Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
myblessedbaby
Registered
seller

How long did it take for your child to get used to wearing glasses?

DS is 5 and we found out a week ago his vision is pretty bad. Today he got his glasses and he is not happy. He keeps saying he doesn't like them, doesn't like the way things look with them on, doesn't want to wear them. He is supposed to wear them all the time. Just wondering if this is a normal adjustment period or if his prescription is way off.

Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
katengrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How long did it take for your child to get used to wearing glasses?

My two oldest wear glasses. Dd2 started wearing them from day one with no problem. Dd1 took a little longer...like a couple months to where she will wear them all day long. I even took her back to the optometrist to double check her prescription...it was fine she was just being a stinker! Now, about a year and a half later she wears them with no problem at all.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #3
Wendylady
Registered Users

My oldest son just got his first pair of glasses and hasn't had any issues, worn them all day every day. However if your son keeps having issues I'd take him back to the eye doctor just to double check the prescription. My dh, with his last pair of glasses, had issues with them. Went back to the doctor and turned out it was the wrong prescription in one eye, she'd accidentally written the wrong number down. So got them replaced(for free of course) and he was fine after that.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #4
Harperboysrock
Registered Users

My aon had just turned 3 when we discovered his vision was pretty bad. Our optometrist suggested giving him only half the prescription strength glasses in thw begining so it would improve his vision some but not be so drastic the it gave him headaches.. the first few days he kept taking them off so i went to walmart and bought a strap for $3 from the vision center to keep it secured to his head. He does great with them now.
Harperboysrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:57 PM   #5
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

DS got glasses at age 5. His vision was so bad though that he was too excited about what he could suddenly see to take them off.

Maybe offer an incentive? Every day he wears them give him a sticker and after so many stickers he gets a reward of some sort. Hopefully by then he'll be used to them and it won't be a big deal.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
5 of my kids have glasses. They can take up to a week to adjust. But mine all took to theirs right away because their vision was so bad prior.

Just keep putting them on. It's rare for the rx to be off. He just isn't used to wearing them yet.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:25 PM   #7
7mom7
Registered Users

My DS was 2 when he got his first pair. He fought so bad the first day but from then on he's loved them. His vision is really bad so he can't see a thing without them. You can get some really cheap glasses online...there are several places but we've used Zenni optical. DS likes having options. It might make it more fun for him to have some fun colors and styles to choose from.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #8
lemurmommies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My son got his glasses a few weeks before turning 5. At first he cried because he hated the way things looked when he looked through them, and everything looked double to him. His eyes were so bad that he needed to learn how to relax into his prescription instead of always straining his eyes to see. It took him 3-4 days before he got used to them. He won't do anything without them now.
lemurmommies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:51 PM   #9
myblessedbaby
Registered
seller

It's good to know my DS isn't the only one who's needed an adjustment period. Thanks for sharing all your experiences. I guess it'll just take him a few days to get used to them.
He did pick out the frames himself. I think he was surprised when he tried on the "same" glasses and everything looked different because he was seeing it through the prescription lenses rather than the plain ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurmommies View Post
My son got his glasses a few weeks before turning 5. At first he cried because he hated the way things looked when he looked through them, and everything looked double to him. His eyes were so bad that he needed to learn how to relax into his prescription instead of always straining his eyes to see. It took him 3-4 days before he got used to them. He won't do anything without them now.
That is something DS said while playing with his legos this afternoon. I hope he'll be able to relax into his glasses like your DS.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:17 PM   #10
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Three of our children wear glasses. DD2 got hers at 28mo, DS1 got his at 4 1/2, and DD3 at just under 24mo. We have been very lucky because they all put them on and left them on. I expected DD3 to be tougher because her prescription is very strong but it went really well. I bet after a few days of wearing them he will be fine. I agree with incentives for keeping them on. I am not above a bribe