Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #21
leadmare
Registered Users
seller

Re: Mini Minimalist Challenge: 3/4-3/8

Woo hoo! Glad to hear everyone's progress so far. Visiting family so not purging my own stuff, but what is it with family wanting to give you things, lol? Got some antifreeze from my dad and he slipped in a flashlight, and this is after he gave us binoculars. And a kiddie high chair (for dolls) from my aunt. And random things from my mom. I think I'll just be dropping most of it off for donation. Another thing I've realized that is so odd to me is that my dad has a shopping problem...

And funnily enough, after getting rid of the "computer museum", we found an old laptop, 2 more old monitors, and a scanner. Hopefully my mom can let those go, too. How did she have all this?

Advertisement

leadmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:45 AM   #22
Shellyluwho
Registered Users
seller

Great job, ladies. Last night I cleaned out under my 11 yo ds's bed to make room for my 8 yos mattress while we are showing the house to sell. I was using the space to store toilet paper and supplies, but we have been using it up in preparation for the move. I actually found 3 boxes of Qtips under there that I put in the yardsale pile. And I swept a huge pile of dirt and trash out, including a little candy necklace bead. I am glad my four year old didn't find it first and eat it. The mattress is now under the bed. I threw out some junk mail yesterday, more than 5 things. I also need to clean out my mail sorter still, some of those papers are months old. My goal is to pack 2 boxes in my kitchen today. I will weed out the clutter as I pack.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #23
ArronDalesMama
Registered Users

Bonus task #3 done. I wiped my whole laundry room down. Plus swept. Basically I cleaned it.

I have 1 week and 2 days before my mom visits. I want to wow and impress her. Painting the kitchen and going to re-purge it. Tell me I can get this done. It is the last of the painting to do.

I'm gonna make another donation drop off tomorrow. I have that much in one week!

Suggestion for next week: bonus task: wash your windows. I need to do it and these tasks help.
Due with #2 2/14/16
ArronDalesMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #24
ArronDalesMama
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellyluwho
Great job, ladies. Last night I cleaned out under my 11 yo ds's bed to make room for my 8 yos mattress while we are showing the house to sell. I was using the space to store toilet paper and supplies, but we have been using it up in preparation for the move. I actually found 3 boxes of Qtips under there that I put in the yardsale pile. And I swept a huge pile of dirt and trash out, including a little candy necklace bead. I am glad my four year old didn't find it first and eat it. The mattress is now under the bed. I threw out some junk mail yesterday, more than 5 things. I also need to clean out my mail sorter still, some of those papers are months old. My goal is to pack 2 boxes in my kitchen today. I will weed out the clutter as I pack.
How are those 2 boxes coming!?

I feel like a cheerleader today!
Due with #2 2/14/16
Old 03-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #25
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Everyone is doing so well. Katie, you're a rockstar! I vote for painting and getting it over with. You're already in the zone, and you'll dread having to do it later. How nice will it be to just be done with it all?

I still need to do the paper clutter task, I wanted to do it yesterday but time got away from me. I know what I'm purging, though. Yesterday I went through my clothes and got rid of 3 shirts, and then did DD's closet and got rid of 18 things! Mostly clothes, but also a blanket and a few bibs. And for the "textiles," I got rid of 4 handmade pot holders/wash cloths that we got for Christmas, 2 cloth diapers that are worn out, and two big throw pillows from our old couch (we thought the dog wanted them for beds but once we actually gave them to her, she stopped laying on them, haha).

I'm going to purge and organize a bit this afternoon, so I will try to post a picture of the stuff we're getting rid of.

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #26
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, and thanks for the idea for next week! We did that twice so far (just in specific rooms) so I will continue with those. Mine need it as well. I took down the curtains in my kitchen and washed them, but haven't put them up yet because I need to clean the windows. Next week I want to do the bedroom windows upstairs!

2,014 items in 2014?
Old 03-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #27
ArronDalesMama
Registered Users

Thanks for encouragement!

Look at the pile!:

Attachment 136319
Due with #2 2/14/16

Last edited by ArronDalesMama; 04-16-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #28
neonalee
Registered Users
seller
seller

This thread is so inspiring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordbox View Post
Monday 3.4.13: Purge 5 "textile" items. Towels, rags, cloth wipes, linens, curtains, fabric, etc.
Found 3 old towels and a pair of lace curtains in a box that's been sitting on a shelf since we moved! Also found red satin sheets my mom gave me cuz she fell off the bed when she tried to use them All sitting in the donation bag now.

Tuesday 3.5.13: Purge 5 clothing items.
4 kitchen garbage bags last week (that was the start of my purging)! Also, finally brought 2 fancy dresses to work for our "prom donation" for poor teens. Tomorrow I'm bringing my wedding dress (from ex-DH, 12 yrs ago, divorced for 7 yrs now) to work in order to ship it to https://www.everygirlsdream.org

Wednesday 3.6.13: Purge 5 items of paper clutter.
I do this every other day with incoming mail. But even better - the keepsakes thread prompted me to find the box of memories from ex-DH. I dumped a stack of paper about an inch thick along with almost everything else in the box!

Thursday 3.7.13: Purge 5 things from a "pile" or messy area you have in your home (I can't be alone in having a few of these, right?).
(I was on a role yesterday) The entire corner of my bedroom is this pile. I opened one of the big totes and got rid of: 4 books that were duplicates, 2 old cell phones, also the box + accessories & user guide from 1 of those phones. Also put a few things from the 'to sell' part of the pile into the donation bag.

Friday 3.8.13: Your choice! Purge 5 items from a problem area. Focus on an area that you've been procrastinating on, that you pretend doesn't exist, that has gotten out of control, or that feels like it is too big for you to tackle because it overwhelms you. We can do it.

I Swagbucks
neonalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #29
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How'd everyone do today?

I started in on my kitchen and pantry today, but it was a very busy day and I wasn't home very much, so I'm hoping to devote more time to it tomorrow. I purged quite a bit already, though. It's a total mess in there now, argh!

2,014 items in 2014?
Old 03-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #30
ArronDalesMama
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordbox
How'd everyone do today?

I started in on my kitchen and pantry today, but it was a very busy day and I wasn't home very much, so I'm hoping to devote more time to it tomorrow. I purged quite a bit already, though. It's a total mess in there now, argh!
I've spent my whole day painting. And noticed under my stove was so gross. I've been throwing things here and there in a box. When it is all done I will figure out the numbers. Bonus task of cleaning the stove top will not get done this week. Boo. But at least the walls are fresh me clean now.
Due with #2 2/14/16