Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-03-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Upcycling men's dress shirts for baby?

In the last week my dh's elbow has went through 2 shirts!! I thought about just making them short sleeve for him, but he would rather I turn them into something for the baby.

So what is a good thing to make with up cycled men's dress shirts? I could just pretend it is yardage but I want to make sure little of it goes to waste.

Thank you for the help!

Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #2
RockinLou
Registered Users
seller

Re: Upcycling men's dress shirts for baby?

baby boy or girl? are you on Pinterest? there are a bazillion tutorials there, and there's a sticky somewhere here with upcycle ideas...

For DS I sometimes make pants out of the sleeves, for DD I make a dress out of the body of the shirt... I love to upcycle because usually I manage to get more detailing with less effort by making use of pre-finished seams and styling ;-)
RockinLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:29 PM   #3
kkleinman
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinLou View Post
baby boy or girl? are you on Pinterest? there are a bazillion tutorials there, and there's a sticky somewhere here with upcycle ideas...

For DS I sometimes make pants out of the sleeves, for DD I make a dress out of the body of the shirt... I love to upcycle because usually I manage to get more detailing with less effort by making use of pre-finished seams and styling ;-)
Go check out pinterest! You will find a ton of tutorials.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:58 AM   #4
gghmommy
Registered Users

A cousin in our family lost her dad unexpectedly soon before the birth of her first son (which they'd been TTC for 7 years). Her mom made a sweet baby quilt out of his dress shirts, some squares included the chest pocket- it was adorable and a precious memento.
gghmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:47 AM   #5
MakingHome
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With flannels you can make adorable bibs that look like handkerchiefs in a triangle shape like a little lumberjack. So precious!!

I aim to encourage Christian women at Making Home.
MakingHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:17 AM   #6
nana2peach
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would take the buttons and use it for the front bottoms of a romper. By this summer, your baby boy won't need long pants. You might even have enough left over to make Max a pair of shorts... or at least embellish a pair of shorts for him.
nana2peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:17 AM   #7
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DH doesn't have any flannel shirts. He really isn't much of an outdoorsman. He likes camping, but I think he would like it better in an RV if you know what I mean. We went camping last year and I was surprised by how much I know that he didn't know. And I am a city girl... who was raised in the mountains.

The shirts he has are cotton like what you might wear with a tie (DH doesn't wear ties to the office, but they are like that). I have an orange one, and a white one with blue and grey stripes/check on it.

I am having another boy.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #8
nana2peach
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post
My DH doesn't have any flannel shirts. He really isn't much of an outdoorsman. He likes camping, but I think he would like it better in an RV if you know what I mean. We went camping last year and I was surprised by how much I know that he didn't know. And I am a city girl... who was raised in the mountains.

The shirts he has are cotton like what you might wear with a tie (DH doesn't wear ties to the office, but they are like that). I have an orange one, and a white one with blue and grey stripes/check on it.

I am having another boy.
Are they polo type shirts or the ones that button all the way down the front?

I will try to find the romper I made my youngest nephew. That's the only one I know is still in existence... I had boatloads, but our house burnt in 2000 and I lost everything I had made over the years. I will try to post some pictures.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #9
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It is full button down.

Sorry to hear about your house.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #10
nana2peach
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I can't find where my sister has stored all the things she saved, which is very few things, only a few of the things I have made for her boys.
Anyway, I had a nb to 24 month pattern for a romper. The pattern did not call for a button down front. I folded the pattern front in half and eyeballed the center of the pattern to the middle of the buttons. I cut the back without buttons, but I had to fold the middle because it had a seam allowance. I did not need a seam allowance because the front unbuttoned.
I cut the sleeves in half along the stitching and cut the sleeves from the open sleeve. I wanted to save enough material for his brother an outfit, too.
I sewed it as the pattern said to ignoring that it had buttons. It has a snap crotch. I added a pocket to the front out of material I picked out to make big brother an outfit.

I made his big brother, then 2, a pair of shorts with the cuffs and outside pockets made out of daddy's shirt. I also made him a polo type shirt in the same material as the shorts, and added the same buttons, only 3, from the daddy shirt, and made the collar from the daddy shirt. They were adorable on.

I would use my boys' button up shirts to made my daughter's shirts. I would just add girlie stuff to the DD's new shirts. They never looked boyish.
I know how to do button holes, but why bother when someone else has already made them.

I hope all this makes sense. I will look for the baby romper again in a bit.