Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-07-2013, 09:00 AM   #11
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: No Mudroom - what to do??

Are y'all currently wearing all the shoes that are kept in that space? Keep shoes that are not being worn, or not worn often, in bedroom closets.

Advertisement

tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:21 AM   #12
leadmare
Registered Users
seller

Haha- yes boots often get cold. But it was either that or all the muddy, snowy, dirty boots in our house. I looked into getting a boot heater, so that's another option.
leadmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:23 AM   #13
leadmare
Registered Users
seller

Here's another idea. You could get boot trays and everyone could keep their shoes in their rooms and the tray would keep moisture from getting all over your floors.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #14
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo152
The lack of a mudroom in my house is finally starting to get on my nerves! We enter our house from the garage directly into our kitchen. We hang coats on a rack on the wall next to the door. Adjacent to that wall is an opening to our dining room. I have a bookcase there with fabric bins for shoe storage. At this time of year we also have winter boots congregating on the floor.
I am just tired of having coats hanging in my kitchen, and shoes in my dining room. We do have a small coat closet on the same level, but not next to the door.
I would love to hear ideas of how other people handle lack of mudrooms.
Sorry, my ignorance is showing. I've never even heard of a mudroom... People have rooms devoted just to shoe and coat storage? We just use closets or those door hanging pouch things in bedrooms. The shoes we wear daily are just by the front door or the entry way if our house has one. At night, if we aren't going o wear them the next day, they go in the bedroom. Jackets go on a hook, sweaters go in bedrooms.
~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #15
leadmare
Registered Users
seller

Marianna1988, too funny. Yes, some people actually have (usually small) rooms just for coats and shoes. The idea is you come in out of the weather, and can take off your coats and dirty shoes before entering the home. That way you don't get wet when you take off your coat, and you also don't shake put or track in snow, dirt, rain etc. in the main living area. Although I've never actually lived somewhere that had a mudroom, I think they are pretty neat.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #16
indigo152
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna1988 View Post

Sorry, my ignorance is showing. I've never even heard of a mudroom... People have rooms devoted just to shoe and coat storage? We just use closets or those door hanging pouch things in bedrooms. The shoes we wear daily are just by the front door or the entry way if our house has one. At night, if we aren't going o wear them the next day, they go in the bedroom. Jackets go on a hook, sweaters go in bedrooms.
Haha, perhaps mudrooms are a luxury. I wonder if they are more common here in New England? During winter months I really would like a room or little area near the entrance door where we could take off shoes, and prevent dirt and snow from coming into the house.

I really should limit the number of shoes that we keep near the door! Keeping them in bedrooms does sound like a better idea.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #17
photocat
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna1988 View Post

The first time I heard of a mudroom was when some Aussie's I know who had lived and worked in the US for about 10 years built a new house here, with a mudroom. A what? But their house is a renovated Victorian mansion with a heritage order on the outside of it, it is IMMENSE, so the mudroom fits in well. And is pretty big, not sure what size they are normally.

But that's not normal for Australian houses, my front door opens directly into a short, open hallway with the lounge about two feet away. And our garage is not accessible from inside the house.

So muddy boots get left outside the front door, coats and jackets go straight back into the bedroom wardrobe or a conveniently placed hallway closet (though that's mostly dh's and my stuff, not the boys). If coat/jackets/umbrellas are dripping they hang up in the bathroom to dry first. My boys have been trained to take their shoes off on the mat, then put them away in their room and put their socks straight into the laundry.

All that said, we don't typically get days in a row when we need boots. So once they have dried off, they live in the garage again till needed. But wet muddy shoes stay outside on the doormat until they can be cleaned up enough to come inside and be dried off by being draped around the lounge somehow....sigh.

Yeah, not a perfect system, but our winters are not extreme so it works for us.

Last edited by photocat; 03-07-2013 at 05:32 PM.
photocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #18
OurAllenBaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have seen a ton of awesome ideas on pinterest about how to make mudroom style storage in the garage. It would be super easy to put some storage by the door.

At least you have a garage! We have a small house with no garage and no mudroom or real entryway. So, we all keep our coats and shoes in our bedrooms.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:34 PM   #19
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurAllenBaby
I have seen a ton of awesome ideas on pinterest about how to make mudroom style storage in the garage. It would be super easy to put some storage by the door.

At least you have a garage! We have a small house with no garage and no mudroom or real entryway. So, we all keep our coats and shoes in our bedrooms.
Pinterest does have a lot of excellent ideas for this. It looks like we may be moving back to our home in the States...there's no mudroom. You enter the front door into a foyer that has a coat closet and shelves for shoes. The only issue is that it's carpeted. I'm thinking I may make a mudroom area in the garage and just have everyone enter that way instead. I hate dirt getting tracked in the home!
Old 03-08-2013, 01:48 AM   #20
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadmare
Marianna1988, too funny. Yes, some people actually have (usually small) rooms just for coats and shoes. The idea is you come in out of the weather, and can take off your coats and dirty shoes before entering the home. That way you don't get wet when you take off your coat, and you also don't shake put or track in snow, dirt, rain etc. in the main living area. Although I've never actually lived somewhere that had a mudroom, I think they are pretty neat.
Oh, that's pretty cool. I've never heard of that. I was thinking it was likes giant shared closet or something
~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote