also Passover and Easter, so a busy week for families

here they are:

Week 1- 3/1 to 3/8 UFO & Upcycling Week - Clear out the clutter by completing some UFOs and upcycling! +5 bonus points for the first UFO or upcycling project you complete this week. +1 for each additional UFO or upcycle you complete. +1 more bonus point if you show a before photo of your UFO and your pre-upcycled items

Week 2- 3/9 to 3/15 March Holidays - St. Patrick's Day, Easter, Passover & the official start of spring are all this month! This week receive 5 bonus points for the first item made that is for one of these holidays! It can be something that someone is going to wear for the celebration or something decorative. In celebration of the start of Spring, anything with flowers counts! One bonus point for additional items after the first "spring holiday" item is completed.

Week 3- 3/16 to 3/22 Something for the littles - +5 for the first item made for someone under the age of 12. +1 for every additional item made for one of the young ones!

Week 4- 3/23 to 3/31 Out like a LAMB! Anything soft, fluffy or wool, +5 for the first item, +1 for each additional item
RockinLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:12 AM   #49
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Since I made wool longies, do I get to count Diaper related extra points for those?

(I don't really use them as covers. )

Old 03-02-2013, 12:16 AM   #50
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyLyssa View Post
I have no suggestions...I am still pretty new, and have no idea what most fabrics still are honestly. I feel like such a fabric newb and really, really wish there was someone around here that would awkwardly walk around a fabric shop with me and feel all the fabric
If I lived near you, I would totally go on a touch and feel field trip to a craft store! **Most bolts of fabric have the fiber content written on the bolts, so you can always hide in the clearance section and feel/read.