Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-07-2013, 07:29 PM   #11
kelly-renee
Registered Users

Re: Thrifty Mattress?

We used foambymail. I think is the name of it, but you submit the order and they make the mattress and mail it to you. We did a latex top and then a foam bottom to make it a bit thicker. It's so comfortable to sleep on. We have had it 2 years and there haven't been any issues. A few of the pieces have come off because we got one that was too large to fit in one of their covers and we have a toddler who likes to pick at it everytime I change the sheets. This isn't an issue at all though. It is still super comfortable and it isn't as sinking in as the memory foam type. It was a great deal I thought and since you pick the size and thickness you can get exactly what you want. They will also send you soles of the different types of foam so you and your bedmate can get what you actually want and not just what you see in the store. If foam by mail isn't the right name I can check through my email if that's something you are interested in

Advertisement

kelly-renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #12
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If you want to go really thrifty you can try reputable hotels. We got a king size mattress in good condition for 50$. Slap a memory foam topper on there and you're good to go.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:55 PM   #13
missemily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunteacher View Post
I just got a great deal on a twin mattress set at big lots. Check their sales flyer
IF you go there ask the people because they sometimes have discontinued models in the back. We got a $200 twin for $100 b/c it was last years model.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #14
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunteacher View Post
I just got a great deal on a twin mattress set at big lots. Check their sales flyer
I've seen great deals at Big Lots & Ollie's. Also, BJ's has coupons for their mattress sets pretty regularly (the size is specified but varies from month to month). My brother got a (new) queen set at an auction for around $100. Likewise, we have a furniture closeout center near us; I've bought tables, chairs, dressers, and couches from them, we just haven't needed a mattress. Their sales week is Sat-Fri., so if you shop on a Friday night, you can usually get another 20-30% off their (already marked-down) prices.
carriek38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #15
Robin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Great thread. A mattress is on our "Wish list"
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #16
90924teeth
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsDaughter76
We just got a Spa Sensations 12" memory foam bed from walmart.com for $399 with free shipping...we got a king size one. It has excellent reviews and you can simply return it to your local walmart if you hate it. We love ours and it makes our sleep SO much better!
I second the wal mart memory foam. It doesn't need a boxspring either if you're putting it on the floor or if you have a platform bed. We bought our first pillow top from SAMs and returned it like 2 years later for store credit then bought the memory foam mattress for less so we made a little extra from the whole deal.

Last edited by 90924teeth; 03-11-2013 at 06:47 PM.
90924teeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #17
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We actually just bought a mattress ourselves (woot! Our 2nd pc of adult furniture ever!)

Sears - I didn't have high expectations, but they are currently having a closeout sale (at least ours is) and I suspect it's a regular thing. We got a Sealy Posturepedic - I think - something or other with coals + memory foam, with split box spring, king size, for $1k. The sticker price was something like $4k but it is a discontinued model. They had other models at lower price points too (and higher, lol). Delivery, setup, and haul away of old, all included. Warranty, everything. Mattress shopping took us all of 45 mins :-)
Old 03-13-2013, 10:52 AM   #18
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all the ideas! I think we will try to find someone to watch the kids for a few hours so we can go shopping. We need to figure out what material we want then I can start my thrifty shopping.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #19
missemily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DottieHarley View Post
We actually just bought a mattress ourselves (woot! Our 2nd pc of adult furniture ever!)

Sears - I didn't have high expectations, but they are currently having a closeout sale (at least ours is) and I suspect it's a regular thing. We got a Sealy Posturepedic - I think - something or other with coals + memory foam, with split box spring, king size, for $1k. The sticker price was something like $4k but it is a discontinued model. They had other models at lower price points too (and higher, lol). Delivery, setup, and haul away of old, all included. Warranty, everything. Mattress shopping took us all of 45 mins :-)
I LOVE my king sized mattress I got from sears!! I think I went during friends and family so I got 50% off the list price plus 10% employee discount, then another 10% off b/c of friends and family.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #20
lauren_brooke
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterisntsomething View Post
If you want to go really thrifty you can try reputable hotels. We got a king size mattress in good condition for 50$. Slap a memory foam topper on there and you're good to go.
This is what I was going to say. DH manages a hotel and they just got all new mattresses, which means all the others just get trashed. He had one from their previous mattresses and we used it when we first got married and it was fine.