Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Help me get started on shorties please!

I just got some yarn that I want to try to knit some shorties out of and I don't know where to start. I've seen that the Evie pants pattern is highly recommended. I'm just not sure what needles I need to buy. I'm a beginning knitter. This will be my first time to follow a pattern.

Advertisement

Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
Teddyandnick
Registered Users
seller
seller

It depends on your gauge. For the evie pants pattern you need 2 16" circular needles, one to meet your gauge and one 2 or more sizes smaller for the waistband and 1 12" circular needle in the same size as your gauge needle for the legs and 1 set of double pointed needles in the same size as your gauge needle for the gusset. I use an 8 for my gauge and a 6 for the waistband.
Teddyandnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
So you know what size swatch I need to knit to figure the gauge. I've never done that. This is totally new to me :/
Old 03-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #4
blairmarie333
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help me get started on shorties please!

Not sure how "new" you are to knitting, but I would say I don't think I would tackle a pair of shorties as my first major project. Short rows can be tricky if you are VERY new. When I first started I made a few very simple things (coin purse, regular purse, hat) so I could get the hang of it and understand the lingo.

If you have a good grasp on what you are doing already, I would recommend the Evie pattern. The instructions are very clear and easy to understand/follow. In her pattern, she lays out exactly what materials you will need.

Good luck!
blairmarie333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:32 PM   #5
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blairmarie333
Not sure how "new" you are to knitting, but I would say I don't think I would tackle a pair of shorties as my first major project. Short rows can be tricky if you are VERY new. When I first started I made a few very simple things (coin purse, regular purse, hat) so I could get the hang of it and understand the lingo.

If you have a good grasp on what you are doing already, I would recommend the Evie pattern. The instructions are very clear and easy to understand/follow. In her pattern, she lays out exactly what materials you will need.

Good luck!
I'm new as in I've made a few scarves . I think I understand the terms and techniques enough to follow a pattern as long as I don't get too distracted, which won't be easy with two kids! I think I'm more intimidated than anything. I'm also the type to dive in head first so I think I will buy it and see what happens! I've always been the type to say oh I can make that! Which usually gets me into a lot if messes
Old 03-02-2013, 09:53 PM   #6
christiemurley
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Help me get started on shorties please!

Are you on Ravlery? It has an Eviepants group that you can join and they have a ton of q&a in the forums and you can ask any questions that you have and usually get a pretty quick response. HTH!
Old 03-02-2013, 09:56 PM   #7
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by christiemurley
Are you on Ravlery? It has an Eviepants group that you can join and they have a ton of q&a in the forums and you can ask any questions that you have and usually get a pretty quick response. HTH!
Yes I am. Thanks! I'll check it out tomorrow. I did go practice rolling a ball of cheap yarn into a center pull ball while a ago. Now I can at least get my yarn ready while I figure out what needles I need
Old 03-02-2013, 09:56 PM   #8
Teddyandnick
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art mama
So you know what size swatch I need to knit to figure the gauge. I've never done that. This is totally new to me :/
The gauge is 4.5 sts per in with worsted/aran weight yarn. I think you will be fine starting with shorties. I made a pair of longies for DS2 for my first real project. The only part I messed up was a twisted stitch on the zig zag short row. You can always buy some cheap yarn and do a test pair. You tube has a lot of great tutorials. There is a thread that has a lot of great info in it. I will post it in a minute if I can find it.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:58 PM   #9
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddyandnick

The gauge is 4.5 sts per in with worsted/aran weight yarn. I think you will be fine starting with shorties. I made a pair of longies for DS2 for my first real project. The only part I messed up was a twisted stitch on the zig zag short row. You can always buy some cheap yarn and do a test pair. You tube has a lot of great tutorials. There is a thread that has a lot of great info in it. I will post it in a minute if I can find it.
Thank you!
Old 03-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #10
Teddyandnick
Registered Users
seller
seller

Here is the link.

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1386179