Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-11-2013, 12:23 PM   #61
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: HS Check In March 4-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
Four out of five of us spent the weekend sick. We all seem to be feeling better today but we're taking the day to recuperate. We were actually supposed to be off the next three days visiting family, but we don't want to spread our stomach bug.
You've been having a tough time with sickness lately. Hope it gets better! I almost hate to put it in print, but we've been pretty lucky. A got a stomach thing from my sis at Christmas and E & O had something similar about a month ago. It lasted about 12 hours and left. O has had tonsilitis twice, so we're watching that, but that is it all season. It seems like some have had no relief.

AFU, yesterday we did little to nothing except go to Mass at 5 pm. Most of us didn't even get up until after noon (except DH who had to be at work at 10). That meant we didn't get groceries yesterday. Today we headed out and picked up scrip, dropped a deposit off at the bank and went to 2 grocery stores. The girls did spelling before lunch and we'll see how the rest of the day goes. I am so tempted to tell them that if they do everything without complaining this week that we'll start spring break a week early and take 2 weeks instead of 1 week. That will throw off my goal of being completely done by mid-May. Must. be. strong!!

Advertisement

2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #62
lyn1270
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2queens&1princenmyhouse View Post
Is the lapbook part of the Bible curric or something you made up? I think that sounds fun.

I'm so glad that Phonics didn't kill your DS! I'm so terrible that when my kids say they are going to die doing something, I respond with, "Hmmm, that's a chance I'm willing to take!"
i got the lapbook from a free lapbook site. if you google free lapbooks it shows up

i'll have to steal that...hehehe...cause i'm willing to risk it too

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
We let our kids know we'll give them a nice funeral. lol

AFU, school was mostly accomplished. Did nothing with Natalie today, partly because she was annoying me and I didn't want to.

thx for the condolences and i have been there with Annoying Kid. I have actually my kids to go somewhere I couldn't see them because they were annoying me so bad. Particularly my oldest & my youngest.....they are Drama Kings...smh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
Four out of five of us spent the weekend sick. We all seem to be feeling better today but we're taking the day to recuperate. We were actually supposed to be off the next three days visiting family, but we don't want to spread our stomach bug.
feel better soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mom7 View Post
Jen, hope you all make a quick recovery!

AFU: I doubt we'll do much school work this week. DH is off all week so we'll probably just have lots of family fun time. I do need to get some reading lessons in but otherwise I'm hoping for a relaxed week!
have a fun week!!

AFU: another great day w/the kids! i honestly don't know what is wrong w/them. they've been relatively cooperative for a couple of weeks. I'm waiting for the other shoe LOL. now it's raining and i stuck in madagascar for the kidlets
lyn1270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:53 PM   #63
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Very slow moving today. Aiden did his work already, Autumn is working on hers, but I haven't done anything with Natalie yet. I have bread in the oven right now and I was going to plant potatoes this afternoon, but I have no motivation to do so. When the bread is done Ill go out and plant because they can't sit in my dining room forever.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:26 AM   #64
Mysweetseven
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Lots to do today. We have a potluck banquet tonight, packages to be mailed, I need to stop and refill my greeting cards at the beauty shop, continue packing and downsizing....and lets not even talk about the laundry. YIKES!!

The kids will be doing alot of independent study today.

I found this if anyone is looking for anything to do for St Patricks Day, I haven't looked over it yet, but wanted to share:
http://www.schoolexpress.com/email/newsletterng5h8.html
Mysweetseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #65
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Kids will be doing school. Aiden is getting started on his new botany book. He's actually done the first lesson, but today we do our first hands-on bit. I didn't do anything with Natalie yesterday, so I need to make sure I do that today. Aside from that, decently busy around here. I desperately need to vacuum, so I'm going to do that here in a few minutes, I need to do the checkbook and budget for this second half of the month, need to make a shopping list, and several other smaller things around the house. Tomorrow we'll be gone for a good portion of the day, Thursday will be grocery shopping (and possibly other shopping), and Friday I need to make sure all the laundry is done and Autumn and I are packed for our trip.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:24 PM   #66
R055ANA
Registered Users

Hello there wonderful homeschooling families!

Tallanvor, I hope you got your planting done and that it was a pleasant experience. Have fun you and Autumn are going on a trip. Hope you have a great time!

Mysweetseven, you really have lots to do. Were you able to get a lot accomplished? Try not to overwhelm yourself.

lyn1270, I am glad things are going so well. Enjoy it while it lasts and think back to these days when things get tough.

Things here are OK. My YDD is not well. She has been vomiting since last night but I know she will get better soon.

We had a couple fun filled days. Sunday we went to the art museum w/ some friends. We go there about once a month for their family programs. The art museum did another great program where the children did take home crafts and they also got to see a musical performance.

Yesterday we went to our wonderful literature circle. I have said this before and here I will say it again. The woman who hosts the circle is AMAZING!! We get to her house and she has a lovely table set w/ fine china and lots of food to eat (including shrimp! and 3 different types of hummus). They are discussing a book called A View From Saturday and in the book the characters get together for tea so she did that for our group. Today I find out my 11yr old thinks Johnny Tremain is the best book she has read so far w/ the group. This is wonderful news to me because initially she didn't want to read that book, thought it was boring and only listened to it on audio book because the group was reading it. I am thrilled to know that the literature circle exposed her and got her to enjoy a book she would otherwise never have experienced. And to think the literature circle is completely free!!

This afternoon and evening I will be out of the house for educator programs. I am going to a educator program on Harlem culture which is in conjunction w/ a dance performance I will be taking my girls to later in the spring. Afterward I am going to a talk on the topic of migrating wives. Tomorrow I have my East Asia program and we were separated into smaller groups to read and present teaching ideas to the class about historical novels. My book is A Single Shard. This is a book I enjoyed reading and will try to encourage the others in my program to read it w/ their classrooms. Even though I go to these program w/o my children I see it as a great benefit to them because what I learn in these programs I try to pass onto my own children and others in the homeschooling community.

It is raining here so I am sure my girls will spend the afternoon listening to audio books, drawing, reading and playing. My oldest is asking to get on the computer to use a math site.

Looking forward to hearing more from each of you.
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #67
lyn1270
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

another great day! My oldest is doing so much better w/his attitude PTL!! I have been spending more time w/him during school time, so maybe that is what is helping. And I am LOVING reading eggs....just loving! I can see how much confidence DS2 is getting from it. Getting ready to order my math curriculum for the upcoming yr. I bought it last yr, but I sold my computer and forgot to download it off of there and there was no way to get it back grrrrrrrrrr. Sooooo....now I have to buy it all again...sigh...good thing it's not too expensive. and homeschoolbuyerscoop is having a sale on it so woot!! oh, and it's Mammoth Math for those interested. I have to order our other stuff too, but it's not that expensive and I can wait til next month (Rod and Staff, Language Lessons). and then I'll have to buy CC stuff, but I'll get that in May at the practicum.

now it's off to cook supper
lyn1270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #68
babysniffles
Registered Users

Today my DD has practiced the piano, and done a huge pile of math review sheets, so my DH can see how she is doing. I know she is fine, but he wants to have written evidence to put in her binder. We have homeschool PE this afternoon at the rec center (and I am looking forward to seeing all of MY homeschooling mom friends), and DD has piano lessons this afternoon too.
I really ought to sit down with DS1 and work on reading with him, but he always fights me on it. I keep intending to ask DH to take over in the evenings after work, because DS1 will read with him quite nicely, but I can never remember.
We are on track with everything but science (waaaaaay behind in science), which is amazing since we took February almost completely off, for me to recover from having the baby.
I have already picked out curriculum for next year, though I haven't purchased yet. I am kind of waiting to see if we hear from the charter school we entered the lottery for.
babysniffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #69
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Girls had bowling this morning. Autumn is definitely improving. Natalie isn't really, but that's because the ball is heavy. The 5-7 yr olds all bowl about the same due to the weight of the ball. We stopped for lunch on the way home and now they are working on schoolwork.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:19 PM   #70
Mysweetseven
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I made an executive decision today to take an impromptu spring break. I've been so stressed trying to get our house ready to sell, DS's graduation, school work, running back and to my other boys in PS's schools. DS (14) in in Jr High in one school about 20 miles away, yesterday I made 3 trips to his school (early practice, pick up after school and sports banquet). I've also been dropping off and picking up DS (18) at his school because his car died around Christmas and won't have the money together for his next one until the end of the month.......I need a break just to get the house under control, decluttered and packed up. I can't seem to concentrate on one thing at a time....my mind is on overload. LOL

We will still do Math and Reading everyday as we are a bit behind from being gone almost a week and state tournament last month.

With that being said, I'm posting a thread for some advice on a kindergarten curriculum, if any of you have any great recommendations please jump over and let me know.

Have a great day everyone.
Mysweetseven is offline   Reply With Quote