Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #11
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Re: *March Gardening Thread*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna1988 View Post
We are still in TLA (basically a hotel). Not really any sun to start anything, since we only have 2 windows and we don't know how long we'll be without housing. The house we wanted fell through
Oh I'm so sorry. Do you have a private balcony or patio attached?

Advertisement

3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #12
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

I have a couple questions ladies.

1. This is my second year trying garlic (first time was unsuccessful) and the first time trying onions. I planted them in November, when are they supposed to be ready to harvest? They're still really big and green and my chickens keep getting after them. LOL

2. One of my blackberry bushes, a thornless floricane bearing plant - isn't doing as well as I had hoped. The frost seems to have killed the canes. It has some sprouts down by the rootball but no buds on the canes and they seem very dry. Would you rip it out? It's 3 years old at this point and I've gotten nothing from it.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #13
Bethany89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We ordered a bunch of heirloom seeds.. Never used many seeds except our cucumber plants last year when we just dropped seeds in the ground and they did awesome. Do I need to start all inside? I'm pretty sure our peppers need to come inside but what about tomatoes, zucchini, beans, peas, etc?

We have so much to plant this year!
Old 03-04-2013, 03:43 PM   #14
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
I have a couple questions ladies.

1. This is my second year trying garlic (first time was unsuccessful) and the first time trying onions. I planted them in November, when are they supposed to be ready to harvest? They're still really big and green and my chickens keep getting after them. LOL

2. One of my blackberry bushes, a thornless floricane bearing plant - isn't doing as well as I had hoped. The frost seems to have killed the canes. It has some sprouts down by the rootball but no buds on the canes and they seem very dry. Would you rip it out? It's 3 years old at this point and I've gotten nothing from it.
I would rip out the bush, sadly. Three years is a long time... perhaps try cutting it back and moving it to a different spot? Nothing to lose, I suppose.

As for the garlic and onions-- being in a different climate probably changes things. But, you know my DH and his garlic obsessions.... We plant in the fall, and harvest usually by the end of June, beginning of July. Have you seen any scapes? We usually cut the scapes, give them a few more weeks and pull one to have a look.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:08 PM   #15
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Yeah I'm thinking it's a dud. (the blackberry) Never has thrived here.

No scapes yet, gosh I can't believe they go all the way to July! I guess that confirms that my carrots will be fall crop only. They're in my root crop-raised bed. Stink! We've only had one snow, so pretty mild.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #16
vjbakke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We'll be starting our peppers and tomatoes next week, or when our seed order gets here. We are planing on making this- http://www.vegetablegardener.com/ite...-seed-starting

Put it in our basement for starting seeds. We are also going to put up hoop houses on our raised beds. We can get things going before the last frost and hopfuly extend the growing season the fall. We are in zone 4b.
vjbakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #17
joyjoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my DD and i started a few things today.
peanuts and poppies, sunflowers and cranberry beans in my little garden. (this is right next to the house -- right next to the septic. so no eating much from there, just mostly improving the soil for fun and flowers in future.)
we also started more cranberry beans in toilet paper rolls, a couple tomatoes (mexican midget) and red peppers (cherry size), plus marigolds, allysum, and one lonely cosmos for sprouting at the back window.
yay!
we'll see if i manage any spring crops at all in the big garden. DH will have quite a few heavy-duty chores to get it ready, since i'm preggos, and i'm not foreseeing that happening anytime soon.
and i just realized i have no okra seeds! yikes. how did i miss that??
joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #18
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
Yeah I'm thinking it's a dud. (the blackberry) Never has thrived here.

No scapes yet, gosh I can't believe they go all the way to July! I guess that confirms that my carrots will be fall crop only. They're in my root crop-raised bed. Stink! We've only had one snow, so pretty mild.
California must change things... I mean, our garlic is still sitting under a foot of snow.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #19
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

yeah they've never died. Not even in the snow! They've been steadily growing since Nov. Now I don't have any delusions that means that they will be ready sooner.

My sprouts are coming up nicely, I think I'm going to wait a few weeks on the warm season crops. I'm not in a five alarm fire hurry for tomatoes and stuff and we have such a late end to the season I think it's better for me to wait than start too soon. I've got them all set aside waiting though. So many kinds of tomatoes... I can't decide!!!

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 03-04-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:05 PM   #20
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:

I bought a strawberry plant to see how it does. We also bought some sunflower seeds and planted them around the border of the garden for fun. I looked everywhere for a rosemary bush or seeds but couldn't find any!

So right now we have pumpkins, watermelon, and spaghetti squash in a bed. Sunflowers around part of the bed. Cucumbers, zucchini, and green beans each in their own container. Oregano and strawberries each in their own small pot. Started cherry tomatoes and bell peppers in cardboard egg cartons and basil in recycled milk jugs.

In a warmer/dryer climate, how often should I water?
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*

Last edited by AcrossTheUniverse; 03-04-2013 at 09:06 PM.
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote