Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #21
2queens&1princenmyhouse's Avatar
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MO
Posts: 4,560
My Mood:
Re: HS Check In March 4-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
When the older two started getting more independent, we had a time they had to have it finished by if they wanted electronic time. This year we haven't had to do that, but I let them know that we would put it back into effect if we needed to.
I think we are leaning toward something like this. My sticking point is that some of their work is on the computer, so they start out doing the work and then it morphs into Netflix.

What I told DD2 today was that we will assign a reasonable amount of time for each subject to be completed (ie. spelling 30 minutes, math an hour) and I'll come to check her work at that point. If it's not done, she puts it away and it becomes homework that needs to be completed at the end of the day and nothing extra will happen until that work is done (no electronics, soccer practice, etc.)

I just find it frustrating b/c if she applies herself it only takes about 2 1/2 hours to do everything, yet she chooses to make it last 8 hours.

Advertisement

__________________
Kristin, wife to Dan (16 years) , mom to Abby (14)
Emma (12) and Owen (7)
I cd my daycare kids! That's why I still hang out here!
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #22
Britches~in~Stitches's Avatar
Britches~in~Stitches
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: WA
Posts: 734
My Mood:
Re: HS Check In March 4-19

Happy birthday Jen! We et most of our work done in the afternoons only because the littles are napping then. It gets done faster and with fewer distractions.

This week can only get better...everyone was sick this weekend so we missed RCIA and mass. Since then everyone has been irritable. Dd has done math both yesterday, and today, but her attitude has been in the dumps. I made her take a nap today,and then dh and dd2 are both sick...again.

I'm exhausted, but it can only get better, right? We have dance tomorrow, and it will be halfway, gloriously halfway through the week.
Britches~in~Stitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:23 AM   #23
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 13,468
Re: HS Check In March 4-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2queens&1princenmyhouse View Post
I think we are leaning toward something like this. My sticking point is that some of their work is on the computer, so they start out doing the work and then it morphs into Netflix.

What I told DD2 today was that we will assign a reasonable amount of time for each subject to be completed (ie. spelling 30 minutes, math an hour) and I'll come to check her work at that point. If it's not done, she puts it away and it becomes homework that needs to be completed at the end of the day and nothing extra will happen until that work is done (no electronics, soccer practice, etc.)

I just find it frustrating b/c if she applies herself it only takes about 2 1/2 hours to do everything, yet she chooses to make it last 8 hours.
My oldest was like that pretty consistently for 3 years. One year she missed out on a ton of activities because she didn't have her work finished. This year we haven't had that issue. It's as if she has finally figured out that she has to actually do the work. As this is her 8th year being homeschooled, you'd think she'd have figured this out earlier.


Anyway, AFU, we are headed to bowling in a few minutes, followed by a quick stop at the store, then home for schoolwork before church tonight.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:46 AM   #24
2queens&1princenmyhouse's Avatar
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MO
Posts: 4,560
My Mood:
Re: HS Check In March 4-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
My oldest was like that pretty consistently for 3 years. One year she missed out on a ton of activities because she didn't have her work finished. This year we haven't had that issue. It's as if she has finally figured out that she has to actually do the work. As this is her 8th year being homeschooled, you'd think she'd have figured this out earlier.


Anyway, AFU, we are headed to bowling in a few minutes, followed by a quick stop at the store, then home for schoolwork before church tonight.
Great! Since this is our first year, I have another 7 years to look forward to. At least her senior year will be good!

AFU: I'm taking everyone to gymnastics at the library. We'll leave for there at 10. I'm hoping to have at least half our work done before we go.
__________________
Kristin, wife to Dan (16 years) , mom to Abby (14)
Emma (12) and Owen (7)
I cd my daycare kids! That's why I still hang out here!
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:07 AM   #25
7mom7
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 615
Re: HS Check In March 4-19

Y'all are so much more productive than me! All I've done today is grab a cup of coffee and talk to my sister and mom on the phone. We've got piano lessons today and a field trip with our HS group tomorrow...I better go get something accomplished!
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:11 AM   #26
7mom7
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 615
Re: HS Check In March 4-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britches~in~Stitches View Post
Happy birthday Jen! We et most of our work done in the afternoons only because the littles are napping then. It gets done faster and with fewer distractions.

