Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-06-2013, 06:13 AM   #21
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I am at my wits end.

The rash we dealt with with ds was different (his bottom bled daily) but we dealt with diaper rash issues with him from almost birth until I fianlly gave up and went to sposies full time at 9 months. At almost 3 1/2 he still gets a really sore bottom easily if I'm npt right on top of diaper changes (I really hope he cooperates on potty training soon). Even sposies weren't great for us but better - went from daily bloody rash to only once or twice a week.

We tried lots of cloth options - prefolds, pockets with various stay dry options, flats (for better cleaning), AIOs, etc. We spent a lot of money. With our girls our pedi recommended bag balm for diaper rashes rather than actual diaper rash cream. That stuff worked awesome for the girls but did nothing for ds. We ended up with prescription rash cream for ds - it was a compound of aquaphore and something else (we haven't had the cream in over a year so I can't remember anymore). That stuff was amazing! I randomly got sposies one time so I could wash my diapers really good and noticed he cleared up faster than usual. Finally at 9 months I had to say that diapers changes should be so tortuous and switched to sposies. It was perfect (still had to be really on top of doaper changes) but it was better. We tred cloth at 18 months again for awhile because he'd been doing so good but the rashes started again. Oh and for us the brand of sposies has made a difference too.

So long story and not quite like yours. But all that to say - keep trying. It can take awhile to figure it out. But sometimes all you'll get is 'better' instead of fixed and you need to roll with that. It will probably get better as she ages. Good luck! Dealing with constant rashes is exhausting to deal with!

Advertisement

Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:31 AM   #22
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I have had good luck with sween cream. bag balm?. powder? ezxema not what would work.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #23
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by marliah View Post
Could it be a food allergy? My girls bothe have multiple food sensitivities and it shows up as a rash at times.
Along the same lines, mine had a food sensitivity that was causing multiple runny BMs each day. Of course, having poop smeared on your butt five times a day doesn't help a rash, so I experimented with food until she was a solid pooper. That helped. Hope you figure it out, it's no fun seeing baby miserable!
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #24
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by apboyles View Post
Have you tried an anti-fungal? Like athlete's foot cream? When DS had a persistent diaper rash, the ped recommended it. It helped clear it up pretty quickly.
I've tried clotrimazole and a prescription anti fungal. Our ped says it's not yeast/fungal but who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebee View Post
Poor you, and her. I went through exactly the same thing with my second daughter. She just permanently had a diaper rash and it was the worst wherever any kind of rubbing occurred. She also had quite bad eczema and the only thing that helped was hydrocortisone cream. It all started when she was about 5 months and finally started going away around 10 months old. It cleared up pretty quickly after that, but her skin has always been a bit rash-prone. I also tried everything. In the end what worked the best was a soft velour prefold with a soft wool wrap cover. Anything rubbing caused irritation. I will add though it didn't totally go away, it was just a bit better if I used that. Maybe a fleece wrap if you don't want to do wool? I eventually resorted to using the HC the doctor had recommended because she was just so uncomfortable and cranky. It would be good for a few days, and then I would have to use it again. I'm just glad it all started clearing up when it did. I hated having to resort to something like that.
I just tried hydrocortisone last night and this morning. Maybe it will help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth.scalf View Post
I've done antibacterial before, like neosporin. I've had great success lately with using vitamin E oil and Lavendar EO , a drop of each, in a palm full of carrier oil--coconut or almond. No repelling.

Oatmeal or baking soda baths. , sometimes I run a bath with a squirt of dr. Bronners and a squirt of sweet almond oil. It really moisturizes and soothes.

You might also try fitters or Prefolds without the covers.
Thanks She's been naked a lot latey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marliah View Post
Could it be a food allergy? My girls bothe have multiple food sensitivities and it shows up as a rash at times.
Would a food allergy show up on the top of her labia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Have you tried switching to using only stay-dry diapers for a few days? Ds had a rash in a similar area for a few weeks before I went back to work. I tried all sorts of creams, treated for yeast, tried only prefolds, and tried switching to sposies, but it wouldn't go away. After a few days at daycare, or maybe a week, where he was only in BG pockets + nights in pockets at home, it disappeared. Now he can wear prefolds/fitteds sometimes, but can't be in them full time.
I have. I've done pockets for a couple days but it doesn't help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhianna'sMommy View Post
The rash we dealt with with ds was different (his bottom bled daily) but we dealt with diaper rash issues with him from almost birth until I fianlly gave up and went to sposies full time at 9 months. At almost 3 1/2 he still gets a really sore bottom easily if I'm npt right on top of diaper changes (I really hope he cooperates on potty training soon). Even sposies weren't great for us but better - went from daily bloody rash to only once or twice a week.

We tried lots of cloth options - prefolds, pockets with various stay dry options, flats (for better cleaning), AIOs, etc. We spent a lot of money. With our girls our pedi recommended bag balm for diaper rashes rather than actual diaper rash cream. That stuff worked awesome for the girls but did nothing for ds. We ended up with prescription rash cream for ds - it was a compound of aquaphore and something else (we haven't had the cream in over a year so I can't remember anymore). That stuff was amazing! I randomly got sposies one time so I could wash my diapers really good and noticed he cleared up faster than usual. Finally at 9 months I had to say that diapers changes should be so tortuous and switched to sposies. It was perfect (still had to be really on top of doaper changes) but it was better. We tred cloth at 18 months again for awhile because he'd been doing so good but the rashes started again. Oh and for us the brand of sposies has made a difference too.

So long story and not quite like yours. But all that to say - keep trying. It can take awhile to figure it out. But sometimes all you'll get is 'better' instead of fixed and you need to roll with that. It will probably get better as she ages. Good luck! Dealing with constant rashes is exhausting to deal with!
It's been months and I am so tired of dealing with it. I hope we figure it out soon!
Old 03-06-2013, 11:08 AM   #25
eahcapemay
Registered Users
seller
seller

We had a rash I thought was cause by friction and it hung around for weeks. What finally fixed it was this- every 4 hours during the day I would soak DS in a lukewarm bath with baking soda in it and then keep him naked for 10 minuets. No creams, no powders, no nothing. It cleared up the rash after a few days. I thought his poor front would never be clear!
Old 03-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #26
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by eahcapemay View Post
We had a rash I thought was cause by friction and it hung around for weeks. What finally fixed it was this- every 4 hours during the day I would soak DS in a lukewarm bath with baking soda in it and then keep him naked for 10 minuets. No creams, no powders, no nothing. It cleared up the rash after a few days. I thought his poor front would never be clear!
I'll have to see if that helps. She's naked a LOT lately. Maybe the baking soda baths will help!
Old 03-06-2013, 01:55 PM   #27
graceworks
Registered Users
Formerly: annaelise
seller
seller

My Mood:

if its at all "infected" looking I would try the triple antibiotic cream. 3x a day
loving being a stay at home wife to DH (married 4/11/09) and mommy to DD1 (10/4/10) and little DD2 (5/30/12) and expecting baby #3 in March!
graceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #28
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I called our ped's office today. They said to use the hydrocortisone and keep it moisturized. Hope it helps