Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #11
tink90
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Best Math......

Miquon hands-down for me....

Advertisement

*.~.~.*Petalheads*.~.~.*
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1484149
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Petal...61515813886015
tink90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #12
nehunt
Registered Users
seller

Thanks ladies! This is very helpful! Gives me places to start looking
nehunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #13
babysniffles
Registered Users

Use and love Singapore. But I was also impressed with Saxon Math.
babysniffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:03 AM   #14
Gaiaschild
Registered Users
seller

I also agree that it will vary by child. Math Mammoth has worked very well for us but I know others do not like the page layout because there can be many problems on a page. However, a student is only meant to complete approximately 1/2-1/3 of the problems on a page (the rest can be used for a review.). It's currently on sale at Homeschool Buyers Coop: https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/math-mammoth/?c=1. We use the light blue series. What attracted me (when I bought it 3 years ago) was the overall cost (I paid about $70 for grade 1-6a, as 6b was in the works then) and thoroughness of the lessons (I had looked over some samples and downloaded a free item from HSBC.). It's not a visually stunning program, but there's a lot to it. While a mastery program, it does slowly move over concepts which is great for my first child and helps slow down my second child.

My older child recently started using Beast Academy in addition to MM and is responding well to it. The downside is that this is a very new curriculum with grade 3 just being finished. Grade 4 will be next and might not be completed in time for us. Hopefully I can use grades 3 and 4 with my middle child. Thankfully, grade two will be ready in time for my currently 16 month old.

If I had found it before MM, I would have probably used MEP. I find there's a bit of a learning curve to teaching it, but nothing too difficult. It appears simple but there is much learning in the activities of the Lesson Plans. It is teacher intensive in terms of prepping lessons, but it goes over concepts very well.
Gaiaschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:38 AM   #15
fawnlovesjasper
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

For us it's McRuffy. It's spiral (constant review), colorful without being obnoxious, very hands on with lots of manipulative use and many built in games, the teacher book is scripted enough to tell you what to say without being the kind of scripting that makes mom feel like she doesnt' have enough of a brain to teach her kids.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #16
BeccaD777
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My favorites are Abeka and Math Mammoth. We are currently using Math Mammoth because it is much cheaper for multiple kids.

I find that it is true that different kids respond differently to certain curriculum, but I have found it more true that your attitude will determine their success. I have used many different programs hoping to find the one that will click with this child or that. In the end, I have discovered that I just have to pick what I think it best and they need to buck up. Not everything in life will be tailored to them and they have to learn to make the best of it. My oldest doesn't particularly like MM, but I have found that if I reduce the number of problems that are required, or stretch a difficult lesson over several days he is certainly able to complete it and understand the concept. My older dd, on the other hand, thrives on MM. If I tried to do different programs for different kids (as I have before) I will end up stretched too thin and no one will get what they need.

So, pick what YOU are comfortable teaching and then stop looking! Good luck with your search!
Old 04-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #17
DallasK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Singapore math is what we have had our best success with, my son really loves math though, so I think it does depend on the kid. I really like the way it focuses on the importance of mental math.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #18
TJR2119
Registered Users

My Mood:

My son really loves math and we will be going with Math in Focus. We'll be starting it in probably another week or so.
TJR2119 is offline   Reply With Quote