Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #1
AJH1544
Registered Users
seller

Youve given me inspiration!

Now how to begin?

I am sure there are a hundred threads here telling how to start. But what did YOU do that worked?

Should i go one room at a time? Do a little in each room?

My worst one would likely be the kitchen. It is sooooo tiny with no counters and no cabinets (i eggagerate...kind of) but i am a self-proclaimed kitchen gadget crazy person lol.

So how did you start? Is it better to have a yard sale, donate to goodwill, put on freecycle?

How do you keep from bringing stuff into the house and cluttering it up again? Do you and your spouse have some sort of rating system?

Advertisement

Last edited by AJH1544; 03-09-2013 at 11:51 AM.
AJH1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
jacandy
Registered Users
seller

I started with getting anything garbage out of the whole house. Then I started going room by room. Anything we purged over $10-$15 I kept for eBay and anything else I would donate. Now I did this back in dec before we moved to fl but I'm going to start again with stuff that's unpacked and then when we unpack after the next move in a month. Hannah keeley is awesome! I wub her lol. She just did a 30 day power purge and all the days are on YouTube on her page. She has a website and Facebook. I can't say enough positive things about her.

http://www.iheartfrugality.com
jacandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Youve given me inspiration!

"To begin, begin."

But really, it can be that simple. You just have to start.

I think it's best to either choose your worst area that really irks you, or to choose an area where you'll get the largest "bang for your buck," meaning that you'll see large results quickly (like a bathroom or closet). It depends on what motivates you.

You may want to join one of the threads on here to stay motivated. The 2,013 in 2013 thread is fun because you can update with how much you've purged. We have a weekly mini minimalist thread where we just do a little bit from all over the house. You can even start your own thread to update with your progress. I have found it very motivating to share goals and progress with others, so coming on this subforum and reading what others do and posting pictures and such is a way that I stay motivated.

Once you decide where you want to start, focus on one smaller area at a time. Like, let's say you decide to tackle your kitchen. You would want to start with one section of countertop, or one drawer, or one cabinet.

It helps me to make piles (you can use a dining table, or boxes, or whatever you find helpful) and I divide things up. Trash, donate/sell, keep. I recommend trying to do a little at a time so that you don't feel overwhelmed by those piles; after you're done purging and cleaning an area, tackle those piles right away (that's an issue I have, sometimes it's hard with little kids and then suddenly I can't use my dining room table for a week because it's full of stuff). I try to put donations in the car right away, then relocate items that are out of place and toss garbage in the trash.

Try to focus on smaller areas instead of the overwhelming larger picture. It's much easier to attempt to clear off a countertop than it is to "declutter the kitchen." Good luck!

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #4
AJH1544
Registered Users
seller

Yes, i saw the weekly thread and that is what got me so interested!! i think the weekly one is very encouraging and not overwhelming.

I will check out that person too.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #5
mimi57
Registered Users
seller

I started with the areas of the house that annoyed me the most and then went from there
mimi57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:01 PM   #6
indigo152
Registered Users
seller

I started by following the guidelines set out in "8 Weeks to a Less Cluttered Home" on this blog (no, I am not affiliated with it:
http://www.keeperofthehome.org/2012/...ered-home.html

We also had a thread going here in this forum that followed along with the plan. It was very helpful for me to have a detailed plan to follow that gave specific tasks.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:11 PM   #7
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo152 View Post
I started by following the guidelines set out in "8 Weeks to a Less Cluttered Home" on this blog (no, I am not affiliated with it:

We also had a thread going here in this forum that followed along with the plan. It was very helpful for me to have a detailed plan to follow that gave specific tasks.
Yes, this link is a great one! I have it printed out and have referred to it several times.

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #8
AJH1544
Registered Users
seller

How did you get your spouses on board? My hubby is the type that keeps boxes to everything "just in case." Lol
Old 03-09-2013, 07:37 PM   #9
Cathy_B
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My husband is awful. Any time I clear a space he covers it. His stuff is literally everywhere - table, counters, floors, floors, chairs, beds, piano bench, and our entire second storey... it drives me crazy. Any advice for that? He is self employed and it's all "important work stuff" so I can't just trash it. I can't even move it without having him freak out. Yet he seems to think I shouldn't freak out about the overwhelming mess.

I have purchased all sorts of storage devices for him. Vertical, horizontal, stackable, expandable, clear, totes, always complete with labelling pens and stickers ... it never improves. I am at the end of my rope.

I have politely told him how I feel, and I have also nagged, begged, ordered, moved it all, got mad, pointed out logic ... I get nowhere.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #10
nzmum
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo152 View Post

Thanks for posting this. I read it & made a list & started on it. I have cleaned out my pantry, 6 shelves & thrown out heaps & put a lot of food in plastic containers that I bought ages ago that have been sitting in another cupboard taking up room...so glad that job is done...feels good

Next job is to change around shelves where the dishes & plastics & bits & pieces are stored, probably find heaps of things thought lost on the top & bottom shelves as things get biffed there.

Thanks for the motivation everyone & for sharing your photos
nzmum is offline   Reply With Quote