Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-02-2013, 12:46 AM   #1
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
This weeks edition of Hate My In-laws

I'm actually very close with DH's grandparents. We bring the baby to visit every week, take them to mass, bring them dinners, etc. His grandmother is extremely ill. She's been in the hospital for about a week.

When she first went in DH's family was convinced she wasn't going to make it through the night. So we ran to the hospital but as we're pulling in mil calls me and says I can't come in and go wait at the house because it's "blood relatives only" .... Uh... Okay? Well this was total bs that she made up in her demented little brain apparently. Grandma kept asking where I was and dh was the only person she would talk to (we're the only ones that visit on a regular basis). Dh finds out mil made this rule up and calls me to come back. Grandma held my hand for over an hour when I finally got there.

We call and text my in-laws for updates or to find out where she's been moved to and if we can take the baby to see her (she's been asking for him the whole time but has been in ICU). They don't answer or respond. Aside from calling the hospital ourselves or dropping in, we get updates when in-laws update their expletive expletive expletive facebook statuses. But they can't answer their phones.

Join us next week for an all new episode of Hate My In-laws!

Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013, 12:51 AM   #2
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
First of all, I hope she's on the mend and is home shortly.

If she is able to speak for herself, she should be able to authorize the nurses to share information with you or your DH. Then you can just call the hospital instead of your ILs.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:22 AM   #3
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: This weeks edition of Hate My In-laws

What is wrong with people?!? In our family we call that "the vultures circling" because if people think someone may pass they start behaving like beasts. I hope she is feeling better soon and can get home. Poor dear.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:38 AM   #4
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama*Kim
If she is able to speak for herself, she should be able to authorize the nurses to share information with you or your DH. Then you can just call the hospital instead of your ILs.
This. And realize by now your mil is wacky doodle and just do/believe the opposite of what she says. I mean "blood relatives"? Gimme a break

sry 4 abbrev, im 1 hnd-ed typng & nak frm my iPhone
Old 03-02-2013, 06:39 AM   #5
sojomisa
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama*Kim View Post
First of all, I hope she's on the mend and is home shortly.

I agree.

Your MIL is a piece of work.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene
sojomisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:46 AM   #6
meeshkasheeba
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

15 years ago ICU would say "Family only" but even then you would be family. WHat a crock of crap. I hope your DH makes sure she knows he is pissed about this. What a witch. I hope Grandma is on the mend soon.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:51 AM   #7
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thanks ladies We're hoping for the best. This came on suddenly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaisyma View Post

This. And realize by now your mil is wacky doodle and just do/believe the opposite of what she says. I mean "blood relatives"? Gimme a break

sry 4 abbrev, im 1 hnd-ed typng & nak frm my iPhone
That's what I told dh. Whatever she says, do the opposite. He was totally ashamed of himself that he believed her and sent me home.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:01 AM   #8
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
I hope your grandma is able to leave the hospital soon. Having been through many family illnesses (and deaths - I'm older than you) people go a little crazy. It's a hard time, it makes people get all existential and freaky. And everyone freaks out in a different way. I have a crazy mil, so I understand. But she is their daughter (right?) and so she's scared and sad and freaking out. If she ever deserved kindness and understanding from you, now is probably it. So sorry you're going through this now. It hurts.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #9
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by danner View Post
I hope your grandma is able to leave the hospital soon. Having been through many family illnesses (and deaths - I'm older than you) people go a little crazy. It's a hard time, it makes people get all existential and freaky. And everyone freaks out in a different way. I have a crazy mil, so I understand. But she is their daughter (right?) and so she's scared and sad and freaking out. If she ever deserved kindness and understanding from you, now is probably it. So sorry you're going through this now. It hurts.
I'd agree with this, if her MIL wasn't like this about other stuff as well - but when it's all added together, the MIL just isn't a terribly nice or respectful person.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:12 PM   #10
mollypeters
Registered Users
seller
seller

personally, i would be concerned if grandma would only speak to dh and adamantly wanted you there. how is she being treated when ur not there? sorry to be a fear-monger, but that was kind of a red flag, kwim?
mollypeters is offline   Reply With Quote