Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
pinktoes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Is it possible to reconcile minimslist with shopaholicism?

I'm not too bad shopping-wise, but I think DH would disagree.
I enjoy purging, but then just want to buy more

Tips? Suggestions? Is this a reasonable goal?

Advertisement

pinktoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
slyeates
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is it possible to reconcile minimslist with shopaholicism?

i need the answer to this also! no help here, sorry!
Old 03-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #3
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Well, a couple of suggestions, though neither does anything to cure the shopaholic, if that's what you are looking for.

First, make it a rule for yourself that you can only bring in one _____ if you have gotten rid of two others that week already. Like, you can only buy one book if you have gotten rid of two others earlier in the week. Or you can only buy the new dress if you got rid of two other outfits earlier in the week. You get the idea.

The second is to try to transfer the shopaholic to consumable or digital items. To use the book example...you want a new book so instead of buying a paperback, you buy a digital book for your kindle.

Another idea, buy it for others. That super cute shirt is on a GREAT clearance sale, you just HAVE to buy it because there will never ever be another deal like it again. So buy it...then drop it off at goodwill or at your church's pantry, or one of those charities that provide clothes to help women get jobs, that sort of thing.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:28 PM   #4
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Those are some great tips, happysmiley!

I think once you start to see some concrete benefits of minimalism it gets easier to say no to shopping. Once I minimized toys and saw how much less stressed the kids were, it was suddenly very easy to skip the toy aisles at the thrift store, Target, etc. When I realized how easy and accessible everything was in my kitchen when I started baking/cooking, it was easy to pass up a new kitchen gadget. When I look through my closet for something to wear and don't have to flip through all the stuff not getting any love, it's easy to pass up new clothes.

I keep running lists of things we need and enjoy scouring ads for deals on them.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
nana2peach
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

nana2peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Also, for things like clothes, I do go shopping for myself about once a year. Stuff wears out and needs replacing. Same with kids clothes, except more often because they grow so stinkin much. I just make sure I'm getting rid of enough of my old clothes to make room for the new. And the kids' stuff all has to fit into a certain amount of space.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
sweetest
Registered Users
seller
seller

One in, one out... if you bring something into your home, something else must go out.
sweetest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #8
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I like to shop. I do it to cure boredom. I do it for fun. I do it to escape the house. We don't *need* whatever it is.

I looked around one day and was overwhelmed with the waste & excess. I'm not a minimalist but aspire to be someday! (I'm sure at the very least, I'll be a minimalist when I'm dead... because I can't take it with me! Ha Ha!)

Things I've done:

I make lists. I try to only buy *need* items.

I currently am doing a "no spend year". I don't get to buy ANYTHING (except groceries/household cleaners/ toiletries) unless I sell something to fund it OR I pay with what I earn from swagbucks. I get $50 in paypal /$25 in Amazon a month roughly from swagbucks. I know I have a "limit" as to what I can spend. I have to start saving up for DS's school clothes etc. I saw something really cute and I *wanted*. It was easy to say in my head... "That's 2 pairs of jeans for DS. I buy can't that." While this approach might be too extreme for you... at least setting a budget might help.

24 hours... If it is not on the list, I try to follow the 24 hour rule. I have to sleep on it.

My DH doesn't hold me accountable for my spending. If your DH will, try a "Ask the hubby first" rule.

On clothes for DH & I, we have a 1 in 1 out rule. So if he buys a pair of jeans... an old pair has to go. If he buys a tie then an old tie has to go. DH has a stack of 30 "working on the car" t-shirts. They have holes/stains/faded/10 years old and don't fit... something that makes them unwearable in public. He would not budge or throw them away. I proposed this... He now gladly hands them over so they can disappear.

Stay away from temptation. Don't window shop!

If I *need* something, I try to figure out how to use what I have. I sew... I already made DD's summer clothes. You'd be surprised how many things you can make a toddler out of one queen size sheet! (3 dresses, 2 shirts, 3 capris, a shirt and a pair of pants)

Add up what you bought last year. Go through your bank statements, credit card statements, receipts, paypal.... Add it up. Was it worth it? What could you have bought with it if you had not nickle and dimed it away? What awesome vacation could you have taken but didn't because you got "stuff" instead? Set a goal. What would motivate you to stop buying and start saving? (PS... this is painful ...to realize the financial cost of being a consumer. )

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia

Last edited by Rdesonia; 03-06-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #9
pinktoes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Lots of good ideas!
pinktoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #10
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:

Channel it into holiday and birthday gift giving rather than doing throw-away gifts or gift cards. Like PP said, shop from a Needs list. Identify items in your closet that you don't have, for example a black button down shirt. Then whenever you get the urge to shop, shop only for that one item. Don't buy it until you find the perfect one. You can get a lot of shopping hours in and get it all out of your system before you find The One. Cuts down impulse buys.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote