Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 05-30-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Perineum tear treatments

I tore having my son so obviously I am sore and swollen. What are some pain relief you did? I have frozen witch hazel and aloe on pads but it resulted in excess swelling. I think that was because of extra moisture.
My friend recommends coconut oil to speed healing but I am weary of doing that because I can't find any research.
So what do you recommend?

alyxmegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Perineum tear treatments

I would stick with just witch hazel pads. Tucks pads on a disposable maxi pad did wonders for me. Make sure you're using your peri bottle when you go pee. You can alternate cold and warm compresses also.
Mae- Mama to Gustavo 10/07, Joey 12/10 and Henry 5/13
“No matter how big the lie; repeat it often enough and the masses will regard it as the truth.” ― John F. Kennedy
gingerpeachee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
Registered Users

I agree with the witch hazel and do your best to verify that it's alcohol free witch hazel. The last thing you want is rubbing alcohol on your sensitive skin. I hope you feel better! I had a second degree tear and was pretty sore too, I think it took me four weeks to feel a lot better but obviously every week got easier. The first week was definitely the hardest. Also take stool softeners, dulcolax is safe while breastfeeding. You definitely don't want to have constipation issues with a perineal tear. Something I learned the hard way...

I saw your update in the hypnobabies thread, I am glad you had a good labor and delivery. Our experiences with hypnobabies sounds pretty similar (minus hospital instead of home).
E, wife to my rock, S 2009
Mama to DD 1/13
evasimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #4
Registered Users
Stool softener and a hemorrhoid pillow help a lot. The sitz bath too. And for numbing at the hospital they would cut a slit in the end of a nb sposie and stuff it with ice. Perfect size/shape and absorbed as it melted.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:02 PM   #5
Registered Users

homeopathy for swelling/bruising - arnica 30c is a MUST!!

herbs for your sitz bath- comfrey, yarrow, witch hazel bark/extract - not the astringent kind but actual herbal witch hazel. you can make a tea kind of water and sit in it up to 3 times a day. works FAST.

coconut oil and/or calendula ointment i would also recommend, but wait until you are not freshly torn. it might burn a little if you dont. they will help you heal up with barely any scar.
none on the boards, but feedback on LJ here:
nettepoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:11 AM   #6
Registered Users

keep you feet up more (more resting). Walking around can make for a swollen area. Spread your legs infront of a fan for a little bit each day to get some air around your wound. I second just witch hazel.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:47 PM   #7
Registered Users
My Mood:

Boiling up some comfrey and diluting for a sitz bath will help it heal faster. Getting air in is also very important. I've heard there's some sort of spray numbing thing you can buy.

Cherry or prune juice 3x/day can be an alternative to stool softener.

Feel better soon!
JennGlidden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:39 PM   #8
Registered Users

Keep your Tucks jar in the refrigerator!
One happy Granny! Ellen Noel 6/19/08, Ada Grace 5/7/10, and Boden Jacob 12/24/11
newGranny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #9
Registered Users

cloth pads and family cloth. Soft, breathable and the family cloth are great to pat dry after using the peri-bottle. Toilet paper leaves bits on you, uug.
Mommy to sweet daughter K Nov 2011 & N May 2013. Wife to wonderful husband D since Sept 2008. Always remembering baby J 10wks Missing baby Q 13wks
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:52 PM   #10
Registered Users
My Mood:

I've now had a 4th, 3rd, 2nd, and most recently (last week) 1st degree tear, and here is what has helped me.

Use the peri bottle with warm water, blot dry, wipe with witch hazel pads, spray with dermaplast. Every single time you use the bathroom.

For the first 2 weeks, rest as much as possible, I have 3 other kids running around under 6, so it's not the easiest, but as much as you can, sit, or lay down.

Ice in the beginning really helped swelling go down, but wasn't helpful after the first few days.

For my 4th degree tear, sitz baths really helped, but I didn't need to with my other tears.

And definitely stool softener until you don't have pain anymore.

My 4th degree took about a month before I felt normal doing normal daily activities, the 2nd and 3rd degree took at most 2 weeks, and the 1st degree I forgot was there after a few days.

I've heard other people say it takes them longer, so maybe I've just had really great repairs, but I think being consistent with the care of the wound has helped tremendously.
Hi I'm Sara mommy to 4 little Mischief Makers
SaraElise is offline   Reply With Quote