Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-06-2013, 07:53 AM   #1
MyM&W
Registered Users
Formerly: maddiesmommy0503
seller

My Mood:
Where can i buy seatbelt lock offs?

My almost 7yo is riding in a britax frontier. She's only 40-45lbs. Haven't weighed her recently. We drive a crysler town and country and the latch goes to 48lbs so we need to start using the seat belt. We can't use just the seat belt, it doesn't lock. So I'm assuming a lock off is needed? suggestions? Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 08:00 AM   #2
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Where can i buy seatbelt lock offs?

The term is locking clip. You should be able to get the pretty much anywhere that sells car seats. However if your car is new enough that it has LATCH, the belts should lock. Check your manual for the car or look one up online. It'll tell you how to lock the belts for car seat installation.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:04 AM   #3
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Where can i buy seatbelt lock offs?

What do you mean by the seat belt won't lock? Chrysler likes to use locking latch plates on some of their belts so that is why it may seem like it doesn't lock. Buckle the belt and pull on the lap portion. It should be locked in to place by the latch plate.

Lock offs are built in to car seats. The Frontier does not have them. Most seats that do not have lock offs come with a locking clip. I don't advise using a locking clip unless it's absolutely necessary because it's one more place to make an mistake. The Frontier best installs with a seat belt using the long belt path: . It looks intimidating but it's not hard once you get the hang of it.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:09 AM   #4
MyM&W
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ok thanks. Hmm we can't get the seat belt to hold the seat in. It doesnt have the ratcheting seat belts and it doesn't have a solid hold on the lap belt part. It always loosens when we wiggle it. :-/
I'm so used to Chevy vehicles lol. We've tried everything. We just can't get a good instal with the frontier. The marathon we have goes in great because it has the built ins on it.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:23 AM   #5
MyM&W
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I will try that. Thanks. When I buckle the pull on the lap part it loosens a bit..
Old 03-06-2013, 08:24 AM   #6
jmnanny
Registered Users
seller

I recommend going to see a CPST, if your car has latch it's seatbelts lock since all cars after 1996 have to have a mechanism to lock the seatbelt, find your car manual and find the child restraint section and it will explain further
Old 03-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #7
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
You most likely have locking latch plates. If the lap portion is loosening, it may be that the buckle is hitting the car seat at the wrong angle and not locking. To fix this, try flipping the latch plate once or try twisting the buckle stalk up to three twists. This will help the latch plate stay locked.