Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #11
jrpbrown1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is it possible to reconcile minimslist with shopaholicism?

This blog really inspires me: thenonconsumeradvocate.com

It is a process. It is changing your mindset from "I need this" to something else. That something else can be "I might be able to get this secondhand" or "No, I don't need this" or "Is this really where I want my money to go?". I think you have to find your own motivation and work towards it.

I also earn my fun money with Swagbucks and surveys. I restrict myself to personal splurges from those earnings. Less guilt that way.

I also play "coupon fairy" when there is a good sale and I have a coupon but don't need that item myself, I get satisfaction leaving the coupon near the item on the shelf at the store so someone else can get the deal.

Advertisement

jrpbrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #12
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

I suppose if your budget can hack it, and you give stuff away constantly, they can be reconciled.

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:43 AM   #13
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

I love shopping too. Although this has really decreased lately as I look at an item and re-think how badly I want it and how long before I purge it.

I spent a lot of time accumulating stuff on free craigslist, freecycle, and cheap stuff at garage sales. I liked that if I could get stuff for free or very cheap, I didn't have to worry about taking care of it. And I didn't mind hanging onto it in case I needed it down the road.

But now that I'm decluttering and getting rid of things unless there's a specific use for them it's different. We just got a universal remote, so instead of 3 remotes there's just one. I would LOVE to get rid of them but DH looked horrified - "what if we need them?" lol.

I've always been a good shopper, and don't anything too impulsive (although that's not necessarily true if it was a cheap/free item). So now as I purge I look for ways to make things more efficient and minimal. This gives me lots of time to really research a product and think about what exactly I want.

I've had the same desk basically my whole life. It's huge and was custom built by my parents before I was born '82, so they could fit 3 computers on it. For the first time I'm desk shopping and really brainstorming exactly what I want a desk to do. I also decluttered my filing cabinet and only need one drawer to fit everything... so I'm trying to figure out a desk that will fit the files and I can ditch the cabinet! I'm doing tons of research and looking at what I can get that will meet my needs. I love it, and it feels like shopping even though it's really just researching. I also combined the needs of 3 different furniture items in the living room into one bookcase/entertainment center. I spent forever figuring out the perfect solution.

Honestly, the need to browse and shop just isn't as strong as it was. Very gradually I've just lost interest in it. It's not as fun anymore because I look at an item and envision how long I'll hang onto it before purging it. Also having a toddler and one on the way makes my shopping time much less fun (even though I go crazy finding just the right items for them).
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:59 AM   #14
clothlover8
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia View Post
I like to shop. I do it to cure boredom. I do it for fun. I do it to escape the house. We don't *need* whatever it is.

Add up what you bought last year. Go through your bank statements, credit card statements, receipts, paypal.... Add it up. Was it worth it? What could you have bought with it if you had not nickle and dimed it away? What awesome vacation could you have taken but didn't because you got "stuff" instead? Set a goal. What would motivate you to stop buying and start saving? (PS... this is painful ...to realize the financial cost of being a consumer. )
This is a good one! I find looking back through receipts and bank statements is so depressing, it makes me realise how much I spend on little bits and pieces here and there and usually I can't remember what or where the thing even is, it really didn't add any value to our lives, it just gave me a cheap thrill when I purchased it. It really makes you stop and think before buying more.

Also I have just started getting back into crocheting and some crafting since it's coming into winter here, I have been finding any spare time I have I want to spend crafting not shopping so that has helped me too.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:51 AM   #15
pinktoes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Lots of good suggestions. ! Thank you!
pinktoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #16
themamageek
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

Because minimalism isn't about a number of items to me or anything, I usually am okay with one hobby/collection/whatever. It bring me joy, looks pretty and has significance in my life. That's fine. I don't buy erratically...everything I buy must have a purpose, at least, but I don't feel guilty if I own 3 diaper bags, for instance.
themamageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #17
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

This has kind of been touched on in this thread already, but partially b/c money is tight, and partially b/c I am detail-oriented, I will spend a long time--week's even--shopping for one item (usually online, comparing prices and features and reviews). I suppose this gives prolonged retail therapy as well as helping me make the most of my money. I will also set up ebay watches for items that are not currently in my pricepoint. And yes, it means I get very frustrated if a seller does not produce the item as described.

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #18
kittenbaby77
Registered Users
seller

I always wait before I buy once the item I want is under the "want" list. If its an necessary item, I can buy right away. For the "want" list, I have a 7 days rule. So I do not buy the item that I first see but I will go home and think about it for 7 days first. If I really really want it, then I would remember it and have done enough research on the price to see if I should get it. ( mostly, I just forget about it thou lol)

Last edited by kittenbaby77; 03-09-2013 at 04:31 PM.
kittenbaby77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #19
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
My ideas have already been mentioned. Mostly one in, one or two out. Sell stuff to fund other stuff.

I wanted to buy some new Scentsy bars as my collection is growing smaller. I had to sell my old non-used cubes that I dislike to buy more. I sold 6 parts of bars (24 cubes) so I can buy 2 bars that I like.

My babyhawk isn't working so I sold it & found a used Ergo for the same price so I'm only out shipping.

Any diapers I want, I have to sell other diapers to buy. Sold a SoftBums Echo Friday & bought a Softbums Omni Saturday. Sold some Flip flat inserts to fund Thirsties Hemp...

That sort of thing.

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote