Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #1
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

Maternity leave

So I can take up to 12 weeks from my job. I work 12 hour overnights, so even though I work 3 days a week I spend a lot of time recovering from work and sleeping. I have some sick and vacation time hours saved up, plus I'll get 4 weeks paid from my short term disability insurance. Basically I could swing to take the whole 12 weeks. I would probably have them pay me for 60 hours a check (biweekly) so I'd make less, but we could scootch by. Anyway now I'm thinking... if I do that then I won't be able to take time off when my little guy is 6 months old, or 9 months old, or have any sick time available if he's sick and needs me. Or what if I'm sick?
So should I take the full 12 weeks off? Should I take 8 weeks and go back 1 or 2 days a week for a month instead of 3 just to get us started? Should I just throw caution to the wind and just stay home? Babies are so cute at 6 months old.... and 9 months.... and a year... I'd like to be able to take some time off then maybe.....

Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
MiniLambMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Have you been at your job at least 12 mos? What leave are you taking? Disability or FMLA?
MiniLambMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Maternity leave

I get 12 with my FMLA also, but the last few weeks I'll be taking unpaid and using our savings. With this one and with each of my past 2 kids... I've left about 3 days of sicktime in my "bank" so that I have it if/when I return to work. Heck, I called out my second day back with my first because she had a runny nose lol! You'll acrue time once you're back to work, won't you? So you could use that at 6 months/9 months etc...

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Maternity leave

how susceptible are you to getting sick?
Old 03-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #5
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I would burn all your paid time off. Just take the 8 and save a little for enjoying some days off with the baby plus some sick time (in case you need it).

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote