Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #31
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: HS Check In March 4-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysweetseven View Post
Has anyone started planning for next year?? Is anyone schooling through the summer? We are planning on going through the summer but I wonder how do you work in your planning?? I was thinking of taking 2 weeks off to get next years (or at least the semester) off and just giving the kids some independent study packs to work on during that time???? I"m undecided....would love to hear what others do.
We are going to do something over the summer, but I haven't figured out what. And I don't plan unless something isn't working as well as I feel it should be. We finish something and move onto the next. We are not unschoolers, but we are very much go with the flow schoolers. We don't usually go a spring break, but we will this year, because ODD and I are going on a mission trip. DH deploys in the next couple of months, and we don't know for sure how long he'll be gone, plus we might do some traveling this summer. We have our garden going in soon (first year having one) and that'll be a lot of work. So, we'll break when we need to, and just keep going.

Advertisement

tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #32
lyn1270
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

today was a lazy day. DS2 & DS3 pretty much did nothing but run around playing and screaming and being little boys (they are 3 & 5). DS1 actually did all of his schoolwork today! and didn't complain. It's the 3rd day in a row he's done that. I think aliens have taken away my grumpy boy....and they can keep him we did do our CC work today. I'm not hard core about it, but I try to at least review it 3 times/week. I make DS1 do more of the review than the littles. As they get older, I'll do more w/them too.

as for next yr....I pretty much know what we are doing. I'll research it later in April, drive myself insane w/choices, and then end up doing what we always do I do know that we will be doing Classical Conversations, Mammoth Math, Rod & Staff for Reading/Phonics, and then whatever reading curriculum I decide on for DS2 who will be a beginning reader in the fall. ugggh....I did Progressive Phonics w/DS1 and loved it, but I don't know if that's the way to go w/DS2. He likes Reading Eggs, so we've been doing that. But I may try 100 Easy Lesson w/him. I tried it w/DS1 and it was an epic failure. He was bored to death. but DS2 is a different beast. we'll see....still tons of time and tons of praying ahead of me

and i don't plan much as I do like 7mom7 and get things that don't require much planning on my part. and we will school in june, but prob take off most of july except for CC and the tons and tons and tons of library books.
lyn1270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #33
7mom7
Registered Users

Lyn1270 how do y'all do CC over the summer? Just review?
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:31 PM   #34
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Today was a little better. We are getting all of our work done, it just seems like there is a ton of drama required to make it happen.

We need to decide what to do about next year. :sigh: I'm almost positive that it would be in DD2's and DS's best interests to keep them at home. DD1, hmmm, she's the wild card. She was having such a tough time emotionally at school, she was the original reason we began exploring hsing in the first place. But, now that's she's home, she's miserable. I know that part of it is her age and that nothing will satisfy her, but at the same time, I can't help but wonder if going back would be better. I'm soooo on the fence. We really need to pray on that one. Then there's the certain grief that will follow if DD1 goes back, but not DD2 (from DD2, she'll definitely be jealous). I just don't know.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:09 AM   #35
Mysweetseven
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Kristin,
I can completely relate to what you are thinking. When we started to HS the kids after DD's 3rd grade year, in part a large reason was the drama in her particular class. The following year we started to HS the kids then 6th, 4th and 1st. DS went back to PS after 1 year, he switched schools and he LOVES it now. He hadn't been particularly happy with his class either. DD has met alot of girls at my sons new school and wants to go back next year as well, she will be in 7th grade. DH thinks she should go too. She is doing great at home and I worry about how things can change when she will go back. So far DS that is currently in 3rd grade has no want to go to PS, but I wonder if that will change. ??? It's such a difficult decision, and all we want is to do what is best for our kids. HUGS.
Mysweetseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:09 AM   #36
Mysweetseven
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Kristin,
I can completely relate to what you are thinking. When we started to HS the kids after DD's 3rd grade year, in part a large reason was the drama in her particular class. The following year we started to HS the kids then 6th, 4th and 1st. DS went back to PS after 1 year, he switched schools and he LOVES it now. He hadn't been particularly happy with his class either. DD has met alot of girls at my sons new school and wants to go back next year as well, she will be in 7th grade. DH thinks she should go too. She is doing great at home and I worry about how things can change when she will go back. So far DS that is currently in 3rd grade has no want to go to PS, but I wonder if that will change. ??? It's such a difficult decision, and all we want is to do what is best for our kids. HUGS.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:42 AM   #37
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

We have already decided what we're doing next year, and I ordered it last month because it was on sale. MFW 2nd grade. I don't know that we'll start it right at fall, because at the rate we're going we'll still have some first grade stuff to finish up.

As far as summer, we will take a break, probably about two months. We will do lots of gardening during that time, and I'm planning to try to have them read to me a bit each day just so they can practice some.

Yesterday was horrible some I'm glad it was quick. Keegan was having an off day in reading, so that makes everything worse. But it was gymnastics and church day, so it was okay in the end.

Kennah got sick in the night and has thrown up once already this morning. I think our plan is to try to finish up a couple things we skipped yesterday and that will be about all. Hopefully catch up on laundry and not have to clean up too much vomit. :/
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:45 AM   #38
Mysweetseven
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Jen~Hope everyone is feeling better soon
Old 03-07-2013, 09:09 AM   #39
jacandy
Registered Users
seller

I'm losing My patience today and second guessing why I even chose to homeschool. I also am wondering if I am teaching him enough. I felt like he was learning a lot more in school.

http://www.iheartfrugality.com
jacandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:11 AM   #40
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacandy
I'm losing My patience today and second guessing why I even chose to homeschool. I also am wondering if I am teaching him enough. I felt like he was learning a lot more in school.
You and me both. I think I'm giving up and having a house cleaning day
Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote