Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-07-2013, 06:55 AM   #1
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Help me plan DD's birthday party?

DD turns 3 next month. I will be almost nine months pregnant. I want to have a fun, interactive birthday party without too much manual labor

Here are my general theme ideas:
Pocoyo Treasure Hunt - Her absolute favorite thing to watch is "The Key to it All" from Pocoyo.
Bad Kitty Buffet - Her favorite books are Bad Kitty, Poor Puppy, and Bad Kitty Gets a Bath.
Spider-Man - the only actual request she has made about her party is "Grandma, Grandpa, and Spider-Man will be at my party. And chocolate cake."

I personally like the Bad Kitty one best, because I think it would be fun to make all the silly foods from the book. I think the Pocoyo one could be fun if I could find a lot of activities needing /using keys. Help me brainstorm? What would you do?

Advertisement

Old 03-07-2013, 11:30 AM   #2
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Bump, anyone?
Old 03-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
If you want a no effort party then do it somewhere just a bouncy house place. I normally do everything from scratch for DDs party but I said stuff it this year. We did it at the bounce house and basically just had to show up with cake and the birthday girl.

I know nothing about pocoyo or bad kitty so I can't really help you there. Sounds like more work than I'd be willing to do at 9 months preggo.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help me plan DD's birthday party?

I had 2 different 2 yr old's parties, both were with newborns (who were early, so I was planning on being preggo during the parties ). One, I did it at our house, it was a turtle party, and I did all the planning and games ahead of time. I think we just did snacks and cakes. The other was a crocodile party and we made ispy bags- super easy. I just got zippered pencil bags (with the clear window), a bunch of dry rice and beans, popcorn, etc for the fillers and then had little toys, animals, buttons, beads, etc for the spy stuff. I did NOT make the list of what to look for, I just let the kids fill them themselves as favors/craft. We also had it outside and did his fav foods- pita chips and hummus, fresh fruit, I don't rem what else. For the drinks I took frozen strawberries and had made up gallons of lemonade in advance and I put them together in the bullet for a slushy drink. Crocodile cupcakes. Also had some sidewalk chalk and the bubble machine going. Pretty low key.

Just plan out games/crafts, etc ahead of time, have the parents help. Make the cake and freeze it, have easy food....we were gonna have one of my son's parties the week before, but I had his brother the night before the party, so I postponed it (ONLY bc I didn't want the focus on the new baby, I was fine to do the party, lol). I'm glad I hadn't already bought the food etc (I normally do that the week of) and I had the food be something anyone could pick up for us except the cupcakes.

Can't help specifically bc I don't know of the movies/books you are talking about. You can do easy games like water ballons, relays, etc.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #5
anrmom21
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Could you have it at a park somewhere. We have a local park with a pavilion and its close to the playground. We are having ds's 3rd birthday party their next week that way I don't have to come up with activities the playground will keep all the kids occupied.
anrmom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #6
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by am_ryan21
Could you have it at a park somewhere. We have a local park with a pavilion and its close to the playground. We are having ds's 3rd birthday party their next week that way I don't have to come up with activities the playground will keep all the kids occupied.
The weather here is unpredictable in April - last year it was *barely* warm enough to do an outdoor party, but rained within minutes of everyone leaving.

I really want to do fun foods and decorations, so a prefab party at a bouncy place wouldn't really work.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #7
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help me plan DD's birthday party?

OK, here's the plan - I'd love to hear feedback on how your kids (age 2-6, mostly 3) would like/dislike this party (be honest!):

Bad Kitty Buffet - each food will have a sign with the picture from the book:
Buffalo Burritos (Mini Burritos)
Chicken Cheesecake (Mini Cheesecakes)
Hippo Hamburgers (Mini Burgers)
Insect Ice Cream (Grasshopper Ice Cream)
Jellyfish Jelly (Grape Jelly Dip)
Moose a la Mode (Chocolate Mousse Cupcakes)
Nightingale Nuggets (Chicken Nuggets)
Quail Quiche (Mini Quiche)
Rhino Ravioli (Mini Ravioli)
Variety of Vultures (Chicken Wings)
EXcess of Tyrannosaurus ReX (Dinosaur Nuggets)
Yak Yogurt (Yogurt Dip)

Uncle Murray's Favor Bar (in clear jars, self-serve, labelled with the pictures from the book):
Assortment of Anchovies (Swedish Fish)
Elephant Eggs (Gummy Fried Eggs)
Fried Flies (Candy Flies)
Penguin Pizza (Gummy Penguins)
Shark Sushi (Gummy Sharks)
Turtle Turnovers (Chocolate Turtles)

Games/Activities:
Donkey Named Dave (Pin the Tail on the Donkey)
Moose ala Mode (Decorate-your-own Chocolate Mousse cupcake)

It seems like alot, but the foods are all prefab stuff I can get at Costco and heat the day of, and the favors/candy are all available at Oriental Trading. The foods are also stuff that will come in handy for quick food after baby, so what isn't eaten won't be wasted. I can print out the signage at home, and the ILs can help with setup/tear down.

OK, what do you think?
Old 03-19-2013, 01:28 PM   #8
anrmom21
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
I think it sounds great.
anrmom21 is offline   Reply With Quote