Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #11
lemurmommies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by myblessedbaby
It's good to know my DS isn't the only one who's needed an adjustment period. Thanks for sharing all your experiences. I guess it'll just take him a few days to get used to them.
He did pick out the frames himself. I think he was surprised when he tried on the "same" glasses and everything looked different because he was seeing it through the prescription lenses rather than the plain ones.

That is something DS said while playing with his legos this afternoon. I hope he'll be able to relax into his glasses like your DS.
I hope he is able to appreciate them soon. Right away at the shop, my son said "Now I have 4 moms!" (Two of me and two of DP). Poor guy cried a lot the first day. Then when he put them on first thing the next morning, it seemed better. I am betting after a good night's sleep and putting them on first thing, it will seem a little better to him.

Advertisement

lemurmommies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #12
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How long did it take for your child to get used to wearing glasses?

I second getting a few different pair from a place like Zenni. My kids like to be able to choose their accessories.

Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:32 PM   #13
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Going from no glasses to glasses is like a huge prescription jump - it can take an entire week just to have the eyes get used to them. That doesn't even take the psychological issues into effect.

I just got new glasses on Saturday with a large prescription jump, and I am still getting headaches and seeing things bizarrely. I didn't even want to drive down a grade in the rain yesterday because my depth perception is really weird. I have been wearing glasses for 22 years and I was whining to my husband last night

I'd give it time. Even with a totally correct prescription the eyes need to relax and adjust as PP said.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #14
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

1-2 weeks and like another poster said, my son hates taking them off now cause he can see much better w them on. hes my only kid w glasses this early- he got them at age 5.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:35 AM   #15
myblessedbaby
Registered
seller

Today was better. He remembered to put them on this morning when he woke up. I didn't even have to tell him. On the way to school he pointed out all these things he couldn't see before. He saw the letters on the 'do not enter' sign and was pretty excited about that. We used that sign as a test to prior to getting glasses and he couldn't tell there were letters on it at that point. So I think he's on his way to appreciating them. We'll see how he does at school today.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:45 AM   #16
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Keegan adjusted pretty much right away. He never really complained about them bothering him, and he could see better with them right away. It may be his personality, he is a VERY easy going kid.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:51 AM   #17
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:
Mine liked them right away bc they could see much better. They all have very light scripts but it makes a difference to them. They were older, though...around 8 years old.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:34 AM   #18
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

i think more off longer to adjust. i remember there was for me 20 some yrs ago. i still dont like wearing...