Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #21
ctj101502
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: *March Gardening Thread*

I am going to start seeds in egg cartoons using chicken light for her etc the 15th. Our sunniest side of the house has only 2 Windows and putting anything out during the day will be destroyed by chickens.
Question.... I have a male mullberry tree on the south side of my garden. So last yr I planted salads...etc in that area, nothing grew. I have no other areas I want to put a garden, so moving it isn't an option, just trying to figure out the 20x60ft area that gets shade, the other 3/4 of the garden did well last yr, especially corn and potatoes

Advertisement

Can't forget my 6 lil blessings!!!
ctj101502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #22
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcrossTheUniverse View Post
I bought a strawberry plant to see how it does. We also bought some sunflower seeds and planted them around the border of the garden for fun. I looked everywhere for a rosemary bush or seeds but couldn't find any!

So right now we have pumpkins, watermelon, and spaghetti squash in a bed. Sunflowers around part of the bed. Cucumbers, zucchini, and green beans each in their own container. Oregano and strawberries each in their own small pot. Started cherry tomatoes and bell peppers in cardboard egg cartons and basil in recycled milk jugs.

In a warmer/dryer climate, how often should I water?
This is highly dependent upon the composition of your soil. This year you're going to have to watch the plants and dig into the soil often to see how damp it is. You can pick up a probe hygrometer at the garden center by the houseplants. I would start with every three days. Mulch mulch mulch! It keeps it from evaporating off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctj101502 View Post
I am going to start seeds in egg cartoons using chicken light for her etc the 15th. Our sunniest side of the house has only 2 Windows and putting anything out during the day will be destroyed by chickens.
Question.... I have a male mullberry tree on the south side of my garden. So last yr I planted salads...etc in that area, nothing grew. I have no other areas I want to put a garden, so moving it isn't an option, just trying to figure out the 20x60ft area that gets shade, the other 3/4 of the garden did well last yr, especially corn and potatoes
Caution about the egg cartons, the roots grow together! I did this last year and it was a bit of a mess! LOL

The mulberry tree, ugh. I have one near my garden too. The problem is that they have extensive, extensive root systems. They will rob any and every garden bed you put out. I tried to barrier the bottom of my raised beds and they got around that too. They destroyed tomatoes one year - and everyone knows how hard that is!! If you want to grow under that tree, I'd plant in pots. The new trend of using painted cattle waterers is cute and would probably work.

3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #23
Ocean4Me
Registered Users
Formerly: ***ach

I think we will plant lettuce and onions soon!Also looking at seed savers exchange for tomato seeds to start plants...any recommendations?
Ocean4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #24
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean4Me View Post
I think we will plant lettuce and onions soon!Also looking at seed savers exchange for tomato seeds to start plants...any recommendations?
Black cherry tomatoes for sure.. My fave slicers are always the pink brandywines.

ETA: oh crud! My spinach died. Now I have to get a whole new pkt to start over with. Darn. I was so excited too, I've never gotten so many to sprout.

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 03-05-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #25
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Bought 3 different compost and seeds today! And 4 small tomato plants this weekend I'll get the lumber for the beds, and possibly the rest of the compost and vermiculite and peet moss. I'm so excited!
Old 03-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #26
ctj101502
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
This is highly dependent upon the composition of your soil. This year you're going to have to watch the plants and dig into the soil often to see how damp it is. You can pick up a probe hygrometer at the garden center by the houseplants. I would start with every three days. Mulch mulch mulch! It keeps it from evaporating off.

Caution about the egg cartons, the roots grow together! I did this last year and it was a bit of a mess! LOL

The mulberry tree, ugh. I have one near my garden too. The problem is that they have extensive, extensive root systems. They will rob any and every garden bed you put out. I tried to barrier the bottom of my raised beds and they got around that too. They destroyed tomatoes one year - and everyone knows how hard that is!! If you want to grow under that tree, I'd plant in pots. The new trend of using painted cattle waterers is cute and would probably work.

Oh that looks awesome!
Old 03-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #27
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Rain's a coming' here. Couple of day's worth of thunderstorms and hopefully... no snow flurries. My strawberries and berry canes have been responding well to the warm weather and I would hate for snow to set them back now. I just planted my asparagus crowns yesterday too.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #28
ctj101502
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Gonna revamp our chicken ideas, move them to garden, then do new area for garden. We have a back acre that would be perfect for garden, but we are to far for hose to reach. We have a pond near it, how and what could we buy/build to have water pumped to garden. Cheapest and easiest ideas?
Old 03-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #29
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:
I think my strawberry plant is dying. It is very wilted and sad looking. Our weather has been so extreme here--high 80s during the day but then down to 30s at night (gotta love the desert!). I'm wondering if the cold nights are doing it in.

Heather- Wife to 1, Mom to 5!
80lbs lost & counting!
Sent using DS Forum
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #30
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctj101502 View Post
Gonna revamp our chicken ideas, move them to garden, then do new area for garden. We have a back acre that would be perfect for garden, but we are to far for hose to reach. We have a pond near it, how and what could we buy/build to have water pumped to garden. Cheapest and easiest ideas?
Not really sure.. I bet some of the mamas in the farm/homestead chat thread might know! I wish I had a pond!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcrossTheUniverse View Post
I think my strawberry plant is dying. It is very wilted and sad looking. Our weather has been so extreme here--high 80s during the day but then down to 30s at night (gotta love the desert!). I'm wondering if the cold nights are doing it in.

Heather- Wife to 1, Mom to 5!
80lbs lost & counting!
Sent using DS Forum
Strawberries are pretty hardy.. is it still in it's original pot you bought it in or did you replant it? If you cover the "crown" it will die. Mine haven't wilted during 100 degree heat or snow. They tolerate most things well, except over watering or being planted too deep.

ETA: wait a sec, you just bought that plant! Take that sucker back to the store for a replacement! LOL

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 03-07-2013 at 02:17 PM.