Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-04-2013, 08:30 AM   #11
jessicanashville
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do you know when you've purged enough?

I have been going through my house for the last year and I am on my second time through everything. I am just to the point where it is feeling breathable and I don't feel like I have a million things to go through all the time... I want to get to a good point and then maintain. I have the mindset I will always have things to get rid of because I have kids... Clothes they have outgrown... Toys they don't play with etc

Advertisement

jessicanashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #12
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

I feel you Mama. I was on a quest to clean and declutter our entire 1080 SF home before the arrival of baby #3 in April. I need our home to work in my favor instead of against me with another little one and minimal space.

This was my aha moment, too. My DH scoffs a little sometimes when I get rid of something, but if I'm sick of wasting my time picking it up, it's not working for me.

I think minimalism is a lifelong process, but the first initial purge is the hardest. You have to look at things and think about them. After awhile, it does become second nature which makes it easier to make decisions about things later. Even after the first time through the house, I'm seeing things I missed the first time around. When it's all said and done, the "first purge" is going to have taken me about 6 months.

Since I prefer to sell my castoffs instead of donating them, I have to have a place to store them until the appointed time. For things I haven't been sure about, I store them away for awhile until I can make a final decision. Generally speaking, there are only 3 things I've dug out again: a plastic popcorn bowl ,5 plastic bowls for popcorn, and an old Avon decanter for homemade vanilla (which was actually something my grandmother gave me but I had nothing to use it for until I thought up the vanilla idea).
Old 03-04-2013, 10:05 AM   #13
madebymommy
Banned - User Requested
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Blessed View Post

That's great! I love that feeling of coming home from a donation drop off, and how empty the house feels. I have a closet stuffed with 3 large bins of consignment stuff the first weekend of April, and I cannot wait until that is gone, because that closet will be empty minus a couple bins of toys we rotate out for the kids.
Thanks! It's especially hard for me, because I was raised by total boarders... And now my parents buy way too many toys for the kids and get upset when I get rid of things they have bought them they are not going to be impressed when they see how empty this place is, but man I feel so much better!! We have a very small house with practically no storage, so there were mornings I dreaded waking up because I knew the house was going to be trashed by the end of the day. I woke up feeling very good this morning
madebymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:23 AM   #14
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabitha84 View Post
I think it's a life long process. Because more stuff will always be coming in, especially with kids. So you always have to be evaluating what's junk, what's getting used, etc.
I agree. I feel like I'm always evaluating what needs to stay/go.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #15
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabitha84
I think it's a life long process. Because more stuff will always be coming in, especially with kids. So you always have to be evaluating what's junk, what's getting used, etc.
I believe that. I won't let it get this out of control again.
Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #16
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by passthepickles
I think you just know. I have reached the point where I don't have much left to get rid of, but I have a permanent spot in my garage where goodwill things go and when something isn't being used, it goes. I am much more discriminating when it comes to bringing new things into my house or keeping things. When my kids get a "junk" toy from a friend or relative, I know that the initial excitement will wear off in a week or two and when I ask them if they have anything for Goodwill, they will inevitably hand it over. When it comes to hubby and I, we just don't bring things home anymore. We like our house the way it is and do not enjoy having to sort through clutter! If you feel like you still have too much stuff, you are probably not there yet. I have been on a minimizing kick for nearly three years and I am *just* finding the sweet spot.
Oh I'm nowhere near done! Lol. And I'm already finding myself being more picky about what I buy or bring in. I just try to remember those boxes that I just hauled out!
Old 03-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #17
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed2005

I feel you Mama. I was on a quest to clean and declutter our entire 1080 SF home before the arrival of baby #3 in April. I need our home to work in my favor instead of against me with another little one and minimal space. Did too much and gave myself contractions and landed on bedrest . Now I am stuck looking at junk and depending on DH being the mom and dad, cook and bread-winner, cleaner, etc. No more decluttering is getting done until I can get back on my feet. Hopefully at 37 weeks I can bust my butt and finish the rooms that are left undone before Abel arrives. I can't stand all the crap laying around anymore!!
That stinks! I was out in bed rest at 36 weeks and only had a week before she was born and it was horrible! I kept looking at all of the stuff I wanted to do.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:18 PM   #18
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickshep19

This^^^^

I started purging in 2011 & I am getting closer but only with my stuff, my 15 mo's stuff & my 5 yos stuff. The hardest part is getting my extended family on board.

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k
No kidding about the extended family. I told my mom if she bought dd anything else it was staying at her house!
Old 03-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #19
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks for the input everyone. I was going to respond to you all but my hand is tired lol

The problem is that I feel like I'm drowning in stuff. And it's just stuff. It doesn't make me happy and it takes too much time and energy to deal with it. So I made the decision that its going away. My dh and dd are getting more on board as they see that we are starting to open up some space. At this point they don't have much say...I can't stand it anymore!!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:01 AM   #20
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

At this point they don't have much say...I can't stand it anymore!!

Exactly. Hubby isn't/wasn't pleased with some of the stuff I got rid of, but he's seeing the payoff in our kids. I don't fight with them to clean up toys anymore because it's not overwhelming. Last night they'd spread Duplos out all over the living room. Normally, this would have been a huge undertaking to get them to clean them up because they would have been spread around with a bunch of other toys. Now just the Duplos are in the living room and they could clearly see it was the only thing to be picked up so they did it happily and quickly.