Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-07-2013, 08:48 AM   #1
PinkDenial
Registered Users

Organizing clothes for two kids

Our new baby is due in July, and we plan on having DS and baby share a room once the baby sleeps through the night. I'm having a hard time planning how to organize their clothes. Right now, DS's clothes hang or are folded on one of those fabric shelf things that hangs in the closet...hope that makes sense. I don't love it.

I could get two small 3-drawer chest of drawers, one for each kid. I like that DS would be able to reach his own clothes, and put their own special items on top. I don't like that it would take up twice as much room.

I could get a tall chest of drawers, and have them both share. I like that it takes up less room, but I don't like that I'll nearly always have to be the one getting clothes out/putting them in.

Or, I could get an Elfa free-standing drawer unit from the Container Store. It's basically wire baskets instead of drawers. I like that it would fit in the dresser and free up floor space. But again, it's tall so I'd be the only one accessing it.

The closet isn't big enough to put the dressers inside and hang the clothes above, which is what I'd really like to do. IT also has the crawlspace and attic accesses, so we can't install a permanent organizer.

I don't need to leave room for toys...we have a separate room for them.

I'm open to any suggestions you have! Thank you!

Advertisement

PinkDenial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:54 AM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: Organizing clothes for two kids

If you did a tall chest of drawers, put DS's clothes in the bottom drawers so he can still reach them and the baby's clothes at top, at you'll have to get the baby's clothes anyway. As they get older, if they are still sharing a room, you can switch the clothes so DS can get his clothes out of the higher drawers (possibly with a step stool) and the little one can get their clothes from the bottom.

The other option would be to get the two shorter chests of drawers and put them (or one of them) in the closet so they take up less actual room space. We've done that in a couple of our houses, where the kids really didn't need as much closet space as they had.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
BrownCowMama
Registered
seller

So this doesn't meet all your requirements, but here's our set up for 3 kids, and baby clothes are in our room.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-59787761.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	136286

Our closet is open so it fits in there, but if you can put other stuff in your closet to free up floor space for something like this,... We love it! Each kiddo had their own row!
BrownCowMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkDenial
Our new baby is due in July, and we plan on having DS and baby share a room once the baby sleeps through the night. I'm having a hard time planning how to organize their clothes. Right now, DS's clothes hang or are folded on one of those fabric shelf things that hangs in the closet...hope that makes sense. I don't love it.

I could get two small 3-drawer chest of drawers, one for each kid. I like that DS would be able to reach his own clothes, and put their own special items on top. I don't like that it would take up twice as much room.

I could get a tall chest of drawers, and have them both share. I like that it takes up less room, but I don't like that I'll nearly always have to be the one getting clothes out/putting them in.

Or, I could get an Elfa free-standing drawer unit from the Container Store. It's basically wire baskets instead of drawers. I like that it would fit in the dresser and free up floor space. But again, it's tall so I'd be the only one accessing it.

The closet isn't big enough to put the dressers inside and hang the clothes above, which is what I'd really like to do. IT also has the crawlspace and attic accesses, so we can't install a permanent organizer.

I don't need to leave room for toys...we have a separate room for them.

I'm open to any suggestions you have! Thank you!
My kids share a dresser. We got rid of our old one when we moved, but I liked the set up. I woud lik something similar when we get our new house. It was 9 drawers. 3 large on the left, 3 small in the middl, 3 large on the right. The top drawers were all diapers, cover, and accessories. The 2 lwer left large drawers were YDS, the 2 lower right were ODS. I try to keep their clothes as minimal as possible, so they all fit in those 2 allotted drawers (it wouldn't work with like teenagers, but baby clothes are small lol) Thin blankets were in the middle small drawer, sweaters in the lowest small drawer. It was in the living room though, it was easier since I do laundry while they are napping and we do diaper changes in the living room.
~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My boys have a small closet that is too small for a dresser to fit in. I hung two fabric organizers up. It's perfect because I can see everything and they can reach all but the top 'shelf'. Takes up almost no room.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

We store everything in the same dresser for all 3 kids + a drawer of diapers. In the past, we've used a longer short dresser with 6 drawers and more recently moved everything into a slightly taller (but not tall), medium length one with 4 drawers. Both dressers hold the same amount of clothes. The dressers have always doubled as changing tables, too. With a pad on top.

I like the kids being able to access their own stuff without fear of tipping the dresser.

It boiled down to making it fit. It won't work forever, but it does while they are little and their clothes are little. A few items hang in the closet, like fancy dresses and other infrequently worn items. But mostly it's in the dresser. Oldest DD has her own drawer, the 2 littler ones share a drawer, diapers in one, and all 3's PJ's in one. When there's too much and the drawers are bursting, it's time to pull a few things out.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #7
Chamomile Girl
Registered Users
seller

Wardrobes: I turned to IKEA for this one. My two share a 10x10 room, and I wanted something with a small footprint.

They are tall but we have them anchored to the wall.

Bonus is that because it is two separate units they can each have their own should we move to a bigger place.
Chamomile Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #8
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownCowMama View Post
So this doesn't meet all your requirements, but here's our set up for 3 kids, and baby clothes are in our room.

Attachment 136286

Our closet is open so it fits in there, but if you can put other stuff in your closet to free up floor space for something like this,... We love it! Each kiddo had their own row!
I LOVE this. It looks like it holds just as much as a dresser, but has a smaller footprint, won't kill anybody if it falls over, doesn't have drawers that can break or be climbed on/into, fits easily in a closet, and it can be repurposed for other things later if needed. If you are a folder, then that looks like the way to go.

Me, I am a hanger person. We double rod all the closets and put the in season little kid clothes on the bottom one so they can reach. Undies go in a bucket in the closet. No dressers here. My kids find it way easier to find stuff that matches when it's done this way, and I can more easily tell when stuff is too small.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #9
Lisathena
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We did a family closet, no clothes in the rooms except pajama's are in the girls's room because i like this dresser too much to get rid of here is a blog i did on it.
http://z-crew.blogspot.com/2012/02/weekend-project.html

and then an update showing the bedrooms free'd up (its about to change since we are adding another child in May)
http://z-crew.blogspot.com/2012/02/f...et-update.html

I know its not as minimal as alot of you mama's but maybe you will get an idea from it
Lisathena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:35 PM   #10
SenoraE
Registered Users
seller

Our boys have a 6 drawer dresser, but it's long. It's very similar to this one: