Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-27-2013, 12:27 PM   #1
kristenjoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Need some advice

Hi - I've come here to hopefully get some advice on some homeschooling situations I have. I have a 6 year old son and a 2 year old son. I have attempted to homeschool my older son this year with some success. I haven't had as good of a schedule in place as I would like as well as not being able to get him to do his school work sometimes. Even though I haven't gotten as far as I would have liked by now with him, I don't feel like he is behind, just "average". I would like to keep homeschooling him and do a better job of it. I've looked into classical conversations and I'd really like to do that. I've also looked into a couple of a la carte classes covering reading/grammar/spelling & math, which would go the other 4 days of the week, however, I'm not sure I'm ready to commit to that, since I would be driving into town (about 10 miles each way) every day of the week then. I really like the flexibility of being able to do other things and do school when we want to, so I really don't want to do it, but I guess I'm just thinking of it because I'm not confident enough in teaching him myself (basically, the hardest thing for me is getting in there and actually doing it, I really think I'm a pretty good "teacher" when I'm in the thick of it). So my main thing I need advice on is a new "problem" I have come up with. I have a friend who has 3 boys, ages 5 (just turned 5!) and 3 year old twins (who will turn 4 in August) and she has another boy on the way, due in September. I know she is already enrolled her twins in a preschool that her oldest is currently going to and next year she had been planning on enrolling her oldest at the public school in a nearby town, but the opposite direction as the preschool she will be taking the twins to. I'm pretty sure she will have about 45 miles one way just to drop off all her kids on the days they will have preschool (three days a week). I know she doesn't have any problem with driving all the time like I do, but I know she is low on funds and would like to save on gas any way she can, I also imagine it will be a lot of work to get out of the house on time with that many kids! She recently mentioned that she isn't really wanting to put him in public school now and even said that she would homeschool him if she didn't have to work (yes, she works from home, telecommuting/online job, 30+ hours a week, and quite a few of those hours late at night!) I haven't mentioned anything to her or anyone else for that matter yet, but I'm thinking of offering to homeschool her oldest son. Our boys get along fine and I'm thinking it may be a good way of pushing me to get in the school room and actually teach my boy and make it more fun for him too! I know if I end up deciding to even suggest it to her I would want to do a "trial run" sometime soon to help her make up her mind. I'm guessing we would only be doing school the three days a week when she takes her twins to preschool and being that she drives right by my house, it wouldn't be that hard to drop him off. I've also thought if I do this, I would probably need to find somewhere to go with my younger son (he will be 3 in September). I wouldn't mind enrolling him in the same preschool as my friends twins if there is still openings, but since he turns 3 Sept. 21st, I'm guessing he will get put in a 2 year old class and I don't know what to think of that since I want to start him in Kindergarden (homeschooling him) before he turns 5 (with the Sept. 1st cutoff the state/public schools here have). But anyway, it's obviously a lot to think on. I guess for now I just need to push forward with teaching my oldest and hopefully I will find some clarity on the rest of the issue(s) soon!

Advertisement

Old 03-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
R055ANA
Registered Users

Re: Need some advice

Hi there Kristen!

First off congrats to you for doing everything you are doing. Homeschooling your 6 yr old, taking care of your 2 yr old and managing stuff in the house as well. Don't beat yourself up for what you aren't doing. Pat yourself on the back for everything you are doing. Keep in mind brick and mortar school teachers also don't cover as much as they intend and are upset w/ themselves for not doing more.

As far as homeschooling your friend's child. I guess it depends on your state laws. Many states don't have you report anything until the child turns 8 yrs old and other states prohibit your homeschooling another child. Maybe someone who lives in TX can chime in w/ that info.

If it allowed in your area to do this I would ask yourself what it is you want out of homeschooling your son and if that matches w/ what your friend wants her son to do. Some families may think he (your friend's child), is so young and they want a play based unstructured learning environment. Others may want a comprehensive structured school at home program.

I don't understand about your 3 yr old having to go somewhere if you do this. Is it because you think 3 children in your house will be too much or because the difference in ages?

I don't have children coming to my house on a regular basis that I teach but I do a story time for a few homeschooled kids on a weekly basis. I do find that doing this benefits my whole family. My younger daughters get to listen to stories that we own that I just haven't gotten around to reading and I am more likely to try to be animated and fun because there are other children there besides my own. For my family it wouldn't work out well to have other children here 3 times a wk but I know it can work for other families.

Best wishes w/ this and feel free to ask more questions!
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #3
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am in TX and the laws are very relaxed here. You would have several options. In TX some homeschooling families choose to set themselves up as private schools even if they are only homeschooling their own children. I don't remember why that was a preference, it has been many years since I looked into it. If you choose to do this private schools in TX do not need to be accredited so the teachers do not have to be licensed (my MIL works at a school that was not accredited until a few years ago). These schools do not accept money from the state, and do not have to do testing or reporting. Another option would be for your friends son to use an online charter school in your home and you could be like his tutor if anyone asks. Honestly I think if anyone does ask you can always tell them that you are providing tutoring or in home day care during the hours his mother needs to work and leave it at that. In TX you do not need to report what your child is doing in school so no one needs to know that you are providing his lessons instead of his parents. You could look into the laws more at HSLDA.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:02 AM   #4
kristenjoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for y'alls input. Some things I didn't even think about! I know kindergarden is not required here in TX and I'm taking things year by year right now even though I really want to do this. I'd like to think I could find things to keep my 3 year old busy while we do school, but I just don't want it to get in the way too much. I know we will take plenty of breaks, so we would probably be able to include him in those things. I love teaching my 3 year old and I know my older son is good at teaching him things too, so I'm sure we could gear everything to each individual kid and have them all learning something! I guess I just need to bring it up to my friend and let her bring him over on the days he isn't at school and see how he does here, if she is interested. I wouldn't be charging her anything and would completely understand if she decides at anytime to do something else. I would hope she wouldn't be too worried if it wasn't working out that it might hurt my feelings or something. I want her to do what is best for her kids and her family, just like I want the best for mine!