Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:
A true test to being a minimalist

well I'm moving, and the shipping rates doubled, so my already minimal house is being tested.

The kids just don't get it though, I just can't afford to ship everything they have and they are getting upset with me.

I had no idea the shipping prices doubled and baggage allowance halved. Do you know what you'd move if you had to pay $100+ a box to ship?

What if you just had a few suitcases for your family?

I'm even having to downsize the "baby stuff" I saved from the kids, how much do you save, who knows anymore. frustrating really

Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #2
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: A true test to being a minimalist

Take this for what you will, I'm not a sentimental person by any means, but I have very very few keepsakes for my kids. I have no idea what 'coming home' outfit they had on. Somewhere I have a few baptism things from my DD1 (others aren't baptized) that I'm totally thinking about tossing. I have one baby book from DD1 that's not finished, the other 2 don't have any. I'm a grown woman and I have no idea when I lost my first tooth, or rolled over, or when I walked, or tufts of baby hair, and even though I know my mom has all that junk, I just don't care. I'm still a happy, whole person. You don't need to feel weighed down by trying to keep all those things just in case your kids care someday.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth.scalf View Post
Take this for what you will, I'm not a sentimental person by any means, but I have very very few keepsakes for my kids. I have no idea what 'coming home' outfit they had on. Somewhere I have a few baptism things from my DD1 (others aren't baptized) that I'm totally thinking about tossing. I have one baby book from DD1 that's not finished, the other 2 don't have any. I'm a grown woman and I have no idea when I lost my first tooth, or rolled over, or when I walked, or tufts of baby hair, and even though I know my mom has all that junk, I just don't care. I'm still a happy, whole person. You don't need to feel weighed down by trying to keep all those things just in case your kids care someday.
I didn't want anything my mum kept but a plastic pull along turtle, which my kids have and it's loud.

Many of the clothes are stained from being in storage, I'm trying to keep a few books and a few toys (plastic/wood seems better for storage than cloth) but yeah I've gotten rid of more and more every move, but this time the shipping is beyond nuts.

I'm happier downsizing them my kids sadly. Which is hard on me, cause they try to make me feel guilty!
Old 03-12-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Are you moving overseas or hiring a mover or what? I've always just packed up the car, but I'm guessing this is a different scenario?

I think you have to weigh the cost to ship vs. the cost to rebuy the items later. Sell anything you aren't shipping to fund the new stuff. If it costs $100 to ship a box of clothes you can rebuy for less than $100, it doesn't make sense to ship it, kwim?
Old 03-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #5
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmisterkitty View Post
Are you moving overseas or hiring a mover or what? I've always just packed up the car, but I'm guessing this is a different scenario?

I think you have to weigh the cost to ship vs. the cost to rebuy the items later. Sell anything you aren't shipping to fund the new stuff. If it costs $100 to ship a box of clothes you can rebuy for less than $100, it doesn't make sense to ship it, kwim?
international. I know that for some stuff it's a no brainier, like the sofa. Clothes easily fit in the suitcase, am not a clothes hoarder

toys, books that stuff we're having fights over.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
leadmare
Registered Users
seller

Holy cow- $100 per box is a lot! We wouldn't take much, lol. Are your kids old enough to understand you can't afford to not take everything? That would be hard if they're little and feel like it was your fault. Maybe get Daddy involved in packing and minimizing so the kids don't feel like it's just Mommy who is the bad guy. Good luck with the move!
leadmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:11 PM   #7
mysticmomma1879
Registered Users
seller
seller

How about tell them you'll pay for the first box of stuff they want, and they have to pay for each one over that.
mysticmomma1879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #8
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmomma1879 View Post
How about tell them you'll pay for the first box of stuff they want, and they have to pay for each one over that.
I've tried so much with my older one to teach the concept of money. He gets a lot per tooth and for some chores so he can spend it. (he hordes it though ) and we've been to the bad parts of towns where he can see he's a lucky child

it doesn't seem to get through to get into him yet
Old 03-12-2013, 06:20 PM   #9
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

You could do what my BIL's parents did and put it in storage... they rented a unit for 10 years for about $60 a month - that's $7,000. And one day they decided to empty it and really didn't want anything left in there - it was just household stuff they didn't need or want anymore. So on garage sale day they walked away with about $100!! I feel sick to my stomach just imagining that. Whatever goes in the boxes you ship have to be worth that cost.
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:10 AM   #10
Bexo
Registered Users
seller

If it would cost $100 per/box, then saving baby clothes wouldn't be worth it...if you had another baby, it would be cheaper to buy new clothes! So I'd look at it that way.
~Mother to DS1 (7) DS2 (6) & DD (4) & DS3 (2) & due with baby #5 January 2016!
Bexo is offline   Reply With Quote