Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #1
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thrifty Mattress?

Dh and I bought a clearance sealy mattress less than 2 years ago and its already breaking down. it was only $500 but I was hoping it would last awhile.

So we are bed shopping. A $2400 sleep number bed is out of our price range. dh wants a water bed but I don't think that will work for me. I just stumbled over the dreamfoam beds on amazon and am intrigued. "Natural materials" and made in the US, for $6-700. And the reviews are excellent.

Anyone have one? Or have another thrifty idea? Spending $500 every other year is not thrifty, so I would like to get something that will last for awhile. But we also don't have more than about $1000 to spend right now. Sigh.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re...ords=Dreamfoam

Advertisement

misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
tokidokikashikoi
Registered Users
seller

Re: Thrifty Mattress?

I got a king size mattress on Amazon for $400 (and paid $5 to have it overnighted with Prime) last fall and I love it! It's an innerspring pillow top and it's not very tall (top mattress only) but it's held up surprisingly well so far. Trust the amazon reviews!
tokidokikashikoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #3
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If it's only two years old, it would still be under warranty (unless you put it on an old box spring or something that would void the warranty). What's it doing?
Old 03-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fancy Pansy View Post
If it's only two years old, it would still be under warranty (unless you put it on an old box spring or something that would void the warranty). What's it doing?
It's sagging. It SHOULD be under warranty. But it has to sag 1.5" and stay that way for some amount of time after you get up. With the pillow top there we can't show that its doing that.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
KingsDaughter76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We just got a Spa Sensations 12" memory foam bed from walmart.com for $399 with free shipping...we got a king size one. It has excellent reviews and you can simply return it to your local walmart if you hate it. We love ours and it makes our sleep SO much better!
Kellina ~Wife to a Cowboy & Christian Homeschooling Mama to 9 kids and YES we would love to have more! Baby #9 is here!! IT'S A GIRL!! Born Oct 1st 2014!!
Forever missing my 7 m/c babies now safe in the arms of Jesus EARN Amazon giftcards for FREE!! Click to sign up for SWAGBUCKS!!
KingsDaughter76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:32 PM   #6
Nandis
Registered Users
seller
seller

If the idea of a used mattress wouldn't bother you, check Craig's list for sleep number beds. Since the economy has slid, there are people struggling to afford the payments on the bed and a lot of times, they just want out from under the loan. I have a friend that got hers for $500 on cl. She says it's the deluxe model and that it was like 8 mos old when she got it (they still had the receipt, so she saw when they bought it). I don't know that I would be ok with a used bed, but she vacuumed it, sprayed it with tea tree oil, sunned it, and hasn't had any issues. So that might be an option for you and DH to get that sleep number. Other than that, I don't really know. My inlaws bought us a back saver matress last year for our anniversary (yes, I think it's weird too, but hey- free bed! Lol) it's not what I would have picked but I'm very thankful. Good luck, op!
Nandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #7
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskira View Post
It's sagging. It SHOULD be under warranty. But it has to sag 1.5" and stay that way for some amount of time after you get up. With the pillow top there we can't show that its doing that.
I know Sealy's policy (used to sell them). It's better than most mattress companies. Just take a string weighted on each end and put it across the mattress so it creates a level line, then use a ruler to measure the dip.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #8
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ikea is your best option. they have great beds.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:47 PM   #9
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

The lady Americana we bought when we moved to our first house was still in great shape when we upgraded to a king 7.5 years later (just a few months ago). It was under $350 when we bought it (with box springs), but it probably runs a couple hundred more now. It was one of their less expensive pillow tops. I was very pleased.

Last edited by joeslittlewoman; 03-05-2013 at 01:49 PM.
joeslittlewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #10
Cajunteacher
Registered Users

I just got a great deal on a twin mattress set at big lots. Check their sales flyer
Cajunteacher is offline   Reply With Quote