Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-03-2013, 08:19 PM   #11
3girlymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help me get started on shorties please!

I love the Little Turtle Knits Picky Pants pattern. Theresa has things spelled out very well in her pattern. I made sure to take my time on my first pair, and it went really well with no issues. I can't remember how long I had been knitting when I attempted those. My first knit was the LTK Pilot Cap and Stripey Slippers. I think the Picky Pants followed those.

Advertisement

3girlymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:15 PM   #12
Only
Registered Users
Formerly: hu**rees
seller
seller

If you PM a mod to move this to the Craft Chat you would probably have a lot more responses there.

Austen 06/12
Only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:48 PM   #13
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Only
If you PM a mod to move this to the Craft Chat you would probably have a lot more responses there.
Done
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:09 AM   #14
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie Kisses

Done
I thought they was where I posted it...I must have been sleep deprived! Thanks!

Last edited by Art mama; 03-04-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #15
MamaDawn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Make sure you are checking your gauge in the round not flat, there's a trick to doing it with flat knitting though.... here's a link.... http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/pl...r-gauge-swatch

I need a 7 and a 5 for Evie pants so make sure you do check.... And you can put all your gauges in a spreadsheet so you don't have to keep doing gauge swatches

Hand Painted yarn by Fairy Tale Knits

Direct link to my current colorways
MamaDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #16
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaDawn
Make sure you are checking your gauge in the round not flat, there's a trick to doing it with flat knitting though.... here's a link.... http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/pl...r-gauge-swatch

I need a 7 and a 5 for Evie pants so make sure you do check.... And you can put all your gauges in a spreadsheet so you don't have to keep doing gauge swatches
Thanks I'm going to have to get some needles to even check the gauge :/. If I let you know what yarn I'm using do you think you would know what the gauge is? This is the part that confuses me...once I get started I think I'll be fine.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #17
MamaDawn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Gauge is how many stitches per inch you knit.... it's different for different knitters, average needle size needed for worsted weight is 7 or 8, some need to go down to a 6 others up to a 9, but most likely you will need a 7 or an 8 for the body and a 5 or 6 for the ribbing

It also sounds like you need help measuring gauge... ok I was going to post a link but I can't find what looks like a good one to me

Let me get pics and I'll show you

Old 03-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #18
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thank you! I really don't know what I'm doing but I'm determined! Lol. I just don't want to invest a ton in needles that I don't need right now. I wasn't even thinking about the gauge being different with different knitters. But that makes sense.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #19
MamaDawn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

so you lay your work flat like this and put a ruler down on it... a lot of needle gauges come with a ruler on them and that's what I'm using here (you can even see where my kids put a sticker on it and now it has paper stuck to it lol) some use a tape measure but I don't like to, they move too much and can give you an off measurement

move the ruler over so the 0 line lines up with the beginning of a stitch (not one on the edge or your work)

mark the 0 and the 4" marks.... I used safty pins but you can use anything you can stick between the stitches

then move the ruler and count your sts... here I got 19.5 sts/4in or 4.875 sts/in

I like this example because it shows counting a 1/2 stitch, make sure you do because that can make a difference in the long run

HTH

Old 03-05-2013, 05:11 PM   #20
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaDawn

so you lay your work flat like this and put a ruler down on it... a lot of needle gauges come with a ruler on them and that's what I'm using here (you can even see where my kids put a sticker on it and now it has paper stuck to it lol) some use a tape measure but I don't like to, they move too much and can give you an off measurement

move the ruler over so the 0 line lines up with the beginning of a stitch (not one on the edge or your work)

mark the 0 and the 4" marks.... I used safty pins but you can use anything you can stick between the stitches

then move the ruler and count your sts... here I got 19.5 sts/4in or 4.875 sts/in

I like this example because it shows counting a 1/2 stitch, make sure you do because that can make a difference in the long run

HTH
Thank you so much. I'll grab one when I to town next time. I've seen where people knit a 6x6 inch swatch. Is this a good size to check the gauge?