Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-05-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:
Struggling with ADHD

DS has been pretty stable in the past with his ADHD, but was starting to struggle a lot with impulses especially at school. Well we decided to try concerta. It has made him so angry that I was afraid he might hurt himself. He would hit, bite, he even smacked me. This is totally not normal behavior for him, he has never been mad like this. After he gets so worked up he cries and says hes scared of his body not listening to him. And he'll talk about that he's sad he hurt me. I actually even kept him home yesterday because I was just too worried about him being at school. So after a week on the concerta we DCed it.
I just don't know what to do. How long will it take to get out of his system? I know that sometimes you have to try a few meds before getting the right one but this is so hard. I feel like my son isn't himself anymore. I called psychology to get an appointment, and I'm waiting for his developmental ped to call back to let me know how long this will take to get out of his system and what else we can do. I don't feel like I can send him to school like this.

Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Struggling with ADHD

i have it. and 5htp worked great. i took mine with vit c and a bit of vit b in it. there are also a ton of great herbal mixes at the shops I see here. look into them
Old 03-06-2013, 09:11 AM   #3
7mom7
Registered Users

I took a med in college for ADD that made me so crazy. Our doctor has suggested that DS has it but so far we are managing with diet and limited electronics and TV. They make him so hyper. We've tried a couple of homeopathic options but honestly TV and diet made the biggest difference. Having a routine is really important to DS as well. I know homeschool isn't an option for everyone but he was constantly in trouble in preschool. He seems to feed off of other kids energy and it makes him so out of control- he's been better since we pulled him out. He needs lots of outside time. Sometimes I think he's outside more than he's inside! We have a family full of ADHD people and I really believe it's a gift! A few of us have taken meds over the years but everyone has gone off of them because it changed who we are. My dad wasn't even fit to drive a car with one of the meds they had him on. It was pretty crazy.

I'd maybe do some green juice in the mean time to help him detox. Tons of fruits and veggies, no sugar, gluten, or dairy.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #4
Momma2theJs
Registered Users
seller

Let me encourage you here! My son has ADHD and Sensory Integration Disorder. I was VERY hesitant to put him on anything, even though it was being "highly recommended" to us since preschool. I finally gave in at the end of first grade when he was CONSTANTLY in trouble. The first one we tried was Concerta and, like your son, it was TERRIBLE. He cried or was very angry all the time and was on such emotional extremes that we stopped it after only 4 days. Next. we tried Tenex. It helped a lot in some ways, but it made him very emotional also and VERY tired. He would fall asleep ALL the time, so we stopped it.

I wanted something that HELPED my son to function as the child he already was, personality intact.

Next, we tried Focalin. The change was magical. MY child reemerged from the impulses he was formerly unable to control. NO emotional side effects, no drowsiness, no crazy outbursts. He is doing fantastic at school and at home now. He's on 5 mg, 3 times a day:7:30 am, 11 am, and 3 pm (It wears off and is eliminating from his system very quickly; in about 3 hours.) He gets through school, homework, and then it wears off. He's also learning better self control after it wears off, which is something I feel very strongly about bc I feel the medication should be a temporary solution, but the real "change" and "control" will have to be learned by him.

All in all, hang in there. You'll find what works and you'll get your baby back.
Momma2theJs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #5
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2theJs View Post
Let me encourage you here! My son has ADHD and Sensory Integration Disorder. I was VERY hesitant to put him on anything, even though it was being "highly recommended" to us since preschool. I finally gave in at the end of first grade when he was CONSTANTLY in trouble. The first one we tried was Concerta and, like your son, it was TERRIBLE. He cried or was very angry all the time and was on such emotional extremes that we stopped it after only 4 days. Next. we tried Tenex. It helped a lot in some ways, but it made him very emotional also and VERY tired. He would fall asleep ALL the time, so we stopped it.

I wanted something that HELPED my son to function as the child he already was, personality intact.

Next, we tried Focalin. The change was magical. MY child reemerged from the impulses he was formerly unable to control. NO emotional side effects, no drowsiness, no crazy outbursts. He is doing fantastic at school and at home now. He's on 5 mg, 3 times a day:7:30 am, 11 am, and 3 pm (It wears off and is eliminating from his system very quickly; in about 3 hours.) He gets through school, homework, and then it wears off. He's also learning better self control after it wears off, which is something I feel very strongly about bc I feel the medication should be a temporary solution, but the real "change" and "control" will have to be learned by him.

All in all, hang in there. You'll find what works and you'll get your baby back.
Thank you so much. I know that it can take time to figure out what works. Its just so hard in the meantime. I feel better after talking to his school nurse today and hearing her say that they knew the medication wasn't working because he just wasn't himself.
I also called to make an appointment with his psychologist so maybe he can help us with techniques to deal with his behaviour.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:02 PM   #6
Texasmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

I dont recommend anyone taking those meds for just that reason. my daughter has ADD and I just watch what she eats and that seems to help her a lot we do have bad days here and there but I just deal with it.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #7
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With the stimulant drugs, I have been told (by DS1's evaluating psychologist) that there are two main classes: Concerta (methyphenidate) and Adderall (amphetamine and dextroamphetamine). You can put the others Ritalin, Focalin, Vyvanse, etc. into one category or the other. Folks who do well in one category tend to not do well in the other.

In your son's case, I would try something from the Adderall (amphetamine and dextroamphetamine) side since Concerta clearly isn't the right medication for him. Adderall or Vyvanse.

We completely lucked out and had success with the first drug we tried. If we ever feel we need to change medication we will only do other medicine that falls into the same category.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:25 AM   #8
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks. Yesterday was a bad day. The developmental ped wanted us to try 1/4 of the original dose. A few hours after taking it he was having the same no control effect, his emotions were out of control, just crazy. So we are done with that. I called her to tell her but haven't heard back. We do have an appointment with his psychologist tomorrow and I got a referral to a new dev ped, I think the one we have been seeing just isn't a good fit for us.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:06 AM   #9
7mom7
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2wyatt View Post
Thanks. Yesterday was a bad day. The developmental ped wanted us to try 1/4 of the original dose. A few hours after taking it he was having the same no control effect, his emotions were out of control, just crazy. So we are done with that. I called her to tell her but haven't heard back. We do have an appointment with his psychologist tomorrow and I got a referral to a new dev ped, I think the one we have been seeing just isn't a good fit for us.
It's so hard finding the right doctor but I'm glad to hear you're seeking another opinion.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #10
RJ6Mommy
Registered Users
seller

My son tried lots of meds for his ADHD. Concerta and Adderall and a few others made him have mood problems they diagnosed him with a mood disorder and started medication for it. after 5 years of being medicated for both he was always being switched on meds because nothing worked. We got lucky with one doctor who said he did not have a mood disorder it was the stimulants effecting his moods. The best med after six years of trying everything was a newer med called Intuniv it works as a non stimulant and is one time a day. It is also works great with kids who are high functioning autism when stimulants do not.
Erin married to Justin since 3/2/02 , EBF, CDing, BWing, vaxing, SAHM to 7 Kids, 6 on earth and 1 in heaven. Ruben James 9/10/99 , Robert Justin 10/5/02 , Rebecca Joy 12/5/03 , Raychel Jolee 3/30/05 , **Russell Jack RIP 12/14/06**, Rylan Josiah 7/3/08 , Ramsee Jayce 4/24/11
RJ6Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote