Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
KumfyKozies
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Somewhere underneath my yarn and fabric hoard in the US of A
My Mood:
When does your school year end? Or does it?

Title says it all.

Advertisement

KumfyKozies™- Etsy Shop
KumfyKozies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
7mom7
Registered Users

Re: When does your school year end? Or does it?

It doesn't One thing I like about schooling year-round is that I don't worry about taking a day off or even a week off if we have sick kiddos. My goal is 3 days a week of school but sometimes it's 2 or 4 depending on what's going on. I think if we took a month or more off it would drive all of us crazy. We like the structure. It was hard enough to get back on track after one bad week!
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #3
KumfyKozies
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Somewhere underneath my yarn and fabric hoard in the US of A
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mom7 View Post
It doesn't One thing I like about schooling year-round is that I don't worry about taking a day off or even a week off if we have sick kiddos. My goal is 3 days a week of school but sometimes it's 2 or 4 depending on what's going on. I think if we took a month or more off it would drive all of us crazy. We like the structure. It was hard enough to get back on track after one bad week!
I totally get that. When we have taken a full week of for Christmas, etc, it has been pretty rough getting started back up! Even Mondays seem to be sticky around here when we take Saturday and Sunday off.
Does your state not require reports, etc? Ours requires quarterly reports and portfolios of work done in that time frame, so schooling year-round would be difficult to report. Instead, we use May through August for prime outdoor learning time with gardening, nature learning, road trips and traveling for learning, etc. My oldest(6) REALLY wants to go to Plymouth, Massachusetts this summer to see Plymouth Plantation. We're hoping to make it happen! Still A LOT of learning, but no book work.
KumfyKozies™- Etsy Shop
KumfyKozies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:39 PM   #4
7mom7
Registered Users

Yeah, I see how that could be difficult. We live in a very HS friendly state so no reporting required
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:37 AM   #5
MommyLyssa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We are really impulsive and spontaneous people when it comes to plans...so we school year round...kind of. We start the next grade in the fall when schools begin, but we rarely do 5 days a week. We tend to do a couple days here and there, and then just go to be out and about. So, we school through the year, but not necessarily intentionally. We do it because we need to finish the years curriculum before starting the next year

Owner and creator at https://www.etsy.com/shop/AllClothedinScarlet for modest, durable, and out of this world gorgeous dresses!
MommyLyssa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #6
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm due in May so we'll likely take 1/2 of May and possibly 1/2 of June off and then get right back into the swing of things. Likely with 3rd grade for DS1, 1st grade for DD and pre-k for DS2. I will count that as starting the 13/14 school year...144 days required in Iowa.

Our state is pretty lax for us because we opt to do standardized testing. We go to the school in the spring (just did it a couple weeks ago) and DS1 spends 2-3 days doing a test and that's all they require from us. If he were slacking or not doing as well perhaps they'd be more strict but he always tests 1.5-2 grades ahead so it's never been an issue.

We do quasi year round schooling that way I don't have to worry about taking a day (or 6 LOL) off when we need a sanity break. We typically take off most of December for Christmas and just do fun Advent activities (bake cookies, take cookies to neighbors, crafts, etc)
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)

Last edited by MamaNae; 03-04-2013 at 09:02 AM.
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:05 AM   #7
lyn1270
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

sounds like i'm right in there w/the rest of you. my state is pretty lenient on reporting requirements and the like. we technically start our HS year on August 1st. We usually have 4 day weeks, but sometimes it turns into a 3 day week. We usually take off most of the month of July, but that has more to do w/vacations and family stuff than school. I do find that the more time we take off, the harder it is to get them back into the groove of school.
lyn1270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #8
Mysweetseven
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We have in the previous 2 years followed the school year but this year we are schooling year round. I have older kids that are in PS so I"m not sure how that will go yet with them being home and if the younger ones will feel like they are being slighted somehow, we'll see....
Mysweetseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:59 AM   #9
acwakip
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am not sure what we are going to do yet. I think we will probably go year-round but only do reading, grammar, and math during the summer months. My oldest is behind in math so I want him to work as much as possible.
acwakip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #10
HMinshall
Registered Users
seller

We are finishing this school year on May 24th...then off until July 8th....we will probably do some work with math facts and writing during our break, but we have some vacation and camps during June so we are taking our "big" break then....
HMinshall is offline   Reply With Quote