This week can only get better...everyone was sick this weekend so we missed RCIA and mass. Since then everyone has been irritable. Dd has done math both yesterday, and today, but her attitude has been in the dumps. I made her take a nap today,and then dh and dd2 are both sick...again.

I'm exhausted, but it can only get better, right? We have dance tomorrow, and it will be halfway, gloriously halfway through the week.
I'm feeling for you...we never seem to get sick. I think it had been years since something swept through our house. We pretty much took 1 week off for the illness and 1 week to break the TV habit that I created for them! DS was SO whiny which is one of my biggest pet peeves.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #27
Mysweetseven
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,708
My Mood:
Re: HS Check In March 4-19

Our homeschool visit with our supervising teacher went great yesterday. I was really concerned this month, we meet every other month face to face and have a phone visit on opposite months. We have had so much illness this last month (we usually don't get hit that hard either), state testing and 3 boys with state wrestling on 3 consecutive weeks so we are out of rhythm. But it went well, she loved the kids lapbooks they did for Presidents Day and DS's work that he did for the FIAR Lentil Row. I really needed those positive comments from her on the FIAR, sometimes it is just sooooo muchhhhh workkkkkk (KWIM). DS read for her for a bit and she thinks he is fine, it's just me that is worrying to much, she agrees that he is probably behind but like she said, not all kids like to read (more so boys), give it time and be consistent and it will come. Everyting else she was fine with as well. (Happy dance)

Has anyone started planning for next year?? Is anyone schooling through the summer? We are planning on going through the summer but I wonder how do you work in your planning?? I was thinking of taking 2 weeks off to get next years (or at least the semester) off and just giving the kids some independent study packs to work on during that time???? I"m undecided....would love to hear what others do.
Mysweetseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #28
7mom7
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 615
Re: HS Check In March 4-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysweetseven View Post
Our homeschool visit with our supervising teacher went great yesterday. I was really concerned this month, we meet every other month face to face and have a phone visit on opposite months. We have had so much illness this last month (we usually don't get hit that hard either), state testing and 3 boys with state wrestling on 3 consecutive weeks so we are out of rhythm. But it went well, she loved the kids lapbooks they did for Presidents Day and DS's work that he did for the FIAR Lentil Row. I really needed those positive comments from her on the FIAR, sometimes it is just sooooo muchhhhh workkkkkk (KWIM). DS read for her for a bit and she thinks he is fine, it's just me that is worrying to much, she agrees that he is probably behind but like she said, not all kids like to read (more so boys), give it time and be consistent and it will come. Everyting else she was fine with as well. (Happy dance)

Has anyone started planning for next year?? Is anyone schooling through the summer? We are planning on going through the summer but I wonder how do you work in your planning?? I was thinking of taking 2 weeks off to get next years (or at least the semester) off and just giving the kids some independent study packs to work on during that time???? I"m undecided....would love to hear what others do.
Great news about the visit! Yes on schooling through summer, no on planning. I don't plan, ever I only buy curriculum that requires zero planning.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:01 PM   #29
Mysweetseven
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,708
My Mood:
Re: HS Check In March 4-19

Can I ask what you use?
Mysweetseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:16 PM   #30
7mom7
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 615
Re: HS Check In March 4-19

Hooked on Phonics for Reading
Singapore Math
Classical Conversations
Handwriting Without Tears
and a boat load of library books!

-I don't follow the Ambleside Online or Simply Charlotte Mason curriculum but I do try to read several of the books on the list. There's no rhyme or reason to it I just choose a few each week to check out from the library.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.