Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-08-2013, 12:30 AM   #1
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Contemplating... your thoughts?

So we always seem to have clothing in the next size waiting around. I've mentioned many times in many threads that both grandmas like to buy clothes for my kids, and while I totally really appreciate it we always end up with way too much and a lot of outfits that are matchy (like those super cute gymboree numbers where even the socks and hair bows match). A part of me really likes the matched outfits (the OCD part of me that is) but the tired worn out mom trying to be minimal in all areas just wants a group of basic mix and match pieces so that the girls can just pick a pair of pants and a shirt and call it good...

So I'm seriously considering selling most of the clothes waiting around for summer and using those funds to buy a mix and match wardrobe... I'm just slightly afraid the grandmas will be pissed... and also slight;y worried I'll miss the matchy outfits (lol).

Thoughts?

(P.S. this is my inspiration: http://catelinden.com/simplicity/a-m...e-year-later/#)

Advertisement

ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:10 AM   #2
TypeAMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Di**ae
seller

My Mood:
I say go for it, but please post pics of the simple wardrobe you go with and where you find affordable, easy to match pieces. Even when I buy new clothes, which financially pains me, it seems like everything has patterns and graphics on it which makes it harder to match with the other patterned and graphic pieces.
Slave to my
TypeAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:12 AM   #3
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
Lots of times the shirts look just add cute paired with jeans or pink pants. I remember when my first was a year old, my mom asked what she needed for Christmas and I told her that we had tons of matchy outfits but whenever she spilled something and I needed to change her pants, I didn't have plain pants to put with the shirt, so her matchy outfits became mis- matchy outfits loll. I asked for a box of plain solid color pants and jeans that would match all her shirts. Tell the grandma's your concern. Tell them you appreciate the outfits but you're so worried that she'll stain the pants or the shirt and then it won't be matchy anymore, so you're going to save matchy outfits for special days, therefore you don't need as many. Tell them it would be super helpful if they got solid pants.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:21 AM   #4
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Contemplating... your thoughts?

The older they get, the more they will want to put together their own outfits, and they may not see/care that there are matching sets. I still have issues with my 7YO coming down with a really obnoxious combo, LOL. I say get the grandmas on board with buying coordinates. Tell them you appreciate the outfits, but the kids are getting to the age where they ruin pieces quickly which nullifies the whole outfit, and that sometimes they need to change one piece one or more times a day. Then you have given them a mission to change their shopping without taking it away. In the meantime buy a few solids that will coordinate with what you have.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:21 AM   #5
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The older they get, the more they will want to put together their own outfits, and they may not see/care that there are matching sets. I still have issues with my 7YO coming down with a really obnoxious combo, LOL. I say get the grandmas on board with buying coordinates. Tell them you appreciate the outfits, but the kids are getting to the age where they ruin pieces quickly which nullifies the whole outfit, and that sometimes they need to change one piece one or more times a day. Then you have given them a mission to change their shopping without taking it away. In the meantime buy a few solids that will coordinate with what you have.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:26 AM   #6
sweetest
Registered Users
seller
seller

That might be a hard sell with the grandparents! Could you talk to them about buying some mix and match pieces instead of the sets? It will be much easier if you bring them in on the plan since they buy clothes for your kids!

Also, maybe limit them to one cute matchy outfit for each girl (you could use them for when you need to be a little dressier). Then the grandmas would each get to pick out something special for each girl and you wouldn't be so overwhelmed!

I totally understand how you are feeling...I'm planning on doing simple mix/match wardrobes for my boys (9 mo and 8 yo).

Searching through my baby's clothes for something to match has been driving me crazy and my 8 yo always picks the strangest combinations (because he has too many clothes that don't coordinate with each other). I also hate doing laundry because we have so many mismatched pieces!

For the baby I'm planning:
5 bright colored one piece rompers
3 cute sleeveless rompers (already have these)
5 t-shirts (for when he is going coverless around the house)
5 pairs of white socks (not getting colors this time!!!)
3 footed sleepers

For my 8yo
5 shorts (neutral colors)
2 pair of jeans (already own)
7 t-shirts
1 sweatshirt (already own)
1 church outfit (probably khaki shorts and button up shirt)
1 pack of white socks (we have 4 different brands of white socks now... drives me crazy)
Flip flops, sneakers, church sandals
sweetest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:32 AM   #7
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

We have always dressed our kids in the non-matching outfits. They always end up with a few here and there (well, not so much now the older two are 10 and 12), but overall, we do bottoms in solids and tops with prints. When the bottoms have prints, they have at least 2 solid shirts that will match.

I definitely agree with what the others have said about telling the grandmas your concerns and asking them to help you get clothes more to what you would like to have, but still give them the option of buying one or two special matching outfits.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:40 AM   #8
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

We do solid bottoms and then any shirt works with them =)

I'd bring the grandmas on board since they are shopping. My friend thought I was mean when I got rid of all of the patterned/coloured bottoms but it makes it so much easier. My 4 year old (usually) matches pretty well - today is an exception, she found a skirt that I was going to get rid of since it is light pink and white and very poofy. She paired it with brown tights, a hot pink tshirt and a blue sweater, lol.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:06 AM   #9
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Eh, I just let my kids not match. I think its kind of cute lol. But if that won't work for you, I would just let the gmas know you are running out of room, this is what we really need....

Sent from my droid
Old 03-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #10
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetest View Post
That might be a hard sell with the grandparents! Could you talk to them about buying some mix and match pieces instead of the sets? It will be much easier if you bring them in on the plan since they buy clothes for your kids!

Also, maybe limit them to one cute matchy outfit for each girl (you could use them for when you need to be a little dressier). Then the grandmas would each get to pick out something special for each girl and you wouldn't be so overwhelmed!

I totally understand how you are feeling...I'm planning on doing simple mix/match wardrobes for my boys (9 mo and 8 yo).

Searching through my baby's clothes for something to match has been driving me crazy and my 8 yo always picks the strangest combinations (because he has too many clothes that don't coordinate with each other). I also hate doing laundry because we have so many mismatched pieces!

For the baby I'm planning:
5 bright colored one piece rompers
3 cute sleeveless rompers (already have these)
5 t-shirts (for when he is going coverless around the house)
5 pairs of white socks (not getting colors this time!!!)
3 footed sleepers

For my 8yo
5 shorts (neutral colors)
2 pair of jeans (already own)
7 t-shirts
1 sweatshirt (already own)
1 church outfit (probably khaki shorts and button up shirt)
1 pack of white socks (we have 4 different brands of white socks now... drives me crazy)
Flip flops, sneakers, church sandals
ITA w/the bolded! I actually have a laundry bag that sits on top of the machine waiting for the other pieces of outfits to come through the wash ><

Thanks for all advice so far everyone, I will certainly try talking to the grandmas, it just gets exhausting constantly trying to remind them of our values and beliefs when it either falls on deaf ears or they 'comply' for a month and then go right back to what they were doing before. Drives me especially crazy with my own mom b/c she always talks about how much it upset her that my grandma didn't respect her parenting decisions yet she rarely respects mine. Obviously an ongoing issue

I was actually thinking of doing stripey pants and solid shirts... I don't care so much if the shirt exactly matches the color of the stripes, just so long as it's the same color family... I do wonder where I'll find this mythical wardrobe though...

(Oh and for the person who asked, I've found basic pieces at old navy, target, and hana anderson in the past, it just takes some looking sometimes).
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote