Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-05-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
coffeemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Any suggestions on staying motivated and on track?

Let me start by saying I LOVE food and HATE excercising. After having our last baby I have decided I let myself go and I am so ready to get into the best shape of my life and lose 20lbs. I was doing great w/ the C25K but, got overwhelmed that no matter how hard I tried I couldnt get through the last week. So I am back on my mind set and plan to stay there for 20lbs. How do you all stay motivated and learn to love eating healthy and exercising. I was doing the treadmill 3 times a week versus 5 times a week because it is hard to find the time w/ the LOs under foot and honestly I dont like exercising. So how can I hold myself accountable and learn to love a healthy new life?

Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
lilannies mama
Registered Users
seller

I'm in the same boat mama! I have 20 pounds I need to lose. I was doing good & lost 6 pounds but its all back. For motivation I plan on using a wedding I was invited to in may. I won't lose all 20 by then I'm sure but just to lose some so I can get a pretty dress to wear instead of a loose fitting one. I use an eliptical its hard with the littles but I try to keep her occupied with toys & toons I don't like her watching tv but I also need to exercise. My mean hubby says their are single moms who do it every day if they can surely u can. When it warms up I plan on walking & biking some outside & that's something I can throw her In a stroller & do or get a thing for her for my bike that she can ride in. Eating healthy is hard my dr told me to try to just cut my servings in half at first then were going to try to find a diet I can live with & not feel starved. So no more excuses lets get started mama! We will feel better both physically & health wise.
lilannies mama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Any suggestions on staying motivated and on track?

You've got to find an exercise that you like doing. It doesn't have to be running. Do you like being outside? Try hiking/snowshoeing. Do you like dancing? Try Zumba. Do you like being at peace? Try yoga. Do bikram yoga to get a REAL workout (seriously, a 90 minute class is harder than running a marathon.) do you like team sports? Check out city leagues for ultimate frisbee, soccer, and softball. Look at meetup.com for dodgeball and kickball.

The other key is to find someone to do it with. I run with my BFF. It's our time together. I go to yoga with my mom friends. You're going to go nuts if you're on the treadmill day in and day out by yourself.
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

I just had to be 200% committed to the change. I saw a inspirational video that was saying you have to want it as bad as you want your last breath. That's where I'm at right now. I want to be lean, healthy as bad as I want to breathe. I don't want to look back again and say "look where I could have been if I'd started 6 mos ago, 3 weeks ago, 2 days ago." Kwim? I'm the same as you, I love food, and when I started I hated the exercise. I'm learning to enjoy the "high" that comes with it but it's taken time. There's no food that can make me feel as good as fitting into old jeans, having the energy to be able to keep up with my kids, not having my body ache and my heart race. I'm learning that I can't be a glutton all the time. There's a time to indulge and a time to hold back. I can enjoy those same things, but in much smaller amounts and if it's something really bad then I have to "pay" for it in exercise. Do I want to do that exercise to "pay" for the food? If not, then I can't have it. Don't allow any junk in the house, not even for the kids. They don't "need" it any more than you do. I though my kids would have a fit about not having chips, cookies and the like but they really like crackers and popcorn and fruit and haven't asked for the other stuff. Have some easy things to grab for when you're too tired or rushed to make a good decision. My go-to foods are greek yogurt, baggies of trail mix and my Gnc lean shakes. You really need to find exercises you don't mind doing. We had a treadmill, I hated it. I sold it. I got a stationary bike and I use it constantly and I can forget how long I've been going. My dh rides it while he watches tv. I do my workout videos while my son is napping and the other boys are at school. If night time or early morning is the only time you can do this, then you'll have to commit to that.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
MrsJordan85
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For me, I have to get my butt up and just do it before I talk myself out of it. I have never been a runner, but I am in the process of training for a half marathon. I am by no means small: 5'3'' & 170 lbs right now. I have at least 20 lbs to lose still, but you have to set small & reasonable goals. Also get accountability, someone who you report your workouts to. Also food logging/journaling helps a lot. You CAN do this.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #6
savingmomof2boys
Registered Users
seller
seller

For me, I have to set small and obtainable goals and then reward myself when I reach my goals.

Join me on Swag Bucks to earn Free Giftcards!

Also Earning CASH with Jingit!!
savingmomof2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #7
s2grace
Registered Users
seller

I find as my kids get older i need to have my "me" time before they wake up. I live sleep and can easily sleep for 8-9 hours but I like feeling better about myself more.

Using my fitness pal has helped me so much. It holds me accountable. Even if I go over I log my foods. Then I gave no excuses as so why not losing. I also got a polar heart rate monitor so I can see how many calories I'm burning.

I like the idea of goals for short term (non good related!). Anyone want to share theirs? When I get to 190 I am going to get a new pair if pants, maybe an outfit. I am 197 now
Old 03-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #8
coffeemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Really great ideas and inspiration ladies, thank you! Your help is very helpful!
As far as exercise goes the treadmill is all I really can do and once I get past the first couple of weeks and I am noticing some changes I dont mind it and I never look forward to it but, feel so proud of myself once I get off of it. My DH travels for work and is gone for a week at a time and I have a 1, 2.5, and 5.5 yr old so the treadmill at naptime is the most convenient thing for me. Once it is nice outside I will be doing more outside but, I do love the consistency the treadmill brings.
The short term goals I need to focus on as that would really help. I have a couple of long term goals, but they are such long term that I lose focus (DH said he would give me a good chunk of $ to go clothes shopping once I hit the weight I want-140lbs and also we are planning a trip to Vegas the end of the year-we havent been away overnight alone together for 4 yrs.
As far as food around the house we dont have much crap food since I have no self control and will keep eating until its gone and also we are on the Dave Ramsey budgeting plan and that doesnt leave you much room for buying yummy unnecessary food.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #9
coffeemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have an account at MFP so I need to start leaving it open on my computer as that is an awesome website!
Also the only way I stay consistent is to get on the treadmill at morning nap or I make excuses and never get it done. I was doing it at 6am but, it seems the kids knew when I would get up early and join me

Sorry I dont know how to multi quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #10
coffeemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilannies mama View Post
I'm in the same boat mama! I have 20 pounds I need to lose. I was doing good & lost 6 pounds but its all back. For motivation I plan on using a wedding I was invited to in may. I won't lose all 20 by then I'm sure but just to lose some so I can get a pretty dress to wear instead of a loose fitting one. I use an eliptical its hard with the littles but I try to keep her occupied with toys & toons I don't like her watching tv but I also need to exercise. My mean hubby says their are single moms who do it every day if they can surely u can. When it warms up I plan on walking & biking some outside & that's something I can throw her In a stroller & do or get a thing for her for my bike that she can ride in. Eating healthy is hard my dr told me to try to just cut my servings in half at first then were going to try to find a diet I can live with & not feel starved. So no more excuses lets get started mama! We will feel better both physically & health wise.
Alright woman, lets go!