Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
love4liam
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Baby's first foods?

Hi all,

what are some of the first foods you tried with your baby?

what age did you begin?

what age did you move over to solids completely, especially if baby is/was ebf ?

THANKS!

Advertisement

love4liam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Baby's first foods?

DS1 I did purees first - veggies and fruits. He was six months old. i did the whole "one new food per week" and did two meal times a day until he like 9-ish months old, then increased it to three meals. By 13/14 months he was weaned and on table foods.

DS2 wanted none of that. At 6 months he grabbed food off my plate and shoved it in his face. He wouldn't touch purees. I used baby mummums to help his gag reflex adjust and all table foods for him from the get go. By 13 months he was weaned off formula and on all table foods.

Good first foods: banana, avocado, broccoli, carrots, sweet potato, green beans.

Don't waste your money on canned baby food. Just buy your normal produce, steam it if it needs to be softened and then smash it. My kids did love yogurt bites and puffs to start and then cheerios later on.
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #3
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
When dd1(8) was little I followed the guide lines for back then. Started at 4.5mos, introduced cereal first, then veggies-yellow then green, then fruits, then meats, the dairy. Finger foods introduced at 6mos but she didnt want them until 7.5mos.

For dd2(5.5) recommendations had changed lol Introduce whatever(not dairy) after 6mos, cereals not really important. She had *no* interest in food until 9mos. Although I did offer purees and finger foods the day she turned 7mos and 8mos. We never did the infant cereal and I dont remember if I did fruits or veggies first. She was on mostly finger foods by 10mos.

I waited 3-5days between each new food for both girls.

Dd1 only got bm until 6mos. and taken fully off formula at 13mos. Dd2 was off formula the day she turned 11mos.

Ds is only 11wks but I plan on just following his lead

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).

Last edited by my2sweets; 03-06-2013 at 12:35 PM.
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
love4liam
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotLad View Post
DS1 I did purees first - veggies and fruits. He was six months old. i did the whole "one new food per week" and did two meal times a day until he like 9-ish months old, then increased it to three meals. By 13/14 months he was weaned and on table foods.

DS2 wanted none of that. At 6 months he grabbed food off my plate and shoved it in his face. He wouldn't touch purees. I used baby mummums to help his gag reflex adjust and all table foods for him from the get go. By 13 months he was weaned off formula and on all table foods.

Good first foods: banana, avocado, broccoli, carrots, sweet potato, green beans.

Don't waste your money on canned baby food. Just buy your normal produce, steam it if it needs to be softened and then smash it. My kids did love yogurt bites and puffs to start and then cheerios later on.
This is great advice!! Do you bother with organic?
Old 03-06-2013, 01:14 PM   #5
love4liam
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sweets View Post
When dd1(8) was little I followed the guide lines for back then. Started at 4.5mos, introduced cereal first, then veggies-yellow then green, then fruits, then meats, the dairy. Finger foods introduced at 6mos but she didnt want them until 7.5mos.

For dd2(5.5) recommendations had changed lol Introduce whatever(not dairy) after 6mos, cereals not really important. She had *no* interest in food until 9mos. Although I did offer purees and finger foods the day she turned 7mos and 8mos. We never did the infant cereal and I dont remember if I did fruits or veggies first. She was on mostly finger foods by 10mos.

I waited 3-5days between each new food for both girls.

Dd1 only got bm until 6mos. and taken fully off formula at 13mos. Dd2 was off formula the day she turned 11mos.

Ds is only 11wks but I plan on just following his lead
I was also thinking of skipping the rice cereal too
Old 03-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #6
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
DD's first food was poi (mashed taro root), and then sweet potato purée. Both at 6m and she was EBF. We did BLW and she didn't start "eating" regularly until 12m. We continued BF past 27m.

Rice cereal is a joke, just go with pure foods.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #7
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
We jut start mushed table food (what we are eating) between 4 and 6 months. We do use some purees, but very seldom.

By 9 months my kids can eat most anything whole.

We continue to nurse until weaning though.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #8
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I highly recommend BLW. I did the purees with DS1 and then mostly BLW with my younger two and found that to work better. They could just eat what the rest of the family was eating at their own comfort level.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:09 PM   #9
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS2's first food was a taste of my black bean soup. He went nuts over it and kept asking for more. We just gave him little tastes of whatever we were eating, until he started picking food up and putting it in his mouth himself. I started with him sometime close to 7mo, and kept foods to a minimum until closer to 10mo. His older brother had problems starting foods, and we had to go back to EBFing until at least 10mo. He had digestion and constipation problems until he was close to 4, which I fully blame on trying foods with him before he was ready. I was not familiar with Baby Led Solids at the point we started offering.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #10
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by love4liam View Post
This is great advice!! Do you bother with organic?
I don't, but I don't strictly buy organic to begin with.
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote